Windows 10: Windows File Indexing - current progress

Discus and support Windows File Indexing - current progress in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I wanted to include the contents of .tpl files in searches so I made the appropriate changes in Indexing Options and also chose to Delete and rebuild... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Doodled, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Doodled Win User

Windows File Indexing - current progress

I wanted to include the contents of .tpl files in searches so I made the appropriate changes in Indexing Options and also chose to Delete and rebuild index which will apparantly take a long time. But how do I know when it is complete or what progress has been made so far?

When I re-open Indexing options it says 'Indexing complete' but I have thousands of .tpl files so I know this can't be true and it is still not possible to search their content.

Is there some kind of progress status somewhere?

Many thanks for any insights!

:)

Doodled, Nov 19, 2016

2. The Search window in all "Setting" not working

As an initial troubleshooting, we suggest that you re-index your Settings folder. Please follow these steps:

• Press Windows key + R to open the Run window.
    • Type %LocalAppData%\Packages\windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState.
    • Click on OK button.
    • Right-click on the Indexed folder.
    • Select Properties.
    • Click on Advanced... button.
    • Put a check on the Allow files in this folder to have contents indexed in addition to file properties
      option.
    • Click on OK button.
    • Click on Apply button.
    • Click on OK. A window with a progress bar will pop up as the folder is indexed.
    • Click on OK when the indexing progress is finished.

Let us know how it goes.

Janeane Cru, Nov 19, 2016
  3. Settings search not working

Hi Ethan,

To address your concern on Windows 10 Settings search, kindly follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + R on your keyboard to open the Run window.
    • Type %LocalAppData%\Packages\windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState and click on OK.
    • Right click on the Indexed folder and click on Properties.
    • Click Advanced.
    • Click on the checkbox beside Allow files in this folder to have contents indexed in addition to file properties.
    • Click on OK, then Apply.
    • Click on OK. A window with a progress bar will pop up as the folder is indexed.
    • Click on OK when the indexing progress is finished.
    Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Robelene Win, Nov 19, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, the only progress indicator I know of is Indexing Options.
    Have you checked to see if tpl types are indexed as here?
    And I assume
    means you have selected the folders where these files reside.

Windows File Indexing - current progress [​IMG]

If you find explorer search inconvenient, we thoroughly recommend the free very fast tools
    Ultrasearch
    Locate32
    Everything by Void Tools

These build and maintain an index of files and folders on all disks/partitions, and search is find-as-you-type with various levels of filtering or restriction. They do not index content.

dalchina, Nov 19, 2016
  5. Doodled Win User
    Thanks but done all that and .tpl did exist in the link so changed it to Plain Text Filter.

But even without this new file type if I click 'Advanced' and then select 'Rebuild' I get a warning message that 'Rebuilding the index may take a long time to complete'. I click OK anyway and it still says 'Indexing complete' but cannot find text strings in the .tpl.

I've done this before and sometime the next day it starts working. I was just wondering if there was a way to see progress and no when the re-index is complete ....

Doodled, Nov 19, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    If you watch Indexing Options after specifying sthg new to index you will see activity when indexing, and indication of how many items are indexed. That's your progress indicator. Complete is complete.

Now you mention
    1. Can you find the files?
    2. If so, have you checked this for the folder(s) containing your files?

And
    this should be checked for tpl file type.

After that, I'm wondering if its content isn't being indexed because Windows does not recognise it as of kind text. Perhaps you need to assign it as such.

dalchina, Nov 19, 2016
  7. Doodled Win User
    The .tpl bit in here is probably a red herring at the moment. I'll try it another way:

- I go to Indexing Options in the control panel
    - I click 'Advanced'
    - By 'Delete and rebuild index' I click Rebuild
    - I get a warning that this could take some time but I click OK
    - I close everything and then return to Indexing Options again
    - It say indexing is complete

One of my indexing locations is my F drive - a hard drive with 68GB of files on including .docs, etc. Apparently Windows 10 has rebuilt the entire index within 10 seconds? I just think that can't be true ....

Doodled, Nov 19, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Screenshots help enormously. Could you please post one like this? (And yes, that's my '10 not '7).

It takes a minute or two to rebuild that index.

As to whether your index is effective, I'll ask again, can you actually find any files (names, not content) that should be indexed?

Now, and not immediately directly relevant to your issue, what I have found that despite everything being set up to index content of rtf files, taking and example of a folder and files which should be so indexed, whatever I do, rtf's content isn't indexed. (txt files are). I don't use Windows search content indexing normally, and use other tools as I mentioned. I find that very puzzling.

(I used to use Google desktop search which does work - I recently set that up again- the only one I know of that supports OCR'g and indexing e.g. image base pdf's).

dalchina, Nov 20, 2016
  9. Doodled Win User

Thanks for you time on this - I've uploaded the screenshot.

Searches work fine so perhaps re-indexing is a whole lot faster than I thought.

Re .tpl files Windows 10 doesn't seem to be able to read the contents while Windows 8 could so perhaps just a glitch in this version.

