Windows 10: Windows file explorer has stopped responding

Discus and support Windows file explorer has stopped responding in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello all, I will be marking this as solved. The steps that I have taken is removing the file explorer Icon adding a shortcut to my documents. This... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Hayden93, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Hayden93 Win User

Windows file explorer has stopped responding

Hello all,
    I will be marking this as solved. The steps that I have taken is removing the file explorer Icon adding a shortcut to my documents. This will stop the library from checking for the external drive that is constantly causing this problem.
    -Hayden

Hayden93, Apr 4, 2018
  2. Hayden93 Win User

Hi everyone,
    Having an issue with a clients laptop. File explorer stops responding when the Quick Access tab is opened. After some testing I was able to stop the problem in Quick Access options ticking "show recently used files in Quick Access" and "Show frequently used folders in Quick Access", hitting clear and restoring defaults.
    That job had left the shop, the laptop is now back a month later with the same issue. Is there a way that I can fix this specific permanently?
    -Hayden

:)

Hayden93, Apr 11, 2018
  3. File Explorer has gone crazy after last nights upgrade.

My only has icons instead of full descriptions. I can not get back to a point where I have tabs that actually say something. Please tell me how to get my view repaired? help... Help.... HELP!!!

File Explorer, Apr 11, 2018
  4. Windows file explorer has stopped responding

File Explorer stops responding

The SD card was taken out of my phone and it is in an SD card reader plugged into the built-in socket in both the computers. And the process can be cancelled and this only happens on a few files.

And no changes were made on the computer.

I presume it is just a few files that are corrupted. So I'm going to try uploading the individual files onto OneDrive and then onto the computer. Thank you for your support Windows file explorer has stopped responding :)

DavidPodraza, Apr 11, 2018
  5. Berton Win User
    Could be a number of issues, could be Quick Access is attempting to access files located on a LAN, a NAS drive attached to a Router or on removable drives such as a USB Thumb drive, maybe a second drive in the computer or a partition on the only drive. Or perhaps files that have been deleted but Quick Access didn't remove them from itself. Having such problems would suggest a diagnostic of turning Quick Access off and run without it while doing other file management functions.

Berton, Apr 11, 2018
  6. Have you tried clearing the File Explorer history.

Right click the Quick Access link and select Options.

Windows file explorer has stopped responding [​IMG]

4) Under General tab, choose Clear under Privacy category. This will help you clear the File Explorer history.

Windows file explorer has stopped responding [​IMG]

Unpin all the items from Quick Access by selecting Unpin from Quick Access right-click context menu option for the items pinned to Quick Access. If the issue resolves then you can then pin any item you want to see issue persist.

Execute below command to reset quick access to it default.

Code: del /F /Q %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations\*[/quote]
    Have you also change the Open File Explorer to: This PC option at the Folder Options.

Error check hard disk by executing Chkdsk C:\ /f command.

Also execute Sfc /scannow command to repair any corrupted system files.

FreeBooter, Apr 11, 2018
  7. Hayden93 Win User
    Hello there,
    Yes all processes previously completed and first steps take as mentioned in original post. I have narrowed the issue down to an external drive.
    -Hayden

Hayden93, Apr 11, 2018
Thema:

Windows file explorer has stopped responding

1. Windows file explorer has stopped responding - Similar Threads - file explorer has

2. File Explorer frequently stops responding

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer frequently stops responding: Consistently, when i access certain files, usually ones a couple folders in, my file explorer will stop responding and do nothing until restarted.I have read a lot of readily available help, suggesting things like "sfc/scannow" in cmd or a system health check in powershell,...
  3. File Explorer frequently stops responding

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer frequently stops responding: Consistently, when i access certain files, usually ones a couple folders in, my file explorer will stop responding and do nothing until restarted.I have read a lot of readily available help, suggesting things like "sfc/scannow" in cmd or a system health check in powershell,...
  4. File Explorer frequently stops responding

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows Explorer stops responding freezes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Explorer stops responding freezes: I'm having this problem frequently -> when I'm opening a file, the Windows Explorer window freezes.When I close the window, this has the unfortunately side effect of closing ALL of the Windows Explorer windows I have open. This is a real drag when I'm at work. I basically...
  6. File explorer - stops responding

File explorer - stops responding: Hello everybody, I need your assistance please . When i launch file explorer on my Windows 10 machine, it stops responding freezes . I have tried the below troubleshooting steps without any joy. Killed the program in the task manager, tried to relaunch again Control...
  7. File Explorer stops responding

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer stops responding: The issue occurs when I am trying to access File Explorer using any 3rd party software. It might be Zoom, Viber or even Chrome. I have to reboot the system to start it working again...
  8. file explorer has stopped working

file explorer has stopped working: file explorer has stopped working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-has-stopped-working/32d4c912-9faf-48ab-8b00-048d510f4777"
  9. "Windows has stopped responding"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    "Windows has stopped responding": Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and English is not my native language so apologies in advance if I am hard to understand. I have a problem with my computer that I simply can not understand and I am completely stumped as to what might cause this. Caution, long...
  10. "Windows has stopped responding"

in Windows 10 Support
    "Windows has stopped responding": Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and English is not my native language so apologies in advance if I am hard to understand. I have a problem with my computer that I simply can not understand and I am completely stumped as to what might cause this. Caution, long...