Windows 10: Windows Explorer Poor Performance: multiple issues with drives

Discus and support Windows Explorer Poor Performance: multiple issues with drives in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Recently after some changes to my PC windows explorer has become very slow at performing specific tasks: 1. Trying to view the properties of folders... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Ocman76, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Ocman76 Win User

Windows Explorer Poor Performance: multiple issues with drives

Recently after some changes to my PC windows explorer has become very slow at performing specific tasks:

1. Trying to view the properties of folders takes anywhere from 5-8 seconds when it used to take less than one.

2. When I open folders that have lots of images in them, it takes 3-6 seconds for windows to load the previews of the images.

3. This Windows Live Mail issue that I created a separate thread about.

My PC has a SSD for the OS and a HDD for storage. It doesn't matter which of these drives I am accessing with windows explorer, they both have the above problems.

As for the recent changes to my PC:
    I recently was screwing around with my drive partitions and made a really stupid mistake. I accidentally created a new volume which took up my whole secondary HDD (not my OS drive). Thankfully some quick google searching got me a free software that recovered my partitions and after a quick reboot my PC appeared to be working fine again.

But now I have all these weird problems and have no idea how to fix them.
    Short of a clean windows 10 install, does anybody have any suggestions?

:)

Ocman76, Oct 25, 2015
  2. WayneRupp Win User

Multiple issues once again with Windows 10 PC

Hi Greg,

The original poster, Zino Clipz, System Diagnostics Test, reports multiple issues such as the CPU, GPU, and Memory performance, all rated as "poor" according to test results.

Is this a red flag warning by his System Diagnostics or could the test results be in error? He has performed the Diagnostics Test multiple times with the same negative results. Can you comment on this please?

Thanks,

Wayne

WayneRupp, Oct 25, 2015
  3. Windows Explorer crash When Moving or opening Files

I am having the multiple explorer windows opening problem to....If I click on my D/ drive it will open in two file explorer windows as well

Michael Mehrhoff, Oct 25, 2015
  4. Windows Explorer Poor Performance: multiple issues with drives

Have you looked at the drive space lately on the SSD or OS drive? Often once the "C" drive fills up things will tend to slow down. Previously with 7 I ended up seeing a clean install following the restoration of a full system image shortly before that back in May 2013. The clean install came about a month later when WE was still "Not responding" and finally I simply made new shortcuts to the "explorer.exe" system file in the Windows directory itself to see a few new shortcut and pinned items from.

The most common slow downs with access times however are seen when something is writing to a folder or drive in the background such as to the paging file if you have an app running or the maintainence schedule has kicked in automatically for seeing the drive defragmented without your notice being run by Windows in the background. Your av program may be running a silent scan to sweep for any bugs.. Don't think for a moment this is a 10 issue only! it goes all the way back ot 9x in fact.

Night Hawk, Oct 25, 2015
  5. Ocman76 Win User
    Hello Night Hawk, thank you for your response.

My SSD and HDD have a fair amount of space on them currently:

Windows Explorer Poor Performance: multiple issues with drives [​IMG]

I am getting this problem on a consistent basis, any time. This has been going on for over a week, so an automatic defragmentation or virus scan is not the culprit.

My disk usage also is sitting at 0% when this problem occurs, I just confirmed with task manager.

I really don't want to do a clean OS reinstall, but I haven't found any other options yet :/

Ocman76, Oct 25, 2015
  6. The problem I've had is probably a different one, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

I, too, experienced extreme sluggishness, but it was temporary. It lasted maybe 10-15 minutes and then cleared up. This was after the system had been running fine for days. My malware detection and protection products (Kaspersky Internet Security 2015, and Malwarebytes (the free version) found nothing. I have no idea what caused this, and I've seen no reports of similar problems, but something sure slowed my Win10 box down for a while.

No suggestions for the OP, but I feel (have felt) your pain. I hope your problem has cleared up by now.

pokeefe0001, Oct 25, 2015
  7. You will notice that C is filling up fast so keep a close watch there since SSDs are typically much smaller in size. I can't even or won't consider one here until the 1tb models don't cost the same amount I could use to put a new case together with! *Rolleyes

Even when the drives are not being accessed another thought that comes to mind is what may be running in the background at the same you are having the File Explorer(Previously Windows Explorer) type problems. While my 2013 clean install was overdue anyways back then I never was able to isolate the exact reason why WE windows would suddenly bind up.

