Windows 10: Windows Firewall wont start. Fonts will not install

Discus and support Windows Firewall wont start. Fonts will not install in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; *Sad My problem is outlined in these two threads and stated better then I can; they also show the same errors im getting with some pictures at these... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by OtherWay1982, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Windows Firewall wont start. Fonts will not install

*Sad My problem is outlined in these two threads and stated better then I can; they also show the same errors im getting with some pictures at these two links .Yet they don't offer a working solution to my problem.

1 Enable Windows 10 firewall to install fonts - 404 Tech Support

2. Unable to install fonts on Windows 10 - Super User

Windows Fire Wall will not Start. Fonts Will Not install. These issues are supposedly related.
    I suspect a hacker , after I used some questionable software.; that is what I believe caused this. But I am unsure.

All I know is I have to get this issue resolved so I can install my fonts and get back to work. I'm losing money because clients want me to design for them, and I can't without getting these fonts installed.

:)

OtherWay1982, Sep 15, 2016
  2. quincym Win User

Issues starting Windows Firewall - error code 5 woes

I'm at my wit's end with this one. All I want to do is install a dang font, but because of some weird Windows 10 terribleness, you cannot install a font without Windows Firewall on. However, I cannot start Windows firewall.

Been scouring the web for a solution and have yet to find one. For some reason, the Windows Firewall service will not start on my machine (throwing the dreaded error code 5). I have tried fixing registry permissions on BFE (which was not starting properly
    prior to the permissions fix but now does) and SharedAccess. Neither registry fix worked for starting the firewall service. Those seem to be the fix for 90% of these issues, but unfortunately I seem to be in the 10%.

Any suggestions on things to try?

quincym, Sep 15, 2016
  3. GTakacs Win User
    Fonts can't be installed although Windows Firewall is on

I have identical problem with identical results. I used to be able to install fonts but as of right now I can't. I have windows Firewall on and I get no error messages but fonts simply don't install. I don't know what firewall has to do with this but it
    seems like a recent update to something on Windows borked the font installation.

GTakacs, Sep 15, 2016
  4. shimshom Win User

Windows Firewall wont start. Fonts will not install

You don't say if you tried any steps to fix it but the 1st thing I would do is right click Start choose Run and type services.msc, scroll down to Windows Firewall and set to auto or at least manual if you're running a 3rd party firewall and if not then set the start to auto as you should leave it running anyway. If the tab where you change it's statues is greyed out go back to Run enter "regedit" (without the quotes) and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MpsSvc and make sure the Start DWORD value in the right pane is set to 2 then restart your computer. Since you mentioned questionable software you should also run a scan with Malwarebytes and I would also consider something like the E-Set online scanner or similar before anything else

shimshom, Sep 15, 2016
  5. The extent of my effort was pressing whatever I could to simply start up the Fire wall service, I also ran Malwarebytes & ( anti ransom-ware ) , Super Anti Spyware , Emsisoft and Windows Defender ; which still runs . I have Windows 10 Home Basic .They removed what they could find, mostly tracking cookies .
    Non of those fixed this problem with the Fire Wall and fonts . I'm not sure what 3rd party fire wall to try . I'm not very computer literate.

I tried Starting related Fire Wall services and security services from the'' Services''
    window ; that I could recognize as something I should press ; without any success. They just remain either grayed out, or will not start from that window either.

I will try the regedit advice you just mentioned.

6. This is a picture of my Regedit, where you suggested I look. I assume you mean to the right, there is a Name called '' Start - REG_DWORD '' ; I then press that to Modify : a value of ''2'' is already present after pressing selecting Modify . Now what do I do ?

Windows Firewall wont start. Fonts will not install [​IMG]

7. Borg 386 Win User
    Have you tried running an SFC to see if it can find/repair possible damage to your OS?

SFC Command - Run in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Option Three: (recommended)

Note If SFC could not fix something, then run the command again to see if it may be able to the next time. Sometimes it may take running the sfc /scannow command up to 3 times with restarting the computer after each time to completely fix everything that it's able to.

If not, then run the Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth command to repair any component store corruption, restart the PC afterwards, and try the sfc /scannow command again.

If still not, then do a system restore using a restore point dated before the bad system file occurred to fix it. You may need to repeat doing a system restore until you find a older restore point that may work.

Borg 386, Sep 16, 2016
  8. Windows Firewall wont start. Fonts will not install

Borg ; I will try that in a few minutes or so ; after I get back from making dinner.

OtherWay1982, Sep 16, 2016
  9. I'm unsure how to implement some of the advice at that link you posted Brog, as its a bit complicated . I opened command prompt and ran sfc /scannow but it did not complete , it stopped at 53 % . I do not know what the DISM /Cleanup-Image is . Will that erase my files on my computer ?

I opened the Restore Point, and tried system restore two times, and all I got was this message.

10. Borg 386 Win User
    You might wish to try the other options listed for a system restore, such as Option 1, restoring when it boots.

System Restore Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

It would be wise to make a back up of personal files in case of unexpected events/erasure.

