Windows 10: Windows Fax and Scan (WFS)

Discus and support Windows Fax and Scan (WFS) in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; WFS shows in my list of apps when I click start icon. When I click WFS however nothing happens. I have searched MS Community and found problems related... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Polterry, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Polterry Win User

Windows Fax and Scan (WFS)

WFS shows in my list of apps when I click start icon. When I click WFS however nothing happens. I have searched MS Community and found problems related to location and drivers for particular devices. I followed the location threads and I have found the WFS.exe file; see attached screenshot. However again nothing happens when I try opening / running as administrator. I tried again with scanner and printer connected and switched on but again nothing. I tried trouble-shooting file with default settings and also W7; again nothing.
    I have an Epson Perfection 3170 Photo scanner, a rather old model, that works fine using installed Epson apps/drivers.
    Does not seem to make sense; some obscure
    Windows Fax and Scan (WFS) [​IMG]
    setting needs ticking.

:)

Polterry, Mar 22, 2016
  2. jbartonp Win User

windows scan and fax intermittent failure to see scanner/printer

windows fax and scan keeps losing (stops recognizing) my Epson WF 3540 all in one until I reboot the laptop. Very often when I go to scan using my Epson WF 3540, both the Epson scan and the Windows fax and scan fail to see the wf 3540. I reboot and all
    is fine. This is driving me crazy. Both Toshiba (laptop) and Epson blame the other.

jbartonp, Mar 22, 2016
  3. Windows Fax and Scan - define/add device

Hello Everyone: I have recently installed an Epson WorkForce® WF-2760 Wireless Inkjet All-in-One Printer on my Windows 10 laptop (Acer Aspire - 5745G), and it is working satisfactorily. However, I am unable to scan documents using Windows Fax and Scan (Version
    1606 - OS Build 14393.576) - I receive the following message:

• No scanners were detected. If a scanner is installed, make sure that it is powered on and connected, and then try again. For information about adding or troubleshooting scanners, see Help and Support.
    The WF-2760 will scan using Epson's scanning software, but I would like the option of using Windows Fax and Scan. Is there a way to define the WF-2760 to Windows Fax and Scan? I could not find the
    Help and Support that the error message refers to - the Help shows only
    About Windows Fax and Scan

Thanks. . .

EzekielBarbirolli, Mar 22, 2016
  4. Windows Fax and Scan (WFS)

What are you trying to do
    WFS opens ok for me
    If I want to Scan I just click on the Scan App that shows and I use that

hTconeM9user, Mar 22, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    Run a system file check to look for corrupt files. If any found, it will try to do repair.

Right click at Start button > click Command Prompt (Admin) > at the flashing prompt, copy/paste this.......
    sfc /scannow

> press Enter.
    It will take quite sometime.
    When finished, it will give you one of the 3 reports...............(paraphrasing)
    1. No integrity violation.
    2. Found corrupt files and repair successful.
    3. Found corrupt files but unable to repair.

Please post back the result.

davidhk, Mar 22, 2016
  6. Polterry Win User
    Item 3. See attached screenshot. The log file referred to
    is too large to upload here

Polterry, Mar 23, 2016
  7. Polterry Win User
    I am trying to use the fax part of WFS. If it combines with scan and then faxes great, but not the issue as my scan apps do everything I want regarding scanning. Unlike you when I click on WFS nothing happens

Polterry, Mar 23, 2016
  8. davidhk Win User

Don't need the log.

Sfc /scannow report :
    "Found corrupt files but unable to fix....."

Use this method:
    In the same Command Prompt (Admin) screen, copy and paste this command...........

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

> press Enter.
    Again it will take some time.
    When finished, it will give you a report.

If the report says " Source files could not be found ", post back.
    We can fix that.

davidhk, Mar 23, 2016
  9. Polterry Win User
    Thanks for follow-up. It is as you suspected -"Source files could not be found"
    Regards

Polterry, Mar 24, 2016
  10. davidhk Win User
    Use this Tech Bench link and download the iso file.
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/techbench
    Make sure you pick the same Edition, Language and bit version as your computer is now running.

Once you have the iso downloaded, right click at the ISO > click Mount > leave it there.
    Now, open the elevated command prompt and copy and paste this................

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:H:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess

Note : H is the drive where the iso is mounted. Change it if your driver letter is different.

