Windows 10: Windows (File Explorer) not retaining my set size and position?

Discus and support Windows (File Explorer) not retaining my set size and position? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've noticed this problem with many of the internal programs such as file explorer, that will open up in an unusable size and position, and even after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Winneh da Pu, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Windows (File Explorer) not retaining my set size and position?

I've noticed this problem with many of the internal programs such as file explorer, that will open up in an unusable size and position, and even after I adjust those to my preferred settings, they always revert back.

Is there a fix for this that will allow me to set the size and position of any window in Win10 and it will remain that way?

:)

Winneh da Pu, Dec 23, 2017

2. File Explorer has gone crazy after last nights upgrade.

My only has icons instead of full descriptions. I can not get back to a point where I have tabs that actually say something. Please tell me how to get my view repaired? help... Help.... HELP!!!

File Explorer, Dec 23, 2017
  3. Settings are not being saved

Hi,

The settings that I set on my computer are not being saved, even though I click "save". The next day, when I turn on the computer, the settings are not retained.

The not retained settings are in two areas:

+ Internet Explorer 11, on specific web sites user IDs are not being retained,

+ Within Windows, the default application for specific file types. e.g. for a .CSV file, I set the default application to be Excel. The next day, the default application is set back to Notepad.

The account I use is an Administrator account on the computer.

I am running Windows 10 Home, the latest version (before the Creators Update.)

Thanks,

Dan

DanielToronto, Dec 23, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Windows (File Explorer) not retaining my set size and position?

You might try this trick- I've not checked if it works in '10...
    How to keep your window size? - OS Customization, Tips and Tweaks - Neowin

Normally, if all is well, this is not a problem. There are 3rd party programs that claim to deal with this, but really they should not be necessary- it suggests some form of corruption.

DeskSoft - WindowManager - Window position and size manager
    (Commercial)
    WinSize2 download | SourceForge.net
    (Free - Note only seems to be specified to Win 8)

You may wish to try an in-place upgrade repair install which keeps all data and programs in the hope that registry entries are corrected.

Example: I observed this registry change which appears related to changing the size of a file explorer window and closing it:

Windows (File Explorer) not retaining my set size and position? [​IMG]

dalchina, Dec 24, 2017
  5. Thanks dalchina I will try those suggestions.

Winneh da Pu, Dec 25, 2017
  6. lx07 Win User
    I tried fixing it in the registry for WinDBG (a Microsoft program). Doesn't work and this is after a clean install.

The thing still opens at some bizzare offset in the bottom LHS and is very small (as is even more annoyingly the next window it opens).

It must be stored somewhere (and presumably I'm replicating this through sync-settings on my Microsoft account) but I can't find it. At all.

It would be nice if things were documented but they aren't.

If you find it please update this thread.

7. Clint Win User
    Have you tried, when you get it the size you want, hold down the Ctrl key when you close it.

Clint, Dec 26, 2017
  8. Windows (File Explorer) not retaining my set size and position?

Nope, never even heard of that before you mentioned it here. I'll give it a go.

Winneh da Pu, Dec 26, 2017
  9. dalchina New Member
    And you could try the idea in the first link I mentioned... old- I've no idea if it might help- but costs almost nothing...
    Posted March 2, 2007

The shift key DID work, but for some reason only AFTER I went into "folder options" and unchecked "remember each folder view settings" then I closed explorer, opened it again and then checked "remember each folder view settings" again, held shift and now they all stay the size I want them to.
    Thank you one and all for your help. This is my first time here at this forum and I can see I'm really going to like it.

dalchina, Dec 26, 2017
  10. lx07 Win User
    Hmmm for WinDBG I found the File >Save Workspace updates the position that it will open.

I tried the shift/ctrl/both but nothing made a difference.

It turns out it saves it to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windbg\Workspaces and changes (in binary notation) the location starting in x0348 but only when you click "Save Workspace"

This is fullscreen for example:

And this is not:

I found positions x0360 onwards hold the position of the Window and you can move where it opens by updating registry (although I can't understand the logic for what numbers to put in I just copied them).

This is obviously not very helpful but it seems it is the case that some programs store their starting window positions in any odd place and (seemingly) it is completely up to them where they put it.

Thema:

Windows (File Explorer) not retaining my set size and position?

1. Windows (File Explorer) not retaining my set size and position? - Similar Threads - File Explorer retaining

2. Windows 11 File Explorer does not retain its size and location on the screen.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 File Explorer does not retain its size and location on the screen.: Hello. Using the Windows 11 Pro operating system, I encountered an error. When I open the Explorer program, I adjust its size using arrows in different corners of the Explorer window and location on the computer screen. The problem is that by closing the explorer and opening...
  3. Windows 11 File Explorer does not retain its size and location on the screen.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 File Explorer does not retain its size and location on the screen.: Hello. Using the Windows 11 Pro operating system, I encountered an error. When I open the Explorer program, I adjust its size using arrows in different corners of the Explorer window and location on the computer screen. The problem is that by closing the explorer and opening...
  4. Windows Explorer Not Retaining Settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer Not Retaining Settings: I have Windows 11 and am using a Lenovo Idea Pad. I use this computer mainly for designing, using lightburn laser software. Because of this, I have a large amount of SVG files saved, and I set my view to extra large in file explorer. When I attempt to open a file in my...
  5. Windows Explorer Not Retaining Settings

Windows Explorer Not Retaining Settings: I have Windows 11 and am using a Lenovo Idea Pad. I use this computer mainly for designing, using lightburn laser software. Because of this, I have a large amount of SVG files saved, and I set my view to extra large in file explorer. When I attempt to open a file in my...
  6. How do I preserve my size & position settings for File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I preserve my size & position settings for File Explorer?: Currently, in Windows 11, every time I open File Explorer or any of my specific folder shortcuts the window defaults to the Maximized view. I've already tried changing the Properties / Shortcut / Run / Normal option, but the Maximized view persists. I've also played with all...
  7. How do I preserve my size & position settings for File Explorer?

How do I preserve my size & position settings for File Explorer?: Currently, in Windows 11, every time I open File Explorer or any of my specific folder shortcuts the window defaults to the Maximized view. I've already tried changing the Properties / Shortcut / Run / Normal option, but the Maximized view persists. I've also played with all...
  8. Position of File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Position of File Explorer: After reconfiguring my PC with Win 10, twice because of update failures, once completed I've tried to reposition File Explorer on the right side of my screen. I can in fact reposition it, but once I close it and launch it again, it reverts back to the left side of screen,...
  9. Retain window sizes

in Windows 10 Customization
    Retain window sizes: When enlarging a window, next time I open the window it is small again. This happens in several applications. Is there a general parameter for this or.... It doesn't seems to be associated with a specific apps, but rather a more general issue. I've never had a problem...
  10. Windows Explorer: Have each folder retain its size, position, settings

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer: Have each folder retain its size, position, settings: Windows Explorer: Have each folder retain its size, position, settings I do recall that in previous versions of windows one of the features was the ability to customize a folder including background art. The folder would remember where it was, what size it was, and what...