Windows 10: Windows Explorer Shows Disc with MORE space used than is used by files

Discus and support Windows Explorer Shows Disc with MORE space used than is used by files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am hoping someone can help me. I am operating a Dell Precision 5520 that is a 2 - 3 years old. I have 500G harddive - that shows about 453G that is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mmclaren, Aug 14, 2018.

1. mmclaren Win User

Windows Explorer Shows Disc with MORE space used than is used by files

I am hoping someone can help me. I am operating a Dell Precision 5520 that is a 2 - 3 years old. I have 500G harddive - that shows about 453G that is usable.

Of the 453G - Windows Explorer is showing that I only have about 7.7G free. However, if I add up all the space required by the files/folders - I am only around 100G, meaning I should have almost 353G free. I have unhidden the hidden files (except the operating files) - so my 100G is including those hidden folders.

I have a feeling it has something to do with previous use of dropbox, but I have searched and can't find any old unremoved dropbox folders/files.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Windows Explorer Shows Disc with MORE space used than is used by files [​IMG]

:)

mmclaren, Aug 14, 2018

2. Using File explorer can stop given preview

Hi,

We understand the issue you are facing and will assist you.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Open File Explorer.
    • Click on View.
    • Click on Preview pane.

If the issue still persists,

• Open File explorer.
    • Click on View.
    • Click on Folder options.
    • Under View tab, check the option for Always show icons, never thumbnails.
    • Click on Apply and OK.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Aug 14, 2018
  3. Disc for windows 7 to run on windows 10

Hi Jane,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to read the Windows 7 disc and check if it helps.

• Insert Windows 7 disc.
    • Press “Windows+E” which will open file explorer.
    • There you will find the Windows 7 disc.
    • Open the disc and copy the files anywhere on your computer, so that you can access the information from the disc.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Aug 14, 2018
  4. boba4780 Win User

Using File Explorer

Thanks for your advice. I'll now work through all your suggestions. I didn't move to Windows 8 so any changes there passed me by.

Bob Andrew

boba4780, Aug 14, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Explorer Shows Disc with MORE space used than is used by files - Similar Threads - Explorer Shows Disc

2. Used space is more than size of all files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Used space is more than size of all files: Problem occurs on my C drive 400GB SSD. It shows 210GB of used space, but the files including hidden occupy only ~110GB. My system protection is set to 2% and occupies only 2.6GB. I already used disk clean-up and there is only 10MB left to clean.What can be taking up the...
  3. Used space is more than size of all files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Used space is more than size of all files: Problem occurs on my C drive 400GB SSD. It shows 210GB of used space, but the files including hidden occupy only ~110GB. My system protection is set to 2% and occupies only 2.6GB. I already used disk clean-up and there is only 10MB left to clean.What can be taking up the...
  4. Used space is more than size of all files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Hard drive shows more used space than what is being used

Hard drive shows more used space than what is being used: Hi, i have a 256GB D: drive, and it shows only 22 GB remaining. However, upon use of windirstat, or simply selecting all the folders from the root and clicking properties. The actual used space is less than what is reported in the drive itself. For example:Going to properties...
  6. Hard drive shows more used space than what is being used

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard drive shows more used space than what is being used: Hi, i have a 256GB D: drive, and it shows only 22 GB remaining. However, upon use of windirstat, or simply selecting all the folders from the root and clicking properties. The actual used space is less than what is reported in the drive itself. For example:Going to properties...
  7. Hard drive shows more used space than what is being used

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Windows using more disc space then it shows

Windows using more disc space then it shows: So basically:Last time I used my PC I had around 30gb left of space, then rebooted my PC and only had 11gb left.When I go to my C drive and add all the file sizes up from all the files that are located in there I get roughly 197GB. But windows says its using 220GB.I already...
  9. Windows showing more used disk space than it should

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows showing more used disk space than it should: The Windows File Explorer says I've used 226 GB out of my 475 GB drive. I thought this number was off, so I checked each large file on the drive (ProgramFiles, ProgramFilesx86, Users, Windows, WindowsUpgrade, etc). Long story short, it all adds up to 186.55 GB instead of the...
  10. Storage spaces showing more used than actual

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Storage spaces showing more used than actual: I am working on tearing down my storage space because it wouldn't allow me to add more drives. Currently I have removed files from it yet it still shows full capacity. SS says using 55.8 TB file explorer shows only 44.2 TB used. How do I resolve this? submitted by...