Likewise 10 has been seeing an usual oddity of a similar nature only this is where nothing on the main taskbar does anything when clicked on until signing out and then back in again following a full restart of the system at times and other times when only having signed out due to a setting change.

I suspect the two different types of problems are Windows related in either case as well as the 10-15 minute time frame pokefe0001 has been encountering as well. When previously running into this back in 2013 the clean install only helped a little bit but wasn't any lasting solution as you would think it would be. Keep track of the Task Manager and just what processes are running at the time to get an idea of what may be playing tag with Explorer windows.

Night Hawk, Oct 25, 2015
  8. lx07 Win User

Explorer issues like this are often caused by shell extensions. Try disabling all the non-Microsoft ones with shexview as described here.

9. You won't find that many that are not MS! Here there were 3 for Acronis TI, a few for the av software, and a few singles for other small apps lingering around.

"NirSoft... NirSoft... NirSoft... and... " when going to download this for a fast look just now I found I couldn't save it for any of the usual folders since it was already downloaded for 7 and copied over to 10 as well as unpacked. I just never got around to creating a shortcut. I knew it looked familiar however. That place is loaded up with utility apps for different categories but are mostly Legacy-XP types.

Night Hawk, Oct 25, 2015
  10. Ocman76 Win User
    I disabled all non-Microsoft shell extensions, no change in my issues. *Sad

Ocman76, Oct 26, 2015
  11. PJLLB Win User
    Maybe the search index needs to be rebuilt after you messed with the partitions.

PJLLB, Oct 26, 2015
  12. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

As the last poster suggested, it may be "Search" (AKA Crawl (how apt !) ) related.

I had issues like this too which disappeared once the indices were fully rebuild. Eventviewer logs this.
    Once that's sorted the problem seems to go away somewhat but I do notice exporer being hesistant sometimes to go from one item to an other in a dropdown menu (as the one used for copying etc).
    Either way, this seems to be an intermittent problem. The hardest ones to pin down really.

You could of course disable the search service entirely. Personally I don't need this as I tend to remember were all the files go most of the time. YMMV.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Oct 26, 2015
  13. Ocman76 Win User

This fixed all my problems! WOOHOOO!!!!! *Biggrin

Thanks for the suggestion!!!!!

Ocman76, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Explorer Poor Performance: multiple issues with drives - Similar Threads - Explorer Poor Performance

2. struggling with poor performance

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    struggling with poor performance: I made a lot of work on the computer for the past month and I know that I notice that from time to time it will runs slower that the previous day. It became harder and harder for me to work since its slow and I cant finish task on the machine. This is a personal computer and...
  3. struggling with poor performance

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    struggling with poor performance: I made a lot of work on the computer for the past month and I know that I notice that from time to time it will runs slower that the previous day. It became harder and harder for me to work since its slow and I cant finish task on the machine. This is a personal computer and...
  4. Poor Performance

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Poor Performance: Hi, I have a big problem with my HP laptop. It has Intel Core i3-7100U, intel graphics 620 and 4 GB ram. I don't know what to do, I've tried using CCleaner and other tutorials online but nothing worked. Seems like disk usage variates, by the time I finished writing this, disk...
  5. Poor Performance

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Poor Performance: Hi, I have a big problem with my HP laptop. It has Intel Core i3-7100U, intel graphics 620 and 4 GB ram. I don't know what to do, I've tried using CCleaner and other tutorials online but nothing worked. Seems like disk usage variates, by the time I finished writing this, disk...
  6. Poor Performance

7. poor performance, hangups

in Windows 10 Gaming
    poor performance, hangups: My Win 10 desktop is again performing so badly it is unusable. Windows explorer hangs up as well as web searches. A restart takes at least 10 minutes....."please wait"Peter Bresler...
  8. Poor performance

Poor performance: I have a new eurocom computer and have been having very bad performance issues. I takes like 10 minutes to even boot and the general system performance is bad once it has booted. Hard drive usage is almost always at 100% and when it isn't the computer works as it should but...
  9. Windows 10 Poor Hard Drive Performance

Windows 10 Poor Hard Drive Performance: Since I installed windows 10, this has been an issue, I am running on a RAID array, running a raid 6 over 15 disks approx (using 3 sets)... Which none of that matters, this problem happens on any configuration I have tried. My OS drive maxes out at 100% usage even when it...
  10. Poor Performance

Poor Performance: I upgraded Windows 7 Home Edition to Windows 10 years ago when it was first released and performance has been absolutely awful, I'd finally had enough a couple of days ago and decided to sacrifice my years of files and programmes to do a completely fresh reinstall of windows....