Windows 10: Windows fails to install updates.

Discus and support Windows fails to install updates. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Title. Can't install any updates. I read online that I have to edit the registry. Tried but windows tells me I have no permissions. Thanks in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Kopppi, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Kopppi Win User

Windows fails to install updates.

Title. Can't install any updates. I read online that I have to edit the registry. Tried but windows tells me I have no permissions.

Thanks in advance

EDIT: When trying to do a system restore I get this error http://puu.sh/o6XO4/12326e1edc.png

:)

Kopppi, Apr 4, 2016

2. Windows Updates fails to install

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to manually reset the Windows Updates Components.

Resetting Windows update components diagnoses and fixes problems with Windows Update.
    I suggest you to follow the below steps to Reset Windows update components:

• Press Windows Key + X on the keyboard and then select “Command Prompt (Admin)” from the menu.
    • Stop the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. To do this, type the following commands in command prompt. Press the “ENTER” key after you type each command.
    net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

3. Now rename the SoftwareDistribution and
    Catroot2
    folder. You can do this by typing the following commands in the Command Prompt. Press the “ENTER” key after you type each command.

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old

4. Now, let’s restart the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the
    Windows Update Services.

Type the following commands in the Command Prompt for this. Press the
    ENTER key after you type each command.

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

5. Type Exit in the Command Prompt to close it.

Now you may try running the Windows Updates and check if the above steps resolve the issue.

Registry disclaimer

To do so: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully.
    For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the
    Microsoft Knowledge Base: 322756
    (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ )

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

For further reference, you can refer to the link:

How do I reset Windows Update components?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058/en-us

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Apr 4, 2016
  3. Windows updates fails to install

I have upgraded to windows 10 and it tells me that I have new updates but every time I try to update it tells me it failed and to retry. I have been trying for the last 2 weeks with the same message. Please advise.

northernlites4u, Apr 4, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Permissions? See repairs in
    Tweaking.com's repair tool- file system and registry.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2016
  5. Kopppi Win User
    Thanks for the quick reply!

I will try the Tweakin.com's repair tool and reply shortly if it worked!

EDIT: Ran the repair tool, it completed, booted to windows -> Fatal error during boot -> in windows it said "UPDATES INSTALLED" but unable to rollback to a recovery point still

Kopppi, Apr 4, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, From the above I assume you can boot to Windows.. but can't be sure. I've no idea of the history.. how you got to where you are, so I'm guessing rather.

Now, if system restore is your only issue (please confirm) I would suggest turning system restore off, restart for good measure, turn s restore on, create a restore point, see if you can use it successfully.

If you still have problems, please state whether Win 10 was working correctly, and what you think may have led to your current issues.

Also, I hope you followed the cautious path with the repair tool.. and selected just the permissions related repairs.

Note: disk imaging is a great technique allowing you to restore your PC to a previously working state relatively quickly and without technical help. Many her recommend Macrium Reflect (free) + boot medium + external storage. It also acts as a full backup of what you've imaged allowing file recovery for example.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2016
  7. Kopppi Win User
    Thanks for the help so far!

I am able to boot into windows. The problem started when I got my SSD and installed windows 10 on it. After that the updates just can't complete. And yes, my problem is I need to restore an earlier recovery point (A reason I won't specify).

I tried to create a new restore point but still unable to restore to it. My windows is working good except for the update issue.

I only selected a few of the repairs from the tools. (Can't remember which, but the permissions and some malware thing I think)

Thanks

Kopppi, Apr 4, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

You could try launching system restore from outside Windows: boot from Win 10 install medium and navigate via Repair, Troublehshooting to System Restore. No idea if that will actually help.

Note, if you have to use a previous restore point, then you're denied the option of an in-place upgrade repair install (it deletes restore points, inevitable given the process).

Simply installing (clean install) to an SSD per se should not prevent you using System restore. I do and can. So that suggests sthg else must have happened.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2016
  9. Kopppi Win User
    Other thing that would come to my mind would be the fact that I have been using a DLL Injector to mod some games. But If i remember correctly it started before i downloaded it

Kopppi, Apr 4, 2016
  10. It could be that your Windows Updates service needs to be reset. Easy fix for that.

In my experience WSR is getting more and more unreliable with age. I see suggestions for Macrium Reflect Free, but if you're looking to replace WSR, more of a 1-to-1 comparison would be to something like Comodo Time Machine or Rollback Rx.

HanginJang, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows fails to install updates. - Similar Threads - fails install updates

2. Windows update failed to install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows update failed to install: Windows update failed to install KB5011487. I searched and applied every known fix to get this update to install to no avail. Then while doing these fixes that did not work, another update shows up KB5011543, but same result, failed to update. So last night I did what I...
  3. Windows update failed to install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update failed to install: Windows update failed to install KB5011487. I searched and applied every known fix to get this update to install to no avail. Then while doing these fixes that did not work, another update shows up KB5011543, but same result, failed to update. So last night I did what I...
  4. Windows Update installation failed

Windows Update installation failed: I pulled this old ASUS out of a drawer to try to revive it for my daughter. It was unused for nearly 3 years. First point of order is to update it. I attempted to update and every update was successful except for the 2019-04 Cumulative update for Windows 10 version 1709...
  5. Windows update fails to install.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows update fails to install.: Hi everyone. I have a problem with windows update here, it always fails to install whenever it reaches 7% and I get the message "we couldn't complete the updates undoing changes". I'm running windows 10 1903 on an Acer laptop. submitted by /u/BadrZh [link] [comments]...
  6. Windows Update failed to install

Windows Update failed to install: Windows 10 Home Single Language. Version 1809 My laptop has been trying to install this update KB4512578 since mid-September 2019. It came out an error noting that it could not install. Error code: 0x800f0922. I have tried fixing the error code but to no avail. The issue...
  7. Windows update failed to install

Windows update failed to install: The newest version of windows was downloaded in my PC and after I restarted my PC it tried to install it. But I don't know why it did not installed. I'm giving the screenshot of the update history section. What can I do to get the update again....
  8. windows update failing to install

windows update failing to install: The latest updates from windows cannot install and show Error 0x80070015 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-failing-to-install/f641ba7a-85e3-42f9-877c-0c462c9eeee5
  9. Windows Update Failed To Install

Windows Update Failed To Install: Security Updates for Windows (KB4343909), 2018 - 08 Cummulative Updates for Windows 10 version 1803 x64-based systems (KB4343909) and 2018 - 09 Cummulative Updates for Windows 10 version 1803 x64-based systems (KB4457128) The above mentioned Updates failed to installed...
  10. window update failed to installed

window update failed to installed: my computer is trying to installed window 10 insider Preview 17728.1000 (Rs5-release and it keep failing and it give me the error code Ox802400.34 what does this mean. thanks...