When it is completed, you should get the report that the operation is successful.
    Now run the sfc /scannow again. It should be ok this time.

davidhk, Mar 24, 2016
  11. Polterry Win User
    I used Win10_1511_SingleLang_EnglishInternational_x64.iso which I had previously downloaded on 8th Jan.
    Restore Health reported that it had repaired files. I then ran sfc /scannow again; I did not de-mount iso. When I clicked WFS file it showed action taking place (circle revolving) a few times but did not load.
    1. I restarted W10
    2. Tried running WFS
    3. Ditto as Administrator
    4. Tried trouble shooting compatibility
    none of the above opened WFS
    5. When clicking WFS it sent a signal to my scanner

Do I need to download new version of iso / run Restore Health again or is there something else to do?

Regards

Polterry, Mar 24, 2016
  12. davidhk Win User
    Your profile says Windows 8.1

Are you running Windows 10 ?
    If yes, which version.
    The current Win 10 version is 10586.
    What's yours ?
    You can find that out by simply typing winver into the search box > press Enter key.

Here is mine .....................

davidhk, Mar 24, 2016
  13. Polterry Win User

W1o same version as yours

Polterry, Mar 24, 2016
  14. davidhk Win User
    Let me understand clearly...................
    You did the dism..... restorehealth and it said operation successful.
    You then did another sfc .scannow.
    You did not say what was the result.
    I am assuming it was also successful.

If so, there is no point doing the dism again.

davidhk, Mar 24, 2016
  15. davidhk Win User
    I think your next move is to do a Repair Install.

Please use the Tech bench link again and download the current ISO file :
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...brrWLRbagYCa0w

scroll down to Select Edition > click the pointer at the right and select Windows 10 ( 1st one on the list ) > click Confirm.
    Click the pointer and select Language > make sure you pick the same language the computer is now running > click Confirm
    Select the bit version, 32 or 64-bit. Make sure you select the same bit version as the computer is now running.
    At the bottom, click the pointer next to Save > click Save As > navigate to a folder of your choice > click the chosen folder > click Save
    The iso will start downloading to your chosen folder.
    When it is done, go to that folder > open the folder > right click at the iso file > click Mount > click Setup.exe
    Installation will begin.
    It will allow you to keep you files, settings and apps.
    No product key is required.
    Activation will be automatic.

davidhk, Mar 24, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows Fax and Scan (WFS) - Similar Threads - Fax Scan WFS

2. Windows Fax and Scan

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Fax and Scan: I deleted Windows Fax and Scan because I was having some issues with it, thinking that may help. Now I cant find an option to reinstall it. Any advice? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-fax-and-scan/df6b6ccb-4c4c-4556-9fb8-eb57eee2e3f4
  3. WFS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    WFS: Helloin WFS Forward as E-mail option is gray out Disablehow can fix it?this is very very force plz help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wfs/efcd2b4d-ec24-4e82-b7f3-87430d61cd8d
  4. Windows Fax and Scan

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Fax and Scan: I think an image has got "stuck" somewhere in the "Print" portion of the program. I put a paper on the glass, Preview it, then resize it up and Scan the resized image-- as I have done for years. But then when I hit Print, the screen shows me an old image, not the new one...
  5. Windows Fax and scan

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Fax and scan: I am running windows 10 Pro. Windows Fax and Scan does not appear under Turn Windows Features On or OFF, Print and Document Services. I get a fatal error when I try to Fax. How do I get it to appear?...
  6. Windows Fax and Scan

Windows Fax and Scan: I have an HP all in one printer/fax/scan/copy. It has its own scan program, but it doesn't give me any flexibility to adjust margins, etc. I opened Windows Fax and Scan, but it won't recognize my printer, even though it works with the HP scan program. I've gone into the...
  7. Windows Fax and Scan

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Fax and Scan: Is there a setup wizard in this program? I tried to setup and account but it doesnt recognize my network name https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-fax-and-scan/fd3f0f22-5802-4f55-8f52-f8a66369a4fe
  8. Windows fax and scan

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows fax and scan: When i try to Add fax moden to Windows fax and scan i get message: you don't have security permissions to complete this operation. Contact your fax administrator for more information. I am the administrator? What do I do next? Any assistance is appreciated?...
  9. windows scan and fax

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    windows scan and fax: Windows scan and fax permission by Microsoft https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/windows-scan-and-fax/f3bdae21-3dc3-4a7f-8f2d-7b56d78637a2"
  10. Windows fax and scan

Windows fax and scan: Why can we not scan to PDF. using the Windows fax and scan software? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/windows-fax-and-scan/8c8c6b51-14b6-45d4-a267-43d3c9b1998a