Windows 10: Windows Explorer issue

Discus and support Windows Explorer issue in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I cannot be the only one here with this issue, but…. It seems all iterations of Windows 10 (and 8) have an issue where right clicking items on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sygnus21, Jun 2, 2017.

1. sygnus21 Win User

Windows Explorer issue

I cannot be the only one here with this issue, but…. It seems all iterations of Windows 10 (and 8) have an issue where right clicking items on the taskbar at some point in time quits working. Or the Start menu will fail to respond, or slowly respond when either left or right clicking it.

I’ve seen this behavior in Window 8, and all versions of 10 up to the latest non-insiders build (Version 1703, Build 10563.332).

A search of the issue on the net reveals the best way to deal with this is it to start Windows Explorer, start Task Manager and restart Windows Explorer. Works every time.

Windows Explorer issue [​IMG]

The problem is the issue constantly returns if Window has been up for any length of time. Have no idea why this happens and it seems no update has solved it.

Here's one thread on the issue, and it goes all the way back to Windows 8 - Windows Explorer Not Responding

Thoughts/Suggestions???

Mods, I posted this here for the widest dissemination to see how prevalent this issue really is. If it has to be moved I get it, but...

Thanks.

:)

sygnus21, Jun 2, 2017
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Windows Explorer Issue

Everyone is having this problem, for the moment the only thing that seems to work is, restarting Explorer.exe

Ctrl + Alt + Del to open Task Manager, Right click Windows Explorer in Processes and select re-start

DaveM121, Jun 2, 2017
  3. Ryan Tew Win User
    Windows Explorer Issue

Files which are in Windows Explorer don't highlight as they are selected or clicked on. It is really frustrating as you will not know which files are selected if when you're deleting files.

Ryan Tew, Jun 2, 2017
  4. f14tomcat Win User

Windows Explorer issue

Unfortunately, it's fairly common. IMO, the code gets "tired" or bloated up somehow. It's common enough that Shawn has made a "tweak" for the context menu to make it really simple to restart Explorer. When mine seems to just bog down or act weird, I just right click context menu and do it. Done.

Restart Explorer Context Menu - Add in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

f14tomcat, Jun 2, 2017
  5. sygnus21 Win User
    It's ridiculous you have to resort to such a thing, but I guess I'll be using Shawn's Context Menu. I can't believe MS hasn't solved this issue though, especially since it's been around long enough.

Thanks.

Just added the shortcut. Thanks for the info *Thumbs

sygnus21, Jun 2, 2017
  6. f14tomcat Win User
    You're welcome! *Smile

f14tomcat, Jun 2, 2017
  7. sygnus21 Win User
    Not a problem. I'd still like to leave this thread open for others to see, and perhaps use this temp fix until MS finally decides to address it.

Thanks.

sygnus21, Jun 2, 2017
  8. Windows Explorer issue

Do you have this applied? It might help a little, if it is caused by file Explorer.

Code: reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v "SeparateProcess" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer" /v "DesktopProcess" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f[/quote]

TairikuOkami, Jun 2, 2017
  9. dalchina New Member
    I've never experienced this (as you can see using the AU); my PC is on most of the day or in sleep mode- I shut it down at night, less usually during the day - and I have a LOT installed.

I'd compare performance in Safe Mode, then if that's ok, consider what shell extensions you have.
    (Oh, I don't use the Win 10 start menu, but haven't seen that fail to open on the odd occasion I've used it in answering a thread).

Of course then there are differences in hardware and drivers...

dalchina, Jun 2, 2017
  10. AndreTen Win User
    [/quote] Can you explain a bit - what are this reg keys for? @TairikuOkami

If i can add my 2 cents...

I've experienced delayed response on one occasion, like a year ago and sometimes in milder version later.. It turned out that network connection were in "recent" area of Explorer context menu (right clicking on taskbar..)

I have MyCloud on network and when it goes to sleep, it needs few seconds to respond. Right click menu tries to connect or at least verify that listed folders are available, hence the delay. Once, when I disconnect it temporary, explorer wasn't responding at all.

