Windows 10: Windows Firewall Not Started and Will Not Start - Error Code 0x6D9

Discus and support Windows Firewall Not Started and Will Not Start - Error Code 0x6D9 in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Shortly after my new laptop upgraded to Win 10 build 1607, I began to receive indications that Windows Firewall was not operational. This is the worst... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by TheRedBaron, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Windows Firewall Not Started and Will Not Start - Error Code 0x6D9

Shortly after my new laptop upgraded to Win 10 build 1607, I began to receive indications that Windows Firewall was not operational. This is the worst of a number of symptoms that started at the same time. This firewall issue, Cortana no longer works, several of the built in accessories no longer work.

When Windows FW failed I began what has turned out to be a hopeless exercise to try to fix it. There are zillions of hits on the web about this issue dating back to Win 7 all described the same way. The long and the short of my issue is error 0x6D9 when starting the FW. I've tried from the services dialog, I've tried from the Security applet in control panel. Nothing solves the problem.

So, I installed ZoneAlarm Extreme Security (which I was going to do anyway). ZA is installed and active so I went about trying to set up RDP and RDP told me it couldn't be setup because Windows Firewall wasn't running.

What is going on? Is there any help out there?

For the record, ZoneAlarm Extreme Security and Malwarebytes AntiMalware V3.0.

If there is an issue with firewall that dates back to Win 7, with the same symptoms and similar fixes (which in my case don't fix it), then we as a user community need to question what the heck Microsoft is doing. Firewall is a key component and it needs to be very robust but clearly there is something going on.

I'll be monitoring this thread daily so feel free to ply me with suggestions. The only one that I don't want to hear about is a re-install of Windows 10 since this isn't an isolated problem as I'm having it on 2 systems so there is no guarantee that it won't happen again.

:)

TheRedBaron, Mar 18, 2017

2. Firewall missing

My firewall gives me error code 0x80070424 when I try to boot it up. If I try to open up Windows firewall with advanced security, it gives me error 0x6D9. If I go into services.msc to try to start the firewall service, it is not there. When I try to
    start MpsSvc through command line, it says that service does not exist. Does anyone know how to fix this?

bsasealteam6, Mar 18, 2017
  3. Paul PG Win User
    Windows 10 firewall won't turn on after a recent automatic update.

Hi, I tried that but had this error message

the windows firewall with advanced security snap in failed to load, restart the windows firewall service error code 0x6D9.

I have tried to restart the firewall but it keeps saying it failed to load.

HELP!

Paul PG, Mar 18, 2017
  4. sml156 Win User

Windows Firewall Not Started and Will Not Start - Error Code 0x6D9

Have you tried Code: sfc /scannow[/quote] command in administrators command prompt.

TenForums has a tutorial about this command written by Brink
    Run SFC Command in Windows 10
    It is recommended to try Option 3 first

sml156, Mar 18, 2017
  5. Most likely Zone Alarm is preventing it, have you tried disabling its firewall first?

TairikuOkami, Mar 18, 2017
  6. I've been down the road suggested by sml156 before installing Zonealarm. (Not being able to start the firewall is why I got ZoneAlarm in the first place.) Not only did sfc /scannow not find or fix anything, DISM failed because the windows firewall service was not started.

The other part of this issue on my laptops is that Cortana and several of the new "modern" apps, particularly calculator, sticky notes, and photo viewer, stopped working at the same time. The modern apps are less of an issue because most of the Win 7 versions can still be installed and substituted.

TheRedBaron, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows Firewall Not Started and Will Not Start - Error Code 0x6D9

1. Windows Firewall Not Started and Will Not Start - Error Code 0x6D9 - Similar Threads - Firewall Started Start

2. Windows Firewall Service is not Starting. Error Code 13

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Firewall Service is not Starting. Error Code 13: Hai,I am using Windows Server 2016 version. My Firewall recently not started working after unnistalling Malware byte Antivirus.Multiple time i restrarted my system, i did SFC Scanning. but the result is still same.The Following Error I am receiving while Starting Windows...
  3. Windows Firewall Service is not Starting. Error Code 13

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Firewall Service is not Starting. Error Code 13: Hai,I am using Windows Server 2016 version. My Firewall recently not started working after unnistalling Malware byte Antivirus.Multiple time i restrarted my system, i did SFC Scanning. but the result is still same.The Following Error I am receiving while Starting Windows...
  4. Windows Firewall Service is not Starting. Error Code 13

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Windows Defender error 0x6D9

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender error 0x6D9: Advanced security snap-in failed to load. I am in Safe mode. HELP! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-error-0x6d9/15f08716-6d66-4e45-a5ae-465224ba46cc
  6. Windows Defender error 0x6D9

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender error 0x6D9: Advanced security snap-in failed to load. I am in Safe mode. HELP! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-error-0x6d9/15f08716-6d66-4e45-a5ae-465224ba46cc
  7. Windows Firewall to start.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Firewall to start.: I got an error whe[ATTACH]re i cannot turn on firewall,Even can install any other antivirus.Tried each and every method available on internet but still it does not work.Tried the troubleshooter and it says Windows firewall is not started.So after all this i reset my PC and it...
  8. Windows 10 Update 2004 caused crashed Windows Firewall, error code 0x6d9

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Update 2004 caused crashed Windows Firewall, error code 0x6d9: I have installed Microsoft Windows 10 May update ver 2004, OS build 19041.388 on Windows Pro and my Windows Firewall crashed, error code 0x6d9. All attempts to reset the firewall failed, including reset of advfirewall via cmd. Currently I am locked out from the internet and...
  9. windows defender and firewall not starting

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    windows defender and firewall not starting: After windows update version 1903 and 1909, i have been facing issues with windows defender and firewall, they do not seem to start and is showing error, i tried to manually start in services.msc but it was of no use, the start option is not even usable.I do not have a third...
  10. Windows Firewall not working Error Code:0x6D9

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Firewall not working Error Code:0x6D9: Hello! I just did a fresh clean install of Windows 10. I was just installing all my programs back and then suddenly I get an error saying Windows Firewall is not working. In detail it says; The Windows Firewall with Advanced Security snap-in failed to load. Restart the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. fix error code: 0x6D9 if firewall of win10

2. is it true that the windows firewall detects an outdate and needs to be down loaded