Windows 10: Windows Firewall needs to be disabled for app to work

Discus and support Windows Firewall needs to be disabled for app to work in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi All I am attempting to diagnose an issue when joining a meeting for PersonalVMR.com - on a domain joined laptop. The meeting starts, but Video in... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Steven8294, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Windows Firewall needs to be disabled for app to work

Hi All

I am attempting to diagnose an issue when joining a meeting for PersonalVMR.com - on a domain joined laptop. The meeting starts, but Video in and Out are not transmitted. I have added Windows Firewall rules for ALL ports, on Any protocol, for Any application for Domain, Public and Private - inbound and outbound. The meeting still doesn't work - if I disable the Windows Firewall service, and then stop it - it all works fine - anyone have any idea how this might be happening? Surely the rule should be covering everything? I have also added a rule for Chrome too, which is the browser the meeting is in, still no luck.

:)

Steven8294, Mar 11, 2018
  2. DominusIT Win User

Windows Firewall needs to be disabled to indtall fonts

When will the bug (yes it is a bug, a flaw) be addressed that requires Windows Firewall to be enabled prior to installing fonts.

I see absolutely no correlation between the a firewall and installing fonts.

IF this has been fixed... in what build was it addressed?

I have not been able to locate a single KB that addresses this failure.

Windows 10 font Installation bug- Original Title

DominusIT, Mar 11, 2018
  3. Windows Firewall needs to be disabled to indtall fonts

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Community.

We understand your concern and we will provide the assistance required to help you resolve the issue.

As per your query, I would like to inform that we are still working on the above issue. But as of now, Windows Firewall will not allow installation of fonts to prevent a security risk of allowing Internet files to be added to the System32 directory directly.
    Windows App Container service also relies on the Firewall to function. When installing the fonts, microsoft.windows.fontdrvhost is unable to register with Firewall w3hich causes the installation to fail.

I would suggest that you post your suggestions about the above topic in our Feedback app so that uor developers can works towards resolving this issue.

Hope this helps

Vanessa Sohtun, Mar 11, 2018
  4. EdTittel Win User

Windows Firewall needs to be disabled for app to work

EdTittel, Mar 11, 2018
  5. Hi Ed

Thanks for your reply, I am currently unable to do this due to group policy, I would expect the same results as disabling the firewall as a service - however if you think we might see different results, I can arrange

Steven8294, Mar 12, 2018
  6. EdTittel Win User
    I don't think a different method will produce different results: AFAIK the two approaches (turning off firewall explicitly vs. turning off the firewall service) end up doing the same thing. And alas, I can't find any information AT ALL about troubleshooting personalvmr.com's offerings. I hate to say this, but you're probably going to have to reach out to their tech support folks for more help. Sorry I can't shed any further light on this.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows Firewall needs to be disabled for app to work

1. Windows Firewall needs to be disabled for app to work - Similar Threads - Firewall needs disabled

2. Firewall disabled

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Firewall disabled: I recently uninstalled the Norton 360 AV suite I'd been using for a couple of years in favor of another AV software. I soon get a notification from Windows security that the firewall services are inactive. I checked and saw that both Windows firewall and the new AV firewall...
  3. Firewall disabled

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Firewall disabled: I recently uninstalled the Norton 360 AV suite I'd been using for a couple of years in favor of another AV software. I soon get a notification from Windows security that the firewall services are inactive. I checked and saw that both Windows firewall and the new AV firewall...
  4. Need Help With Windows Firewall

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need Help With Windows Firewall: From this Windows Report article "How to see if Windows Firewall is blocking a port or program" I found that with this command netsh firewall show state showing different result in my machine.Please see below screenshots. See Ports currently open on all network interfaces...
  5. Need Help With Windows Firewall

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need Help With Windows Firewall: From this Windows Report article "How to see if Windows Firewall is blocking a port or program" I found that with this command netsh firewall show state showing different result in my machine.Please see below screenshots. See Ports currently open on all network interfaces...
  6. Port-forwarding only works with disabled Firewall

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Port-forwarding only works with disabled Firewall: Hello everyone, im having the same issue since months. It works on my RPI, but not on W10. Port-forwarding is enabled on my router. The required firewall rules are created and activated. The only way i can make the port-forwarding work is by disabling the whole firewall. The...
  7. Firewall and default apps are not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Firewall and default apps are not working: Few months back my xbox bar was not working. Then I tried to reinstall it through Microsoft Store but I just can't reinstall it. Then after few days Microsoft Store stopped working. It just won't open. I reset it through Settings->Apps but it still won't open. Then I...
  8. Windows Defender Firewall Is Disabled

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Defender Firewall Is Disabled: I tried almost 20 ways to fix this issue.[IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-firewall-is-disabled/282a6540-9c79-4668-90af-e4dd2cc4e9a3
  9. windows firewall will not stay disabled

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    windows firewall will not stay disabled: I allowed my win10 home 64bit to update to 1703 last week. I hesitate to allow updates as MS insists on removing customizations, changes many user settings, and activates many services I don't want running. since allowing the update, windows firewall was turned on, I can...
  10. Firewall Disabled Bug?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Firewall Disabled Bug?: I just updated to the FCU from the AU. There seems to be a firewall notification bug. Settings / System / About indicates that the Firewall is disabled but the Firewall settings in the Control Panel are fine (see below). I've disabled and re-enabled the Firewall but this...