Windows 10: Windows explorer won't remember folder and icon settings?

Discus and support Windows explorer won't remember folder and icon settings? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Here is my problem: I keep my folders in different settings, some with large icons, some with details view. Today they are all reset to details... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Mark5, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Mark5 Win User

Windows explorer won't remember folder and icon settings?

Here is my problem:
    I keep my folders in different settings, some with large icons, some with details view.

Today they are all reset to details view,
    and items are listed by name. Every folder is reset to the same settings.
    when I try to change they always defaults to details view.
    Even when I go to another folder and press back, the settings are already reset.

Also, icons on desktop are keep returning to default state (big icons),
    I keep them smaller, when I hold ctrl and scroll mouse wheel they become smaller, but next time I reset windows they return to default (big icons) view. I already cleaned shellbag in regedit, reset windows but it is still the same.

I saw this other theme with similar problem, but I am not using Eset, I use Kaspersky.
    Also I don't have this key in my registry :
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\1\Desktop

Any solution?

:)

Mark5, Oct 6, 2015
  2. JenChavez Win User

Issue with File Explorer

My folder explorer won't open & the screen will freeze & then increase the size of my icons. What do I do?

Original title: Folder Explorer.

JenChavez, Oct 6, 2015
  3. c00d36b4 playing WMV on Windows Phone 8

Stephen,

Yes, I meant Explorer. If I remember correctly, I dragged the videos from their folder on my computer to the Windows Phone icon in Explorer. A "convert?" dialog came up and after whatever conversion was done, the videos were able to play on the phone.

Tom Whalen, Oct 6, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Oct 6, 2015
  5. dalchina New Member
    Hello, I've just realised I missed your point on ESET, some have reported registry permissions problems too. I think I posted a couple of other things in that thread, so read thru carefully for any other clues.

Especially as you don't have that key, you could consider copying it from another working PC if available, with appropriate backup.
    it's basically worth searching

dalchina, Oct 6, 2015
  6. dalchina New Member
    I think you're looking for sthg similar to this:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/813711
    - it doesn't specifically cover Win 10 of course, but appears to address your issue.

Provided you back up carefully you could try what it suggests, although I believe I remember that the entry specifying the limit was removed in Win 7, although Windows still tried to read it... (someone checked using Process Monitor).

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows explorer won't remember folder and icon settings? - Similar Threads - explorer won't remember

2. File Explorer not remembering to open maximized folders!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer not remembering to open maximized folders!: Since I had to have Windows 11 reinstalled, File Explorer no longer remembers to load up maximized on my Desktop. On my laptop, this isn't a problem, and both systems are running Windows 11 Home 23H2. Normally when I open a File Explorer window, if I maximize a window and...
  3. File Explorer not remembering to open maximized folders!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer not remembering to open maximized folders!: Since I had to have Windows 11 reinstalled, File Explorer no longer remembers to load up maximized on my Desktop. On my laptop, this isn't a problem, and both systems are running Windows 11 Home 23H2. Normally when I open a File Explorer window, if I maximize a window and...
  4. Windows 11 "Remember each folder's view settings" missing in explorer options.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 "Remember each folder's view settings" missing in explorer options.: I have been extremely annoyed that Windows 11 won't remember my view settings for folders. I have tried all the options in the advance settings to have it be remembered but the option to Remember Settings is missing. Having to switch to detail view every time I view a folder...
  5. Windows 11 "Remember each folder's view settings" missing in explorer options.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 "Remember each folder's view settings" missing in explorer options.: I have been extremely annoyed that Windows 11 won't remember my view settings for folders. I have tried all the options in the advance settings to have it be remembered but the option to Remember Settings is missing. Having to switch to detail view every time I view a folder...
  6. Remembering settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remembering settings: You have recently solved a problem I had with the display which is a great success. This has led to another problem in that the machine does not remember the settings when I turn the machine off. My old machine does this without difficulty....
  7. Remembering File Explorer views in each folder?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remembering File Explorer views in each folder?: Is there a utility that can remember your customized views of various folders and keep them persistent across time? For example, I dislike being given the "Type" field in the detailed view of File Explorer, since I have Explorer set to show filename extensions, and I usually...
  8. Windows Won't Remember Folder Settings

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Won't Remember Folder Settings: I'm running 1909 No matter what I do, it just won't work! I tried: View: List Sort By: Date Modified Properties -> Customize -> Optimize Folder for General, including subfolders. I also tried: View -> Options -> Change folder and search options -> View -> Reset...
  9. Windows doesn't remember "sort by" folder settings

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows doesn't remember "sort by" folder settings: By default there is no "date" option available when right-clicking in a folder and selecting "sort by". When I select "More", then check the date option, and then right-click and select sort by sate (ascending), Windows forgets it as soon as I back out of the window. Next...
  10. Won't remember my settings

in Windows 10 Support
    Won't remember my settings: I am running on windows 10 64 bit upgraded from an 8. I working on an HP 15 laptop and I cannot get computer to remember my settings such as wanting to turn off the touchpad when I have the mouse plugged in but as soon as I restart it again it back to the way it was. 18955