Windows 10: Windows Explorer - thumbnails for JPG fail if over 10MB

Discus and support Windows Explorer - thumbnails for JPG fail if over 10MB in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Recently windows started having a problem displaying thumbnails for JPGs. If I load a folder of images it shows them all for a moment, then swiftly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by b3nb123, Nov 11, 2015.

1. b3nb123 Win User

Windows Explorer - thumbnails for JPG fail if over 10MB

Recently windows started having a problem displaying thumbnails for JPGs. If I load a folder of images it shows them all for a moment, then swiftly changes loads of them to white blanks.

A bit more investigating and I realise it's only for image files over 10MB. I'm a photographer, so looking at images litterally all day, so it's quite an annoyance! Or course I use other software for sorting, organising, resizing etc, but plenty of times you just want to load a folder and see the images.

Here's a screengrab, sorting a folder by size, anything larger than 10MB is a white blank icon:

Windows Explorer - thumbnails for JPG fail if over 10MB [​IMG]

Any ideas?

:)

b3nb123, Nov 11, 2015

2. No thumbnails for images >10Mb in explorer

Since a few weeks I get no thumbnails in windows 10 explorer for images >10mb.

Also on desktop.

Files <10mb generates perfect images.

It doesn't matter what format it is, tiff, jpg.

I think there is changed a value in the registry file of windows.

Who can help me to solve this annoying problem?

Thanks,

Theo

TheoSchimmel, Nov 11, 2015
  3. B3nb Win User
    Windows Explorer - thumbnails for JPGs don't show for files over 10MB

Thanks for getting back to me - virtual memory currently set to auto, and showing as a huge 49,152 (Of a recommended 2,936!) I've tried setting the Virtual memory of C to 10,000 and I'll restart and see if it helps

4. YOU
    You Win User

What program is the default for opening pictures (what opens when double-click the JPG)?

5. YOU
    You Win User
  6. b3nb123 Win User
    I tried clearing the cache. I found a manual method that didn't work, but then a freeware that seemed to clear it ( I saw the desktop icons rebuild.) Still didn't fix it.
    I changed the default JPG program from ACDSee (My choice of image viewer) back to photos, but it didn't fix it either I'm afraid

b3nb123, Nov 13, 2015
  7. YOU
    You Win User
    Then try this:
    In the search, type "Folder options" and press Enter.
    Go to the "View" tab.
    Check "Always Show icons, never thumbnails".
    Click Apply button.
    Uncheck "Always show icons, never thumbnails".
    Click OK button.
    Search for "adjust the appearance and performance" and click the first result.
    Make sure "Show thumbnails instead of icons" is checked and click OK.

8. b3nb123 Win User

Thanks so much for the response. I got all excited then... but realised it hadn't fixed it. It's just files over 10MB. I'm trying to think anything I installed recently, so I can uninstall it. Perthaps I'll do a system restore to a point a week or two ago

b3nb123, Nov 15, 2015
  9. YOU
    You Win User
    That would be a good idea.

10. YOU
    You Win User
  11. b3nb123 Win User
    Thanks, as always for the help everyone, but I tried clearing the thumbnail cache again, both methods, and the problem is still there I'm afraid.
    I tried system, restore, but it's only showing me entries for the last week. Is there a way of accessing System restore points that may be hidden from the list? I'm sure there were loads of earlier points I've seen in the past

b3nb123, Nov 16, 2015
  12. YOU
    You Win User
    When the size of the restore points altogether reaches the maximum size allowed, then the oldest ones will be deleted to make space for the new ones to keep within that limit. System Restore doesn't hide system restore points, so unfortunately they're gone if can find them.

13. YOU
    You Win User

do have the option to reset Windows 10, although that should be done after all of our options have been eliminated because it removes r programs.

I'm not sure how cleared r icon cache, but if didn't already do this, try it:

• Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open Task Manager.
    • Go to Details tab.
    • Kill explorer.exe. Taskbar will disappear. (the time, icons, etc.) Before doing this, make sure aren't copying any files or anything.
    • File > New Task in Task Manager, type cmd.exe and click OK (check the run with admin box).
    • Type cd %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer into Command Prompt and press Enter.
    • Type del /f /q *.db and press Enter.
    • Type explorer.exe into Command Prompt and press Enter. Taskbar will reappear.
    • are free to close those windows.