Thanks for the pointer to UltraSearch - I've downloaded that and it can do the job with .tpls ... unless my screenshot brings on any revelations ... *Smile

Doodled, Nov 20, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    Search indexing backs off if your PC is even slightly busy. If everything's fast, indexing should be fairly quick, depending on how many items and how much content indexing there is to do, as you'd expect. I can see mine progress in stages- just 12,000 or whatever it was.

Having noted rtf's aren't being indexed (as they should) - and I've not checked other file types- it's quite possible your tpl files aren't being indexed.

The registry contains this:

(PerceivedType).
    I even tried changing that to text as per txt files which are indexed, restarting and rebuilding- no difference.
    Windows also allocates file types to a 'kind' as per the document below. For example, two video file types - divx and flv- are not by default designated as of kind video, but can be so set manually so their thumbnails appear.

I'm wondering as above if that is relevant (I've now shown it's not- doxcx, rtf, pdf and txt are all of kind documents, but the 1st 3 aren't indexed by content), or there's simply a bug in Windows search- which, as I said, really isn't worth the effort of trying to use beyond the trivial.

Windows search has too many quirks and oddities to be reliable for all uses- it's useful for fairly trivial searches, and to support start menu and settings searches. But you can use more complicated syntax.. if you can recall it on the odd occasion it's needed.

E.g. Maybe

?x*.* NOT yx*.* kind:video foldername:Videos\Myfamily date:last week

(If I've got that right, which is very unlikely). Yes, well. I rest my case.
    Advanced Query Syntax (Windows)

dalchina, Nov 20, 2016
  11. .docx and .pdf file are indexed with the correct filter. I can't tell you about .rtf files, I don't use them often enough.

Alan Russell, Nov 20, 2016
  12. dalchina New Member
    Thanks- I have a pdf filter listed- I'm guessing it simply doesn't work. I'm going to try changing my pdf defaults.
    rtf - I've tried Wordpad and WPS (Kingsoft) as default- neither work.

As for docx, I use WPS (Kingsoft) - but now I've checked that, there's no filter for that, so that explains that.

For me it's no more than curiosity- Windows search is problematical, so I only use it minimally.

dalchina, Nov 20, 2016
  13. dalchina New Member

Solution: it seems the ifilters (dlls used to open files of certain types) may become unregistered as you install other programs that can be associated with those file types. This worked for me for rtf:
    regsvr32 C:\Windows\System32\rtffilt.dllSee: RTF file searching is not working? - Mythicsoft QA

I assume that knowing the other ifilters (which can be listed using Nirsoft's SearchFilterView) one can re-register them.

It follows that the tpl file type may not have an appropriate ifilter registered for it- or that filter may not be registered.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows File Indexing - current progress - Similar Threads - File Indexing current

2. Mouse undos current action in progress

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse undos current action in progress: This is a problem with every version of Windows since win95 up to win 10I'll be working in Paint or some other graphic software. In this case I'm making custom Christmas cards.----------------------I'm trying to move a portion of a graphic from one place to another, I drag a...
  3. Windows is not "index" a doc, file or zip file.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows is not "index" a doc, file or zip file.: Windows is not "index" a doc, file or zip file. When I search in File Explorer it will not find the file that I know and can see when I search the folder manually?...
  4. Windows is not "index" a doc, file or zip file.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows is not "index" a doc, file or zip file.: Windows is not "index" a doc, file or zip file. When I search in File Explorer it will not find the file that I know and can see when I search the folder manually?...
  5. Windows is not "index" a doc, file or zip file.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Windows 10 Search degraded, Indexing progress failing to retain status

Windows 10 Search degraded, Indexing progress failing to retain status: My Windows 10 Search function is failing, so I started to re-index. As of today, number of indexed items has fallen dramatically, while Pending Items has increased dramatically. I am using "Enhanced". Total Items are about 782,000. Are there any known problems with the...
  7. indexing the files in a folder

in Windows 10 Support
    indexing the files in a folder: I have to index the files in a folder which are inside subfolders. [img] I have made a Microsoft word document. I am manually going in each folder and then opening command prompt and then on command prompt I type dir /b I get some output and then I paste it on word...
  8. File and Folder upload not progressing

File and Folder upload not progressing: hi, I am uploading my files manually in onedrive website and it doesnt progress even I have waited for 2 hours. There were no error message appeared. please refer to photo attached. [ATTACH]...
  9. File Search Indexing

File Search Indexing: Hello community, my files from a network mapped drive are not indexed. when i search a file from Windows Search, it does not find the file yet the is there on my network mapped drive. The workstation is running windows 10, my network folder is shared locally from Windows 10...
  10. file explorer progress bar

file explorer progress bar: I am having two problems: PS C:\Users\mina> net view net : System error 1231 has occurred. At line:1 char:1 + net view + ~~~~~~~~ + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (System error 1231 has occurred.:S tring) [], RemoteException + FullyQualifiedErrorId :...