Windows 10: Windows fails to start when more than 8GB RAM

Discus and support Windows fails to start when more than 8GB RAM in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I upgraded the RAM of my Laptop to 16 GB (from 8 GB) and the Windows 10 wasn't starting anymore; no blue screen ....just loading it again and again... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by amimandami, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Windows fails to start when more than 8GB RAM

I upgraded the RAM of my Laptop to 16 GB (from 8 GB) and the Windows 10 wasn't starting anymore; no blue screen ....just loading it again and again (the same with Windwos 8.1). The simple fix was to set this amount in "BOOT advanced Options".

The problem now is that I can't use anymore my WinPE live pendrive to backup the OS. Do you know how I can edit WinPE to force it start with a fixed amount of RAM ?

:)

amimandami, Aug 2, 2016
  2. Statue111 Win User

Windows 10 Pro x64 not working with apps which require over 2GB of RAM

My system worked fine with Windows versions prior to 10, and I have 8GB RAM installed. When I run an app, such as a game, and it takes a lot of memory, I start getting popups saying my system is low on memory, when only 2GB of the RAM is used. Microsoft
    Edge does the same thing - if I open enough tabs/pages to take more than 2GB of RAM, the program starts malfunctioning like crazy, and popups start appearing indicating I am low on RAM. How do I fix this problem?

Statue111, Aug 2, 2016
  3. BossDweeb Win User
    RAM use windows 10

"Does this mean half of my RAM is redundant?"

Yep! At least until you use a software/game that is needs more RAM. I have a few games that are stating to push

RAM use up toward 8GB. May even have one or two topping 8GB (have to verify that).

High end 3D modelling, video editing and editing very large photos can use a lot of RAM, particularly if you have several

models/images open at once.

Most software is not very system intensive (on modern machines) in any way. Your cpu is probably not sweating it most of the time either.

Brief spikes in cpu use when you load something, but generally not a lot of used capacity unless you use

the programs/games that do, and the majority of 'casual' Windows users don't.

Win10 actually manages the RAM better than previous Windows versions, and uses a fair bit more RAM at idle (or when doing

simple tasks such as these forums) than previous Windows as a result of that improved memory management. My Win10 uses about 500+ MB more at idle than Win7 does.

"If I were replacing the pc would there be any point having more than 4 gb ram? "

The great RAM scam, but yes.

If only because 8GB does not cost much more than 4GB, and one day you may run something that can use more than 4GB.

I believe 2GB sticks are becoming rare, and 2X4GB provides Dual Channel mode, which is more efficient than a single 4GB stick.

There wouldn't be many laptops or OEM desktop machines being sold with less than 8GB, and many have 16GB these days.

Some (many) laptops toss in an extra stick (eg- 6/12GB), which is actually counter productive as running three sticks would force

the RAM to run in Single Channel mode vs the better preforming Dual Channel mode.

A big marketing scam appealing to users thinking more is better.

The extra stick would be useful in allocating RAM to integrated graphics, but using a single stick for this would still reduce performance

somewhat.

BossDweeb, Aug 2, 2016
  4. Bastet Win User

Windows fails to start when more than 8GB RAM

If you take the added ram out & return the pic to 8 GB ram does it boot or is there still problems?
    If so then the ram may either not be seated properly, the laptop can only accept a max of 8GB or the ram is faulty.

Bastet, Aug 2, 2016
  5. You are right, the Windows with this laptop is not "quite" compatible running 16 GB. It is not an issue as I solved it by setting this amount of RAM during BOOT. My question is about how to set a fixed amount of RAM in WinPE (because without removing some RAM I cannot start any WinPE based disk).

amimandami, Aug 2, 2016
  6. Bastet Win User
    Ok.
    Hopefully someone will have the answer. *Smile

Bastet, Aug 2, 2016
  7. I hope so; the solution is to find how I could edit the boot of an WinPE image.

amimandami, Aug 3, 2016
  8. Bastet Win User

I have searched & can't find anything about your particular problem.
    Good luck.

