Windows 10: Windows file explorer opening multiple windows, correctly set options

Discus and support Windows file explorer opening multiple windows, correctly set options in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; If I open file explorer and browse to c then go down 2 folders, another window will pop open and there will be 2 instances of it. If I go to my d... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jarablue, Apr 4, 2016.

1. jarablue Win User

Windows file explorer opening multiple windows, correctly set options

If I open file explorer and browse to c then go down 2 folders, another window will pop open and there will be 2 instances of it. If I go to my d drive, it automatically opens a separate window. I have already changed file and folder options to default and to open the same window. Something is corrupt in here and I can't fix it. Already ran SFC and it didn't help. What the hell is going on with file explorer in windows 10??? Any way to reset it to default via the registry or somehow?

Thanks!

:)

jarablue, Apr 4, 2016

2. Windows 10. No files are getting displayed.

Try going to Control Panel, locate File Explorer Options, and set it to open at This PC, rather than Quick Access.

If This PC opens correctly, try clearing Explorer history (found in the Options dialog as well)

Keith

Keith A. Miller, Apr 4, 2016
  3. MarkIrle Win User
    Windows 10 File Explorer crashes and resets on open from taskbar or windows tab

I found that File Explorer crashed too quickly to use your method.

Instead, I typed Quick Access in the "Search Windows" on the task bar. I could then open File Explorer Options without opening Explorer itself. I could then clear the File Explorer History.

File Explorer now opens correctly.

Thanks for the initial hint.

MarkIrle, Apr 4, 2016
  4. Windows file explorer opening multiple windows, correctly set options

Try this sevenforums post and see if this helps you. I know this is not in Windows 10, but they are close in the same relation (windows 7 and 10). *Smile

Computer Chicken, Apr 4, 2016
  5. jarablue Win User
    Thanks. I have already run sfc /SCANNOW. It didn't help. I am thinking it has something to do with how classicshell is handing windows explorer. Checking to see if I can find any info. Thanks again.

jarablue, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows file explorer opening multiple windows, correctly set options

1. Windows file explorer opening multiple windows, correctly set options - Similar Threads - file explorer opening

2. Windows file explorer not sorting correctly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows file explorer not sorting correctly: Win 8.1. in the downloads folder, I select sort by Modified date. I unzipped today a file. The resultant unzipped file with today's modified date shows up sorted with files of a much earlier modified date ,...
  3. Windows file explorer not sorting correctly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows file explorer not sorting correctly: Win 8.1. in the downloads folder, I select sort by Modified date. I unzipped today a file. The resultant unzipped file with today's modified date shows up sorted with files of a much earlier modified date ,...
  4. Windows explorer opens multiple files

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows explorer opens multiple files: Hi, May be a repeated question, but I was wondering, why windows explorer opens multiple files in a strange order? For example, if say, I have four files in a folder, named A, C, J, Z and to open them, I select them in this order..A, C, J, Z, then windows will open them in...
  5. File explorer not opening multiple files at once.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer not opening multiple files at once.: For some reason, when I try to open 45 files at once, it does nothing. Somehow I was able to do this with over 100 files but I forgot how I managed to do that. They all have the same program and same file extension .mesh. It's supposed to open with a converter program....
  6. File Explorer Keeps Opening Files Multiple Times In Multiple Windows

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Keeps Opening Files Multiple Times In Multiple Windows: I have done the 'system file checker' scan and have the computer running in 'clean' mode and still Windows 10 seems to continue opening new manifestations of "File Explorer" without prompting. At the moment it is up to four, but it will continue to grow. Is there a fix in...
  7. How to open File Explorer Options in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to open File Explorer Options in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]This post will show you how to open Folder Options or File Explorer Options in Windows 10/8/7. File Explorer Options is referred to as Folder Options in Windows 8/7. Using the File Explorer Options, you can customize where File Explorer [...] This post How...
  8. Opening multiple windows with Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Opening multiple windows with Windows Explorer: It seems kinda random to me but mostly when I open a second window it opens on top the the first window, but some times it opens next to the first window. Is there any way that could be made default? 82419
  9. File Explorer multiple windows opening

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer multiple windows opening: A new glitch has developed in my Win 10 file explorer. Whenever I attempt to select multiple files in a row, in order to move them, no matter how careful I am multiple windows open for each file. As I have over 2000 files to move from one network computer to another this has...
  10. Opening multiple files in file explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Opening multiple files in file explorer: Windows 10. I no longer am able to open more than one jpg file in Photoshop Elements 14 (so maybe this is a PE problem as don't have a problem with Word or Excel files?) If I select more than one it will open every one except the first one selected (usually though seems a bit...