Windows 10: Windows Feature Update doesn't restart.

Discus and support Windows Feature Update doesn't restart. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; So, this notification pops out at the bottom right of my screen... [img] Since I have nothing in particular I want to do, I close and save all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by smartcooky, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Windows Feature Update doesn't restart.

So, this notification pops out at the bottom right of my screen...

Windows Feature Update doesn't restart. [​IMG]

Since I have nothing in particular I want to do, I close and save all my work, and click "Restart now"

The notification disappears, but the computer does not restart. About an hour goes by, and the notification pops up. I click "Restart now" again, but this time. I restart the computer myself.

The computer restarts, but gives none of the usual indications of updating (the tail chaser icon, the slowly increasing % count etc). Within a couple of hours of restart, the notification is back.

What gives?

:)

smartcooky, Dec 12, 2017

2. Windows 10 Anniversary update won't install?

Hi,

My computer prompts me to restart every couple days to install the same update, so it doesn't seem to ever install I guess.

Feature update to Windows 10, version 1607

Does anyone have a way to fix this?

Thank you!

BobShishka, Dec 12, 2017
  3. Questions about Automatic Windows Update

I'm not looking to update Windows 10. So, it seems no one can tell me why Windows installed a feature update on a version of Windows that I am not running. I would assume that is why when it ask for a restart to finish the install it doesn't work.
    So I will just continue to ignore it.

ShirleyBroadaway, Dec 12, 2017
  4. zbook New Member

Windows Feature Update doesn't restart.

In the left lower corner type: winver > about windows will pop up > post an image into the thread.
    In the left lower corner type windows update >click check for updates > click update history > post an image into the thread

zbook, Dec 12, 2017
  5. EdTittel Win User
    I've experienced this once or twice on one or more of my Win10 PCs, but have never been able to figure out the cause. In every such case, however, the scheduled restart went off and the system reverted to what passes for normal behavior after that. I'm curious to know if you'll have a similar experience in this case. Please follow up, and let us know!
    Thanks,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Dec 12, 2017
  6. Windows Feature Update doesn't restart. [​IMG]

Nothing happens when I type "windows update" no window pops up or opens, but a program called "WindowsUpdateElevatedInstaller.exe" appears at the top of the search results list.

smartcooky, Dec 12, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    You don't seem to have been able to post the screenshot successfully (dropbox sharing permissions?). I have managed to follow the broken link to the dropbox image and can see that it says: Windows 10 Home, version 1709, os build 16299.125.

That is the Fall Creators Update with the latest cumulative update installed. You are fully up to date.

8. Windows Feature Update doesn't restart.

1. I can see the screenshot image, both in my post, and in your post where you have quoted me, and even when logged out. I can even see it on my phone..

2. Cool, so if I am fully up to date, why does windows keep prompting me to update... did it again this morning, after I posted the OP

smartcooky, Dec 12, 2017
  9. zbook New Member
    See if you can open and post an image of windows update history.

zbook, Dec 12, 2017
  10. This?

smartcooky, Dec 14, 2017
  11. Bree New Member
    @smartcooky, I'm still not seeing the images you are posting. This one at Dropbox - W10UH.png just shows as a broken image placeholder. Not only that, but there's a ?dl=1 at the end of the URL for the image that forces it to be 'download-only' even after you've looked at the properties (as I did) to find out its address.

*Arrow How to Upload and Post Screenshots and Files at Ten Forums

Edit: apparently not all browsers have this problem. For example, I can see it in Edge, but not in IE. It must be the '?dl=1' bit that's causing this problem.

12. On dropbox we are told to change dl=0 to dl=1 to get it to view as a hotlink. This works in Edge, Chrome, Firefox, Opera and Safari (on a Mac)

How about this... can you see this (using "raw=1" instead of "dl=1")

smartcooky, Dec 14, 2017
  13. Bree New Member

Yes. That shows fine in IE.

Strange that it seems it's just IE that has this problem - but I know that there are a significant minority here that still use it.

Thanks.

Thema:

1. Windows Feature Update doesn't restart. - Similar Threads - Feature Update doesn't

2. Windows Update says `Restart Required` but doesn't updates on restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Update says `Restart Required` but doesn't updates on restart: So, even when clicking the dedicated button in the windows updateit still doesn't updates on restart https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-says-restart-required-but-doesnt/1b3ab1c8-bcf2-485d-83c7-1c46f1d711ba
  3. Windows Update says `Restart Required` but doesn't updates on restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Update says `Restart Required` but doesn't updates on restart: So, even when clicking the dedicated button in the windows updateit still doesn't updates on restart https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-says-restart-required-but-doesnt/1b3ab1c8-bcf2-485d-83c7-1c46f1d711ba
  4. Windows restart doesn't work

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows restart doesn't work: If i want to restart windows, it wil turn off and boot past bios and stops. I will get a black screen, i know the screen is on and is the right input. Also my keyboard and mouse don't glow up. And also the Ethernet is the only thing glowing. This only happens if i use the...
  5. Windows restart doesn't work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows restart doesn't work: If i want to restart windows, it wil turn off and boot past bios and stops. I will get a black screen, i know the screen is on and is the right input. Also my keyboard and mouse don't glow up. And also the Ethernet is the only thing glowing. This only happens if i use the...
  6. Windows restart doesn't work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Updated to the feature update but it doesn't have the latest features

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Updated to the feature update but it doesn't have the latest features: So I've updated my laptop to the latest version and was exited to see the new/better start menu but here's the twist, it looks exactly the same as before, no, I'm not tripping, I'm 100% sure. The ugly square around every icons is still there. And I tried to test if it has...
  8. Windows feature update normal restart ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows feature update normal restart ?: Hi i just updated to the new feature update and i have 2 questions: Is it normal that after the update and restart windows immediatly restarts to finish ,i mean i looked away and didnt see a update finishing from 30% and then restart allmost post-boot.. The other question...
  9. Restart to install the latest windows feature update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Restart to install the latest windows feature update: Is this legit?[IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restart-to-install-the-latest-windows-feature/ba6d7e5f-a775-41f7-bdd8-cd32da438df1
  10. Fall creators update: PC doesn't restart

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fall creators update: PC doesn't restart: ...and a dialog box pops up saying "Windows 10 installation has failed". Upgrading via the MCT on a 1703 PC. 95860

Users found this page by searching for:

1. feature update dont restart