Windows 10: Windows Explorer unresponsiveness

Discus and support Windows Explorer unresponsiveness in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I'm having strange Windows Explorer problems. Right clicking may cause it to freeze up, or attempting to load folders that contain certain file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by lum, Dec 19, 2015.

1. LUM
    lum Win User

Windows Explorer unresponsiveness

I'm having strange Windows Explorer problems. Right clicking may cause it to freeze up, or attempting to load folders that contain certain file extensions (in particular .iso). Out of curiosity about it, I'd even renamed an existing file to .iso. Though the rename succeeded, Explorer halted anyway.

It could be an unknown Windows update change from a day or two ago. Other than that I have no theories, don't recall hearing of an extension's mere presence in a directory causing anything like this. Already tried sfc /scannow with little luck.

Cumbersome as it is, I can obviously bypass the issue using Command Prompt or other tools.

Edit: Possibly solved.

:)

2. File explorer does not work after upgrading an Asus Sonic Master laptop from windows 8

When clicking on file explorer icon the file explorer window opens up blank and unresponsive.

BennyNabavian, Dec 19, 2015
  3. MMQureshi Win User
    left click on any file or folder hang or unresponsive explorer or windows

left click on any file or folder hang or unresponsive explorer or windows

MMQureshi, Dec 19, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, it might be a rogue shell extension. Assuming you have some shell extensions installed (did you upgrade from a previous Windows edition or have various programs now installed?) I suggest you try Nirsoft's shellexview (freeware).

This will enable you to disable all shell extensions (make sure you hide Microsoft's first- disabling some of those can make life difficult) so you can check if any are having a detrimental effect.

If the symptom does not then recur, progressively enable extensions until you identify the culprit.

Related:
    Solved Explorer.exe hangs with mouse right click W10 - Windows 10 Forums
    Windows Explorer Freezes - Windows 10 Forums
    Solved File Explorer crashes after Right Click in Desktop - Windows 10 Forums

dalchina, Dec 19, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows Explorer unresponsiveness - Similar Threads - Explorer unresponsiveness

2. File explorer not responding in Windows 11. It opens up but becomes unresponsive when you...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer not responding in Windows 11. It opens up but becomes unresponsive when you...: I tried every solution available on the internet to make file explorer responsive. However, it is not working. I open up file explorer, it opens. Now, when I click any folder or any icon or try to do search, it becomes unresponsive. I have spent days trying to fix this and I...
  3. File explorer not responding in Windows 11. It opens up but becomes unresponsive when you...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer not responding in Windows 11. It opens up but becomes unresponsive when you...: I tried every solution available on the internet to make file explorer responsive. However, it is not working. I open up file explorer, it opens. Now, when I click any folder or any icon or try to do search, it becomes unresponsive. I have spent days trying to fix this and I...
  4. Why does Windows Explorer frequently become completely unresponsive upon opening, while...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does Windows Explorer frequently become completely unresponsive upon opening, while...: When I open certain folders in Explorer it sort of hangs, while visually all columns aside from the icon at the very left go blank, one by one down the list. Once this reaches the bottom of the folder, it "blinks" and visually loads everything correctly. While this is...
  5. Why does Windows Explorer frequently become completely unresponsive upon opening, while...

Why does Windows Explorer frequently become completely unresponsive upon opening, while...: When I open certain folders in Explorer it sort of hangs, while visually all columns aside from the icon at the very left go blank, one by one down the list. Once this reaches the bottom of the folder, it "blinks" and visually loads everything correctly. While this is...
  6. File Explorer unresponsive upon opening folder while contents disappear and seem to be...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer unresponsive upon opening folder while contents disappear and seem to be...: When I open certain folders in Explorer it sort of hangs, while visually all columns aside from the icon at the very left go blank, one by one down the list. Once this reaches the bottom of the folder, it "blinks" and visually loads everything correctly. While this is...
  7. File Explorer unresponsive upon opening folder while contents disappear and seem to be...

File Explorer unresponsive upon opening folder while contents disappear and seem to be...: When I open certain folders in Explorer it sort of hangs, while visually all columns aside from the icon at the very left go blank, one by one down the list. Once this reaches the bottom of the folder, it "blinks" and visually loads everything correctly. While this is...
  8. Windows 11 update 22H2; Windows Explorer Unresponsive at Startup.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 update 22H2; Windows Explorer Unresponsive at Startup.: So, I've been pulling my hair out about this for the past week or so. I've been keeping my pc up to date, running Windows 11 pro, PC is home built.Since the past two recent updates, I've encountered the dreaded Unresponsive Windows Explorer bug, and absolutely nothing has...
  9. Windows 11 update 22H2; Windows Explorer Unresponsive at Startup.

Windows 11 update 22H2; Windows Explorer Unresponsive at Startup.: So, I've been pulling my hair out about this for the past week or so. I've been keeping my pc up to date, running Windows 11 pro, PC is home built.Since the past two recent updates, I've encountered the dreaded Unresponsive Windows Explorer bug, and absolutely nothing has...
  10. After restarts only taskbar and explorer are unresponsive shutdown is not affected

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    After restarts only taskbar and explorer are unresponsive shutdown is not affected: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/srshah27 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/vg3bff/after_restarts_only_taskbar_and_explorer_are/