14. YOU
    You Win User
    And if that doesn't work, try setting the built-in photos app as the default photo viewer instead of ACDSee. The program associated with the file can affect the thumbnail it displays. To do that, search for "default apps", and scroll down until see the default photo viewer option. Choose Photos as the default and check to see if the icons begin displaying properly.

15. b3nb123 Win User
    Thanks You. It said access denied to every .db file it found for some reason, even though explorer was closed

b3nb123, Nov 18, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows Explorer - thumbnails for JPG fail if over 10MB - Similar Threads - Explorer thumbnails JPG

2. JPG thumbnails associated with Photoshop show Photos icon - no thumbnail in file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    JPG thumbnails associated with Photoshop show Photos icon - no thumbnail in file explorer: In File Explorer I can't see a thumbnail preview of a JPG file. I see an icon for MS Photos. Screen shots attached. I have cleared the thumbnail cache. Older jpgs have thumbnails, but those jpgs I created today I can only see the icon. Preview will not view these new files....
  3. JPG thumbnails associated with Photoshop show Photos icon - no thumbnail in file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    JPG thumbnails associated with Photoshop show Photos icon - no thumbnail in file explorer: In File Explorer I can't see a thumbnail preview of a JPG file. I see an icon for MS Photos. Screen shots attached. I have cleared the thumbnail cache. Older jpgs have thumbnails, but those jpgs I created today I can only see the icon. Preview will not view these new files....
  4. jpg thumbnails blurry but nef crystal clear win 11 explorer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    jpg thumbnails blurry but nef crystal clear win 11 explorer?: When I look at jpg thumbnails extra large icons or any other size in win explorer updated they are blurry. NEF from my nikon d500 of the same photo are crystal clear as are the jpgs when viewed in any other viewer Photoshop, Lightroom, Photos, etc. Any ideas why this would...
  5. jpg thumbnails blurry but nef crystal clear win 11 explorer?

jpg thumbnails blurry but nef crystal clear win 11 explorer?: When I look at jpg thumbnails extra large icons or any other size in win explorer updated they are blurry. NEF from my nikon d500 of the same photo are crystal clear as are the jpgs when viewed in any other viewer Photoshop, Lightroom, Photos, etc. Any ideas why this would...
  6. Black box around jpg thumbnails

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black box around jpg thumbnails: Installed a new PC a couple weeks ago. Windows 11.For some reason, all of my thumbnail JPGs have a black box around them.Everything is updated.Need some advice on how to fix this. Thanks....
  7. Black box around jpg thumbnails

Black box around jpg thumbnails: Installed a new PC a couple weeks ago. Windows 11.For some reason, all of my thumbnail JPGs have a black box around them.Everything is updated.Need some advice on how to fix this. Thanks....
  8. Thumbnails missing, only for jpg files.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Thumbnails missing, only for jpg files.: That's a bit embarrasing. Most (but not all) of my jpg files (and just jpg files, movies, pdfs, etc, are ok) aren't generating thumbnails for themselves. Problem is it's almost impossible to troubleshoot this as anyone would, 'cause the internet is flooded with the same old...
  9. JPG Thumbnails of vertical JPG images are displayed as horizontal imag

in Windows 10 Support
    JPG Thumbnails of vertical JPG images are displayed as horizontal imag: Suddenly, vertical JPG images show thumbnail images squeezed into horizontal thumbnail JPGs. RAW files are not affected and show vertical thumbnails as expected. I do have Sagethumbs installed, so that I can see JPG thumbnail images of PSD and TIFF files. No problems with...
  10. Displaying Thumbnails for .jpg files in Windows 10 File Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Displaying Thumbnails for .jpg files in Windows 10 File Explorer: For some reason I cannot get File Explorer in Windows 10 to display thumbnails of my .jpg files. That makes scanning through hundreds of photos very tedious. I am using a desktop, a standard display monitor, manual keyboard, and mouse -- no touch screen. I have done...