AndreTen, Jun 2, 2017
  11. TairikuOkami, Jun 2, 2017
  12. AndreTen Win User
    Thanks, was just checking, if this is some alternate variation.. usual warning for running Explorer this way:

AndreTen, Jun 2, 2017
  13. sygnus21 Win User

Windows Explorer issue

[/quote] Not sure what this is but the suggestion from f14tomcat works. Regardless, it would be nice if MS FINALLY fixed this issue.

sygnus21, Jun 3, 2017
  14. sygnus21 Win User
    You would be in the minority than since this is a known issue since Windows 8. Has nothing to do with hardware & drivers. Anyway if your machine is running perfect, be happy.

You might want to research the issue before decrying it nothing. You might also (re)-read f14tomcat's post.

sygnus21, Jun 3, 2017
  15. dalchina New Member
    One thing you cannot do, @sygnus21, is deny someone's experience of something. That also means I accept someone else is experiencing these symptoms,

I'm merely suggesting there might just possibly be a cause.

dalchina, Jun 3, 2017
Thema:

Windows Explorer issue

1. Windows Explorer issue - Similar Threads - Explorer issue

2. File explorer issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer issue: This just started: I open Windows File Explorer and can see the files and on the left I can see the recent files and quick access but..... above the files the navigation bar and the tab row is just a grey area - how can I fix this?...
  3. File explorer issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer issue: This just started: I open Windows File Explorer and can see the files and on the left I can see the recent files and quick access but..... above the files the navigation bar and the tab row is just a grey area - how can I fix this?...
  4. My files open as internet explorer and they are litematica I dont know what the issue is I...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My files open as internet explorer and they are litematica I dont know what the issue is I...: My files open as internet explorer and they are litematica I dont know what the issue is I have java downloded Can soemone help Plz its only minecraft filles scheamticas...
  5. My files open as internet explorer and they are litematica I dont know what the issue is I...

My files open as internet explorer and they are litematica I dont know what the issue is I...: My files open as internet explorer and they are litematica I dont know what the issue is I have java downloded Can soemone help Plz its only minecraft filles scheamticas...
  6. Anyone else having issues with File Explorer after the update to 23H2?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Anyone else having issues with File Explorer after the update to 23H2?: Constant crashes of file explorer with this build. Seems to occur with like every other build. Microsoft will finally fix it with one build and then break it AGAIN with the next build. File explorer especially crashes with my Samsung S23 Ultra when connected by USB-C to...
  7. Anyone else having issues with File Explorer after the update to 23H2?

Anyone else having issues with File Explorer after the update to 23H2?: Constant crashes of file explorer with this build. Seems to occur with like every other build. Microsoft will finally fix it with one build and then break it AGAIN with the next build. File explorer especially crashes with my Samsung S23 Ultra when connected by USB-C to...
  8. How do I fix the issues with my PC Files Explorer "Account disconnected" but it not loading?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I fix the issues with my PC Files Explorer "Account disconnected" but it not loading?: Recently I have been having issues with my PC and Microsoft. My files explorer said "Account Disconnected" and when I pressed it, it just loads and doesn't show anything. All it says is a "Just a moment..." loading screen but nothing pops up at all....
  9. How do I fix the issues with my PC Files Explorer "Account disconnected" but it not loading?

How do I fix the issues with my PC Files Explorer "Account disconnected" but it not loading?: Recently I have been having issues with my PC and Microsoft. My files explorer said "Account Disconnected" and when I pressed it, it just loads and doesn't show anything. All it says is a "Just a moment..." loading screen but nothing pops up at all....
  10. Please fix Windows explorer lag issue on Windows 11 22H2 build latest

Please fix Windows explorer lag issue on Windows 11 22H2 build latest: After the January update KB5034204..windows explorer is lagging like a hell.. I need to restart the windows exploere task from task manager in order to use it properly. I am using windows 11 22H2 build. Please microsoft fix this annoying bug immediately.. can't use the...