Bastet, Aug 3, 2016
  9. essenbe Win User
    Check the specs on your laptop to see what the max ram it can handle is. If you have edited the ram amount in Boot Config, you have put in more ram and then limited Windows to the amount you were using to begin with. That does not seem logical to me. I'm not sure what you mean by this:

You need to stay within specs of the hardware/software you have. If you go outside of specs, you should expect things not to work right. If that is not the case, let us know.

essenbe, Aug 3, 2016
  10. Berton Win User
    I also have to say the motherboard is the first limit on how much RAM can be installed, usually have only 2 slots and can install single or 2 modules, 2GB, 4GB, 6GB, 8GB, etc. The motherboard and its BIOS determine how much RAM can be installed, I use Crucial.com - DRAM, solid state drive (SSD) memory upgrades for Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq, Lenovo, Acer, ASUS to check their list of what a machine can use. I have a few Notebooks on hand, most I have rehabbed but do have 2 I purchased new. The newest can handle up to 8GB but most are 4GB which runs most OSes just fine. The key is that seldom can a Notebook be forced to use more RAM than designed for but sometimes the manufacturer will issue an updated BIOS software when they've found things have changed such as compatible RAM modules weren't initially on the market but have become available later on.

Berton, Aug 3, 2016
  11. Thanks. I've searched how to edit startup parameters, and ...nothing. For sure there is a solution, but I haven't yet found it.

I had to set the maximum amount to 16GB to properly start the OS. On Intel's website it's specified that the processor supports 16 GB DDR3 1066/1333. The BIOS reads properly this amount but during the boot, Windows doesn't get a proper information about that. (Ubuntu 15.10x64 live disk, starts properly).
    Just to be sure that everything is fine, I used Windows 10 Memtest, and I also set a WinXPx64 virtual machine with 10GB. There were no errors or other problems. The presence of the two memory banks 1666 MHz DDR3L (on DDR3 slots) dual channel working at 1333MHz 1.5V is confirmed by both Speccy and HwInfo.

It is possible that you can use 16GB (see ARK | Your Source for Intel Product Specifications and check your processor).
    My reasons for changing to 16GB were: the low price for 2x8 Crucial memories and a software I have to use (which needs as much memory as you could have).

While I solved the memory issue for the OS, I cannot backup my system using software which starts in a WinPE environment (AOMEI Backupper, Macrium Reflect, Norton SRD, etc.).

amimandami, Aug 4, 2016
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    It is not just the processor that limits the amount of RAM that can be used but also BIOS/UEFI limitations. You have to check with the manufacturer of the laptop and see what the limit is for that particular model. You also must check with the manufacturer to determine if a bios upgrade might be required to work with more RAM.

NavyLCDR, Aug 4, 2016
  13. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

Solved? How so ?
    How much RAM does Windows report ?
    The thread title says you limit it to 8 Gb or it fails to start. Within that preset limit the WinPE based backup programs you mention also fail to start ?
    On rare occasions machines accept more RAM then the manufacturer initially stated. Usually that's only because higher amounts of single sticks of RAM weren't available at the time of manufacture.

As NavyLCDR correctly states the amount of RAM the CPU can see is not of any good if the MB BIOS/UEFI are not up to it.

That said, it surprises me that Bios see the correct amount and other OSes such as Linux can work with it. Something's not quite right here.
    Have you tried booting from W10 install media with the full amount of RAM enabled in BIOS/UEFI ?

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Aug 5, 2016
  14. It's a 2011 version laptop; there haven't been any other BIOS updates. The people say it's a bug as the i3 version works without problem. Some other people state that i7 versions also work fine.

It is not solved; I thought installing Win10 Anniversary Edition before replying (but I couldn't found time). For sure Win7, 8.1 and 10 have the same issues. I'll go for an install of Mint or Ubuntu to see how it reacts. I've run Ubuntu 15.10x64 Live USB and it started normally.
    WinPE is only the environment which allows to run those backup software. Without starting WinPE I cannot make a cold backup.

