Windows 10: Windows Explorer Right-Click Takes a Long Time to Display Menu

Discus and support Windows Explorer Right-Click Takes a Long Time to Display Menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, For reasons I am unaware of, my previously-bulletproof Windows 10 Pro has developed an annoying problem. When I right-click a file in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by EasyGoingPat, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Windows Explorer Right-Click Takes a Long Time to Display Menu

Hi,

For reasons I am unaware of, my previously-bulletproof Windows 10 Pro has developed an annoying problem. When I right-click a file in the right-hand pane of Explorer, the context menu can take in excess of 30 seconds to appear. Generally, this happens only the first time after a new boot. It does subsequently get a bit faster, but I am still sure it is slower than it was a couple of weeks back.

I haven't installed any new software, but I think at least one Windows Update may have been applied. I can't recall if the fault beginning coincided with a Windows Update.

Does anyone know what might be wrong and more importantly how I might fix this?

Kind wishes ~ Patrick

:)

EasyGoingPat, Jun 20, 2016

2. Right click menu on desktop takes long time to appear in Windows10

Hi Ramesh,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10.

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue and we are happy to help you.

Try the following methods and check if it helps:

Method 1:

I suggest you to run the System Maintenance troubleshooter and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

1. Type troubleshooting in the search bar.

2. Select Troubleshooting.

3. Select View all on the top left corner.

4. Click on System Maintenance.

5. Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.

If the issue persists then follow the below method.

Method 2: Perform System File Checker (SFC) scan.

Try to run a System File Checker (SFC) scan to check for any file corruption. SFC scan will scan for corrupt system files on the computer and repair them.

1. Press Windows key +
    X
    , click Command Prompt (Admin).

2. In the Command Prompt, type the following command, and then press
    ENTER:

sfc /scannow

If the issue persists then follow the below method.

Method 2: DISM Commands.

Fix Windows corruption errors by using the DISM.

Refer to the below link on how to perform DISM commands.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947821

Note: The steps for Windows 8.1 applies to Windows 10.

Reference: Refer to the following Microsoft article on
    Windows 10 help & how-to.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/support

Hope this information is helpful. Do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, Jun 20, 2016
  3. Right click menu on desktop takes long time to appear in Windows10

I have just upgraded my Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. In the first installation, the upgrade was unable to complete. Actually I got a Download of 2.7GB. I downloaded the upgrade. Then again I got a download
    of 2.7 GB. I too downloaded the same.

Just yesterday Morning I installed Windows 10 in my Laptop. Everything Goes nice except the pop up menu which appears when i right click. It took nearly 15 seconds to appear for refreshing.It was totally
    disappointing.

What can be the possible reason behind this. Any way to fix this?

RameshSankaralingam, Jun 20, 2016
  4. swarfega Win User

Windows Explorer Right-Click Takes a Long Time to Display Menu

Do you do this as soon as the desktop appears? Because if you do, programs are probably still loading.

Have you performed any software maintenance on your pc in a while? Things I run on a weekly basis are ccleaner, wise disk cleaner, SuperAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes, <your chosen AV software> and Windows Defrag.

Another thing to try is sfc:

1. open "cmd" as administrator
    2. type in sfc /scannow (the space before the / is important)
    3. check the results when finished.

swarfega, Jun 20, 2016
  5. Thank you for the reply.

I have Norton running and it has reported no problems.

sfc /scannow also reports no problems.

The system disk is an SSD, so I don't think that should be the source of the slow-down.

- Patrick

6. shimshom Win User
    shimshom, Jun 20, 2016
  7. I will try both of those. Unfortunately, because this behaviour only happens once per reboot, it is going to take me a while to locate the culprit. If/when I do, I'll post my findings. In the meantime, thank you.

- Patrick

8. Windows Explorer Right-Click Takes a Long Time to Display Menu

ShellExView seems to have cured the problem, but I had to disable pretty much everything non-Microsoft to do it. So now I guess I have to slowly re-enable things one-by-one, to try to spot the one that was causing the problem.

Thank you for the help.

Kind wishes ~ Patrick

EasyGoingPat, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows Explorer Right-Click Takes a Long Time to Display Menu

1. Windows Explorer Right-Click Takes a Long Time to Display Menu - Similar Threads - Explorer Right Click

2. windows 11 Right click context menu takes long time to load

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 Right click context menu takes long time to load: I don't know what's causing the problem, I've tried everything I uninstalled some programs and deactivated all external add-ons using shexview-x64 The problem has not been solved yet Is there any way to find out the cause of the problem?i recorded the problem...
  3. windows 11 Right click context menu takes long time to load

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 11 Right click context menu takes long time to load: I don't know what's causing the problem, I've tried everything I uninstalled some programs and deactivated all external add-ons using shexview-x64 The problem has not been solved yet Is there any way to find out the cause of the problem?i recorded the problem...
  4. Files in Explorer taking a long time to display

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files in Explorer taking a long time to display: Similar to a question only asked very recently, my case might be the same. The problem is Explorer not displaying files for some time after selecting a folder and this seems to have happened following my recent update to Win10 21H1 although I cannot be certain. This problem...
  5. Right click on Desktop takes long time

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Right click on Desktop takes long time: For some reason when I use the RMB while in desktop it takes around 5 seconds to open and only in desktop... In games,Programs,etc.... it is smooth. Any way to fix that? submitted by /u/AhmedKiller2015 [link] [comments]...
  6. Right Click takes long time to appear Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Right Click takes long time to appear Windows 10: Hello, I'm facing a problem regarding my laptop's right click menu. It takes a long time for the menu to appear when i use my right click about 30-60 seconds. It is very frustrating as it makes the cursor unable to use on the desktop while it is loading. I...
  7. Right click on desktop takes long to open

Right click on desktop takes long to open: When i right click on my mouse to open the quick menu to create a file or map it takes 4 seconds to load. Any fix? submitted by /u/midsty [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/irjhzu/right_click_on_desktop_takes_long_to_open/
  8. Right click menu on File Explorer icon in Taskbar Takes too long to open. Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Right click menu on File Explorer icon in Taskbar Takes too long to open. Windows 10: Right Clicking on File Explorer shows a list of pinned folders and frequently accessed folders. It is a neat feature and very helpful. But if there are Network locations eg. a folder on another computer on my network in Frequent or Pinned folders and that network location or...
  9. Right Click On Image Takes Long To Load

Right Click On Image Takes Long To Load: Hi everyone, I've been experiencing this problem for a while now which is as stated in the title. Whenever I right click on an image file (jpg, png, bmp) it takes like a minute to load. The cursor turns into the loading icon but I can still use other softwares or apps like...
  10. Right Click on Desktop Context Menu take a long time to show up

in Windows 10 Support
    Right Click on Desktop Context Menu take a long time to show up: Hello everyone, I have a strange problem where my PC would idle and take a long time for the Contextual Menu to show up when I Right Click on a blank space on the Desktop. It literally take about 10 - 15 seconds for the Menu to show up. After that it is fast again. Then...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows right click takes a long time

2. windows explorer right click long time

3. windows explorer long time to right-click

4. windows explorer right click takes long white icons