Windows 10: Windows folders appear on the wrong drive

Discus and support Windows folders appear on the wrong drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all My windows 10 system is installed on C:\ drive. Last week I have done in-place upgrade. I now see that in my root D:\ drive I have two... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by gil, Apr 17, 2016.

1. GIL
    gil Win User

Windows folders appear on the wrong drive

Hi all
    My windows 10 system is installed on C:\ drive.
    Last week I have done in-place upgrade.
    I now see that in my root D:\ drive I have two folders which I cannot access and I also wish to delete.
    1. WindowsApps
    2. WpSystem
    Can someone please help me with this? I wasn't able to get permission using:
    takeown /f D:\WindowsApps /r /d y
    icacls D:\WindowsApps /grant administrators:F /T
    I get:
    D:\WindowsApps: Access is denied.
    Successfully processed 0 files; Failed processing 1 files

I do not have windows phone. And yes, I do have a hidden folder of Windows Apps in C:\Program Files
    How can I delete the ones in D: drive?

Windows folders appear on the wrong drive [​IMG]

:)

2. Unsynced OneDrive Folders

Folders I've chosen not to sync to my computer from One Drive will not appear in File Explorer. Combined with the disappearance of the OneDrive App, the only way to access unsynced OneDrive folders is by opening a browser. Am I doing something wrong?

RyanDeegan, Apr 17, 2016
  3. new drive named local disk(z) is appearing

Thanks!! This answer saved my life! I thought I did something wrong!

GonzaloCardenas, Apr 17, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, I've not experienced those folders being created on D when I've done an in-place upgrade repair.

The easiest way to delete those as you're familiar with the command prompt may be
    - boot from Win 10 installation medium
    - navigate via Advanced Options to a command prompt
    - identify the correct partition, noting the drive letters will differ
    - delete the folder from the command prompt.

Failing that, obtain and use a live boot CD
    - boot you system from it
    - delete the folders

Emco MoveonBoot (free) also is supposed to delete files and folders on boot, but I've had variable success with it

dalchina, Apr 17, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows folders appear on the wrong drive - Similar Threads - folders appear wrong

2. New content appearing in wrong documents folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New content appearing in wrong documents folder: I went into "Settings" in Windows 11 and changed the location of new documents from the C drive to the D drive which has much more space. Since then, I have downloaded a couple of apps and noticed that new folders were created in the documents folder in the C -- and not D --...
  3. New content appearing in wrong documents folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New content appearing in wrong documents folder: I went into "Settings" in Windows 11 and changed the location of new documents from the C drive to the D drive which has much more space. Since then, I have downloaded a couple of apps and noticed that new folders were created in the documents folder in the C -- and not D --...
  4. Random Folders Appearing in my D Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Random Folders Appearing in my D Drive: Hi there, im having trouble with these random folders appearing in my d drive, even after i delete them they reappear, not sure what they are from, scanned for virus's and malware but nothing comes up, this hard drive is mainly used for game storage and other files. windows...
  5. Windows Folders Appearing On Secondary Drive - How To Move?

Windows Folders Appearing On Secondary Drive - How To Move?: Hi all, For the past few months, on my second SSD drive I use for installing games, I have noticed several Windows folders appearing: [ATTACH] Inside the folder called 'Program Files' is a folder called 'ModifiableWindowsApps'. I assume this has something to do with...
  6. Hard drive appears as a folder in This PC

Hard drive appears as a folder in This PC: [ATTACH] My D drive appears as a normal drive, but reappears as a folder in This PC, what can I do to fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-appears-as-a-folder-in-this-pc/8d3b3ca1-786a-4a26-b4df-6c244bc214fe"
  7. Files appeared under folder devices and drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Files appeared under folder devices and drives: There 3 folder with 2 3 GB information under folder (devices and drives) There is no option to delete these files. I have noticed them just today. It wasn't there How to delete?...
  8. Windows files appearing in the wrong places.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows files appearing in the wrong places.: I have a set of files (I'm not 100% sure what they are, I'm just assuming they are Windows related.) that are appearing on my storage SSD. My windows is installed on my 970 pro M.2, but these files keep appearing on my 850 evo for some reason. The 850 was in a previous...
  9. Temp folder keeps appearing on flash drives

Temp folder keeps appearing on flash drives: EVERY time I put a flash drive in my PC, windows installs a temp folder on it full of crap which is usually undeleteable. I can eventually get access to kill it, by removing it and reinstalling it, then quickly deleting it while it's not looking or something. ;) It always...
  10. Random Folders Appearing on the C:\ Drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Random Folders Appearing on the C:\ Drive: I have a few Windows 10 systems with clean installs (not upgraded) whose C:\ drives are filling up with random hex named folders; over 50K of them. From what I have read, this could be related to temporary update folders, but they are not being deleted. The folders are named...