Windows 10: Windows File History wont backup the specified folders i told it to

Discus and support Windows File History wont backup the specified folders i told it to in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Windows File History wont backup the specified folders i told it to, its only backing up part of the specified folders. I want it to backup my entire C... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by JMacRL, Jul 11, 2017.

1. JMacRL Win User

Windows File History wont backup the specified folders i told it to

Windows File History wont backup the specified folders i told it to, its only backing up part of the specified folders. I want it to backup my entire C drive which is where all my files are, but it doesn't do that. I'm using a 1TB Seagate
    external Drive.

:)

JMacRL, Jul 11, 2017
  2. subsci Win User

File History does not backup all files

As I understand File History, one can specify additional folders to backup. These folders are not being backed up. Why? Is it because the folder contains the wrong file type? How about answering how to make File History work, rather than Windows 7
    backup (which is great to have on Windows 10)?

subsci, Jul 11, 2017
  3. Kadeo26 Win User
    File History won't exclude folders

Hi Vincenzo

I have followed that procedure and it worked for me on the first new backup

I will now try a second backup

The second backup excluded the requested folders as specified

On subsequent test backups:

I also had to delete the File History folder for any folder that I removed from the exclusion list using the classic dialog otherwise File History kept backing it up

I had to use the modern dialog to add a folder to File History backup

So far, so good

Thanks

Kadeo26, Jul 11, 2017
  4. Eagle51 Win User

First, You shouldn't use File History to backup your C: drive. File History is usually just for backing up your documents, photos, music, etc. You should use something like Macrium Refelect Free (Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free) to make an image backup of your c: drive ... but to each his own *Smile

You told it to backup C:\ then you excluded C:\ ... You need to point it the exact folder.
    Backup
    C:\
    Exclude
    C:\Users

Note: If your going to backup the C: drive you don't need to backup Program Files(x86) as well.

Eagle51, Jul 11, 2017
  5. JMacRL Win User
    Thanks i guess ill just use this program then it looks alot easier!

JMacRL, Jul 11, 2017
  6. JMacRL Win User
    How do i delete this thread

JMacRL, Jul 11, 2017
  7. RolandJS Win User
    Leave the thread be, other folks, newbies, will learn what you learned, and thank you for posting your experience *Smile

RolandJS, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows File History wont backup the specified folders i told it to - Similar Threads - File History wont

2. File History backup?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History backup?: If I move a file from folder A already backedup in file history to a USB PenDrive to folder B, will it show up in folder B in FileHistory in the next backup? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-backup/2135cd57-4a9e-4e43-9fd9-d1bbff65e057
  3. File history backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File history backup: I am planning to upgrade my notebook. Ques is, I have my data saved as file history in an external drive. Will I be able to restore data into new notebook from this file history?...
  4. File history backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File history backup: Windows 10 v 2004.I notice when selecting Settings-Windows Update-Backup-the option to "add a drive" to back up using file history has been replaced with "Automatically back up my files"although not ON as default. How does this work to back up to a seperate drive? 158363
  5. File History for Backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History for Backup: Are there any complete instructions how File History works and how one is to retrieve documents when needed. Also how to eliminate files when File History back up drive is full. Thanks.... RDH...
  6. Unable to add folders to File History Backup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to add folders to File History Backup: Hi everyone, hopefully this is the right place to post. I’m trying to create a backup as part of a course and I’m running into issues. The assignment specifies using backup and restore (windows 7) for this, but when I click on setup backup nothing happens. The spinning wheel...
  7. file history, adding folders to backup

file history, adding folders to backup: How do you backup file history? windows 10 pro https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-adding-folders-to-backup/b3568a24-a3c3-48dd-a5c6-e625870bcd15
  8. File History Backup and Appdata folders

File History Backup and Appdata folders: I have two home computers both on an Office 365 subscription, Windows 10. Many ‘C:\...User’ folders are included in ‘File History, Backup’ by default but the ‘User\AppData’ folder is not. Is it a good idea to include any of the AppData folders in backups? For example,...
  9. Backup file history

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Backup file history: How do I set up File History to back up to an external hard drive in Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/backup-file-history/2809c456-e34a-47f9-93ab-ea6c9188fd03"
  10. Backup Files and Folders with File History in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Backup Files and Folders with File History in Windows 10: How to: Backup Files and Folders with File History in Windows 10 How to Manually Create a File History Backup in Windows 10 [img] Information File History was first introduced in Windows 8, and has been improved in Windows 10. You can use File History to...