DISM - Repair Windows 10 Image - Windows 10 Forums

You also have this option:

Reset Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Borg 386, Sep 16, 2016
  11. How to view system restore options when booting ? I forgot which buttons do this .I'm on a HP Beats laptop . The other choices you mentioned sound very foreign to me, I do not know how to do those things.

Note - I installed AVG, and it seems it has options now where the Windows Fire wall should be, but my fire wall is still not working .
    I still cannot install Fonts..

12. Borg 386 Win User
    Doing a refresh will also fix the corrupted files, is the easiest, quicker & probably a good choice since it will reinstall windows & allow you to keep your personal files. If you would lie to try this, it should repair any problems with corrupt files in the OS.

Refresh Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Also, anytime you do a system restore you should disable any AV that is running as this can cause problems. I do not know if you were running a AV at the time of the system restore but that could account for the hanging up. If you wish to attempt a system restore again & have such software running, disable it completely during the restore process.

Borg 386, Sep 16, 2016
  13. shimshom Win User

If you haven't as yet managed to fix it I would follow Borg 386 advice and do a refresh. Will save lots of time and headaches just make sure to back up everything. The 2 value in the registry indicates the Firewall should be active and you should be able to change it's statues from services.msc and it does sound like this would need more then just the usual fix so that refresh is probably the quickest and I've seen people chasing fixes for weeks rather than clean install or refresh that even with needing to reinstall software can be matter of hours instead of weeks

shimshom, Sep 17, 2016
  14. When in the sub menu at start up, I got a system restore going , It did not allow me the first few times. After that,
    I eventually installed windows 10 again from Microsoft with a USB drive option . Seems to be all set.

OtherWay1982, Sep 17, 2016
  15. Borg 386 Win User
    Glad to hear it's sorted. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet & start over.

Suggest you look at this tutorial, this will save you time the next time if major corruption occurs due to infection. Having a system image can be a lifesaver when your OS picks up something devastating. Make the image on a USB or external HDD that is not always connected to the system.

System Image - Create in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

If all is well, please mark the thread as solved.*Wink

Borg 386, Sep 18, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows Firewall wont start. Fonts will not install - Similar Threads - Firewall wont start

2. Japanese Supplemental Fonts wont install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Japanese Supplemental Fonts wont install: Hello,I am unable to add the optional feature Japanese Supplemental FontsI have already done restarts, ensure my Windows is fully updated, etc.I keep getting the error code 0x80080005, no idea why. Please help.My PC:Windows 10 Home EditionVersion 1903Build 18362.1256Thanks....
  3. Japanese Supplemental Fonts wont install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Japanese Supplemental Fonts wont install: Hello,I am unable to add the optional feature Japanese Supplemental FontsI have already done restarts, ensure my Windows is fully updated, etc.I keep getting the error code 0x80080005, no idea why. Please help.My PC:Windows 10 Home EditionVersion 1903Build 18362.1256Thanks....
  4. Service "Windows Defender Firewall" wont start HELP!!!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Service "Windows Defender Firewall" wont start HELP!!!: When i try to start the service "Windows Defender Firewall" it says "Windows could not start the Windows Defender Firewall on Local Computer, For more information on, review the System Event Log. if this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to...
  5. Windows Firewall Disabled / Microsoft Store wont start : FIXED

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Firewall Disabled / Microsoft Store wont start : FIXED: I have been struggling with this issue for a few weeks and it never occurred to me to try Office 365 Repair. This process restored my Windows Firewall Service AND now Microsoft Store correctly runs which prevents the process: WSAPPX from running high CPU constantly. If you...
  6. Windows firewall service wont turn on

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows firewall service wont turn on: So before I knew that stopping the firewall service is an "unsupported configuration" which btw shouldn't be I found a way to stop it. But as of the last windows update, it is impossible to change anything about the firewall service - all the buttons are grayed out. Now I am...
  7. Windows Firewall to start.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Firewall to start.: I got an error whe[ATTACH]re i cannot turn on firewall,Even can install any other antivirus.Tried each and every method available on internet but still it does not work.Tried the troubleshooter and it says Windows firewall is not started.So after all this i reset my PC and it...
  8. Installed fonts wont show up

in Windows 10 Customization
    Installed fonts wont show up: My computer, along with 3 others at my office, have an issue with missing fonts. After Upgrading all the computers to windows 10 there have been issues with a few computers. In microsoft word, if I start a new file, certain fonts will only show up as Arial font (Old...
  9. Windows Firewall wont start from services

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Firewall wont start from services: Hello, I have a problem. When I try to open Windows Firewall from services it shows error message 'Windows could not start the windows defender firewall service on local computer Error 1068: The dependancy service or group failed to start' This problem started with no...
  10. Can't install any new TTF fonts (and it's not because of the firewall)

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't install any new TTF fonts (and it's not because of the firewall): For some reason, I can no longer install TTF fonts on my windows 10 PC. Here is a folder filled with web/ttf fonts that I am trying to work with. Every time I click on a TTF font, a small window appears onscreen, but only for a moment before it vanishes. I gather this...