Windows 10: Windows Explorer running slow when I rename or delete files

Discus and support Windows Explorer running slow when I rename or delete files in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; When I try to rename or delete a file Windows Explorer freezes for an average of 20 seconds. I opened my running processes to see what I could find,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Emanuscript, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Windows Explorer running slow when I rename or delete files

When I try to rename or delete a file Windows Explorer freezes for an average of 20 seconds. I opened my running processes to see what I could find, and during this 20 second period it reads "Not Responding" next to Windows explorer (as seen in image).

Windows Explorer running slow when I rename or delete files [​IMG]

I've taken my drive to a shop to see if my HD was possibly failing, but it passed all tests. This just started happening suddenly, and I've looked all over for a solution. It also affects any apps like Photoshop in the 'Save As' or 'export' dialogues it moves really slow. *Mad Please help! I haven't been able to pin-point a file type specifically affected because I have tried this with media files like PSDs all the way down to TXT files types.

I'm on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit upgraded from 7 Pro 64-bit if that matters.

:)

Emanuscript, Mar 10, 2016
  2. Brimar22 Win User

Deleted (or Renamed) files remain in file explorer view

When I delete a file in File Explorer (right click - delete) the file remains in view. If I click on it it says they can't find the file, "Was it moved renamed or deleted"? I must close file explorer and re-open it to update it. The same thing happens
    if a file is renamed, the old name stays in view and the file is not accessible using the old name.

It used to be that explorer updated these file changes immediately and I could stay working in file explorer without having to close and update. Is there a setting for this that I can change so the File Explorer updates immediately?

Brimar22, Mar 10, 2016
  3. Windows 10 explorer can't create, delete or rename folders anymore

Can't you perform a system restore before this problem started happening? Make sure the latest Windows Updates are installed Press Windows key + X Click Command Prompt (Admin) Type in at the prompt OR Copy and Paste these one at a time : (Hit enter after
    each) Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth Which Antivirus and security utilities do you have installed? Can you confirm if the problem exists in another user account? Open
    Start, type: CMD Right click CMD then click Run as administrator At the Command Prompt, type: sfc/scannow This will check for any integrity violations Restart your system Go to View, in any folder, then select Options and then Change folder and search options.
    The Folder Options window opens. Under Privacy: Deselect “Show frequently use folders in Quick access.” Deselect “Show recently used folders in Quick access.” Then click on “Clear” and OK to save your preferences.

Andre Da Costa, Mar 10, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Windows Explorer running slow when I rename or delete files

Hi, assuming
    a. your hardware is ok
    b. Windows files are intact

I suggest you do the following to see if something installed is doing this.
    Try
    a. a clean boot
    Clean Boot - Perform in Windows 10 to Troubleshoot Software Conflicts - Windows 10 Forums

b. if that makes no difference, then use Shellexview (free).
    Hide all MS extensions
    Disable all others
    (Note with 64 bit Windows the 32 bit option shows other extensions)
    Retry.
    (Allows you to check for the effect of context menu and shell extensions which sometimes have unexpected effects - out of date or badly written programs).

dalchina, Mar 10, 2016
  5. I was preparing my computer for a reformat, so I removed my empty partition from my non-WinOS HD (D drive) and extended that drive to fill the whole 1TB. I did one backup before doing any of this just in case, walked away from my computer for 2 hours, came back, and everything WORKED FINE AGAIN. Renaming, deleting, and even Photoshop save as prompts didn't lag anymore!!!! *Confused The weird thing is I was only trying to rename/delete files on my C drive where my OS is, and that's where the issue was. I checked for Windows updates, and the only thing that updated yesterday was an Adobe Update, so I'm thinking Adobe Acrobat right click feature was to blame here. ANYWAYS, thanks for offering your help @ dalchina!!!!!!! *Smile

Emanuscript, Mar 11, 2016
  6. Oh and that Clean boot link also was very helpful. Got rid of an old Akamai Session (Licensing Cache) that 3D Studio Max left behind after an uninstall. *Cool

Emanuscript, Mar 11, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Glad it helped. Note those two basic techniques for diagnosis of conflicting programs or delays or problems with the context menu.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows Explorer running slow when I rename or delete files

1. Windows Explorer running slow when I rename or delete files - Similar Threads - Explorer running slow

2. File explorer running exceedingly slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer running exceedingly slow: In the last 7 months Im witnessing file explorerand a few apps only starting to run progressively slow on my win 11. It started with negligible time delays to now when it takes about 30-40 secs for any and every folder to open. Downloads and uploads to and from folders to...
  3. File explorer running exceedingly slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer running exceedingly slow: In the last 7 months Im witnessing file explorerand a few apps only starting to run progressively slow on my win 11. It started with negligible time delays to now when it takes about 30-40 secs for any and every folder to open. Downloads and uploads to and from folders to...
  4. File explorer crashing on windows 11 when renaming, moving or deleting PDF files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer crashing on windows 11 when renaming, moving or deleting PDF files: I have windows 11 and everytime I want to rename, delete or move a pdf file, my file explorer crashes. What is the cause and how can I fix? The only way i found around moving and renaming is by opening the pdf in microsoft edge and saving as a new file, which creates...
  5. File explorer crashing on windows 11 when renaming, moving or deleting PDF files

File explorer crashing on windows 11 when renaming, moving or deleting PDF files: I have windows 11 and everytime I want to rename, delete or move a pdf file, my file explorer crashes. What is the cause and how can I fix? The only way i found around moving and renaming is by opening the pdf in microsoft edge and saving as a new file, which creates...
  6. File Explorer was Renamed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer was Renamed: I don't know when exacly this happened but somehow my file explorer was renamed to File Explorer1. I think i unconciously copied and pasted file explorer because it shows "1". how to fix this ? from File Explorer 1 to File Explorer.1. Using Search2. Right Clicking The Flie...
  7. File Explorer was Renamed

File Explorer was Renamed: I don't know when exacly this happened but somehow my file explorer was renamed to File Explorer1. I think i unconciously copied and pasted file explorer because it shows "1". how to fix this ? from File Explorer 1 to File Explorer.1. Using Search2. Right Clicking The Flie...
  8. Windows File Explorer running extremely slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows File Explorer running extremely slow: Hi All!I have been having trouble with file explorer over the past 3 months, with it running extremely slow. It will take upwards of 40 seconds to go from one folder to the next. I have tried resetting explorer and indexing my files with no success. I also attempted to stop...
  9. Windows File Explorer running extremely slow

Windows File Explorer running extremely slow: Hi All!I have been having trouble with file explorer over the past 3 months, with it running extremely slow. It will take upwards of 40 seconds to go from one folder to the next. I have tried resetting explorer and indexing my files with no success. I also attempted to stop...
  10. Windows File Explorer running extremely slow

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows explorer rename slow

2. file exlorer slow to rename file

3. SLOW TO RENAME FOLDER ON STICK

4. windows 7 search caused rename folder slow,
  5. microsoft file explorer very slow to delete or rename files