- BIOS states correctly the amount
    - Specy sees properly the two banks and their properties.
    - Some people were saying that even Linux environments have to be set up properly, but last time Ubuntu started properly (I'm going to install locally a new version).
    - I haven't tried booting Win10 install with 16GB (I guess ...I don't remember). I reinstalled Windows 10 (after updating from 8.1 to 10. At that time I was having 8GB and I upgraded to 16GB. Knowing that it may not work, during a clean reinstall I downgraded back to 8GB).

amimandami, Aug 10, 2016
  15. kimkl Win User
    Try and use diff slot i had a lot of problems when i upgraded to 32GB took me a while to find the right slot, i had 2 x8 GB 1866 and upg with 2x 8 1666 i set a fixed speed to 1666 but could not boot i could still use my direct key to bios, but i had to do the opposite of what the manual said and now after getting it to work i can't boot if i rem the 2 1666 i prob have to clear bios doing a Ram reset my mb has a button for that, won't work but a doing a bios reset will prob work but since i use it for movie editing i can live with the "slow" 1666 speed.
    so try and move your Ram to dif slots just make sure you move them in pairs if you have 4 sticks of Ram meaning A1xB1 goes to A2 and B2 hope you get it sorted

kimkl, Aug 14, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows fails to start when more than 8GB RAM - Similar Threads - fails start more

2. ram usage is more than 50 % when idle

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ram usage is more than 50 % when idle: im using windows 11, now it using over 60% dont know how to stop it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ram-usage-is-more-than-50-when-idle/26cb1469-2f3f-4804-a52f-7e0ead4aa99a
  3. ram usage is more than 50 % when idle

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ram usage is more than 50 % when idle: im using windows 11, now it using over 60% dont know how to stop it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ram-usage-is-more-than-50-when-idle/26cb1469-2f3f-4804-a52f-7e0ead4aa99a
  4. Windows explorer using more ram than usual

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows explorer using more ram than usual: Now, idk if this is normal or not on windows 11 but that windows explorer ram usage for something i'm not even using but taking up that much ram is kinda weird. Is there any fix to this or is explorer gonna just take up that amount of ram for the rest now? My 8gb of ram be...
  5. Windows won't use more than 50% ram

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows won't use more than 50% ram: I installed more ram onto my laptop, 2666mhz DDR4 ram and it reads at 16gbs available on the task manager, but even when running multiple tasks, it never uses more than 50% of the available ram. Windows memory diagnostic tool didn't give me an error so I have no idea how to...
  6. More than 50% RAM usage right at windows start

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    More than 50% RAM usage right at windows start: It's been quite a few weeks that i'm trying to fix this problem... Removed almost all the program at windows start, checked all the programs and random solutions found online with no results... Most of the time it's about a driver leaking but it doesn't seems like it in my...
  7. Windows 10 Doesnt use more than 8gb of 32Gb RAM for "Standby"ram why ?

Windows 10 Doesnt use more than 8gb of 32Gb RAM for "Standby"ram why ?: So my windows only Utilizes 3-8gb of ram for standby ram why ? i want to use it all of my ram or close to max to fully utilize my ram. Sysmain service is running and also generating PF files so it seems "to do its thing" sadly it doesnt use my ram. Screenshot here...
  8. Windows using more than 6gb of ram in the desktop

Windows using more than 6gb of ram in the desktop: exactly as subject says, I have tried deleting files that could be malicious and screening for malware, even disabling lots of programs and deleting others that could be sketchy. Link to windows performance recorder on dropbox,...
  9. 8gb RAM?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    8gb RAM?: Iam thinking of going to 8gb or RAM. Problem is I have 4 RAM slots on my motherboard and if I did buy the ram I'd get 2x4gb sticks. Would this make any difference? Would it work? 40075
  10. Windows install fails when more than 4 HDD's.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows install fails when more than 4 HDD's.: Hi there. Trying a Windows install on a Server box with 4 HDD's installed. This server also allows boot from a Micro SD card. I've got a 64GB micro SD card loaded as well. Fails when trying to create any partition on any of the HDD's. Works if I temporarily remove one...