Windows 10: Windows freezes that require hard reset

Discus and support Windows freezes that require hard reset in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I am just going to take you through what happened and what I have done. A week ago I was playing games on steam and just went AFK for the day... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Vykis, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Vykis Win User

Windows freezes that require hard reset

Hello, I am just going to take you through what happened and what I have done.

A week ago I was playing games on steam and just went AFK for the day and when I came back in the evening I tried to launch a game (RUST) and it just didn't load and soon game was not responding, as its beta game I decided to wait a bit, but after a minute or so the whole windows froze, I couldn't move mouse or open task manager so I had to do hard reset, then again I tried to do the same thing but I got same results.
    I have tried to launch other games but they also got in not responding state and windows crashed (I also launched Dishonored which before crashing installed all redist for the game even so the game was installed earlier and I have played it). I scanned my computer with AVG and IObit malware fighter and run most utilities from Advanced System Care and still no effect, checked for windows updates if there were any to get, or if there were any installed recently, but this wasn't the case.
    I did clean windows installation, but then I started getting lots of blue screens and windows would just freeze eventually even if I do nothing after certain time of running. I checked forums and it seems similar problem that people got from anniversary update but as it was long time ago I do not know how could it only affect me now.
    Then when i was talking with friend on Skype to ask if he was experiencing any problems as he has the same laptop as I do, computer froze again but I could still hear him and he could hear me so I checked drivers through device manager manually and for some of them i got updates, the intel HD 4600 driver and some system device drivers. the problem became less frequent after that but it still happened, so I have done another windows reset and the problem seemed to be gone for a day or so (i haven't tried to launch any games because I have limited internet so I cant waste it so much to download them) but then again these issues started appearing again, the computer seems to choke now before crashing like it doesn't have any more resources and blue screens are very often, almost every startup I get a blue screen.
    So I tried to find problem through blue screen code DPC_Watchdog_Violation was the current one so I used fix that I found to change to standard SATA AHCI controller and it seems to work for now, I haven't run any games but I haven't got any freezes or blue screens the whole day, the only concerns I got is when Ii was watching youtube it seemed to start freezing again (choking on resources) the video frames dropped dramatically (was watching full screen) and the whole windows acted weird for around 5 second but it didn't crash.

I still feel as the problem is not solved for me and it might come back, if any of you encountered similar problem or know what could be the cause of this please tell me. I need my computer in working shape for the next week.

:)

Vykis, Oct 21, 2016

2. KB4089848 seems to break computer

Run this update, back to login screen, typed credentials in, spinning display starts, goes for a while and then freezes the computer permanently. Hard reset required and a full reset of the computer required.

Scott Walters (dioadmin), Oct 21, 2016
  3. JRix66 Win User
    Lumia 920 Constantly shutting down

Why is it that the Lumia 920 is shutting down and requires a hard reset to get it to turn back on daily? Tech support says that the phone has frozen and needs to be reset so why is the phone freezing in the first place

JRix66, Oct 21, 2016
  4. Steve C Win User

This is probably a driver conflict. Check again all drivers in Device Manager and let Windows check for updates. Ensure you have dump files enabled in System Properties and use this utility to check your dump file the next time your PC crashes Blue screen of death (STOP error) information in dump files. This may give you a clue about which driver / program is causing problems.

Steve C, Oct 22, 2016
  5. Vykis Win User
    Thank you for reply I got BSOD this morning when booting ant this is what your suggested program shows. All I found on google is that hal.dll is connected to windows xp or boot.ini so that makes no sense, I suppose this file is corrupted so should I change it manually by getting dll from internet or there is another way to fix it? also ntosknl.exe so it point to my RAM?

Windows freezes that require hard reset [​IMG]

Vykis, Oct 22, 2016
  6. Vykis Win User
    Did not experience any problems for few days, have not done anything with hal.dll, seems setting to standard SATA AHCI controller solved my problem. Closing thread.

Vykis, Oct 23, 2016
  7. XweAponX Win User
    was there a "legacy" setting?

XweAponX, Oct 23, 2016
  8. Vykis Win User

By legacy you mean what? sry I am not that good in English. If you mean downgrading SATA driver then yes it was in computer, found it through upgrading by device manager.

Vykis, Oct 23, 2016
  9. XweAponX Win User
    Oh this was a setting in Windows? I was talking about the SATA settings in BIOS, there should be a few different modes for SATA, usually I use one that includes both standard & legacy.

XweAponX, Oct 23, 2016
  10. Vykis Win User
    Well when I searched my BSOD it straight away told me how to solve it, apparently there was problem with Intel 8 series SATA driver so it just recommended to switch to standard driver, idk maybe it is the same as going through BIOS but it worked for me the way i did it. Worth mentioning if i switch back to intel SATA driver I start geting BSOD again, although I had few windows updates but it did not fix it.

Vykis, Oct 23, 2016
  11. XweAponX Win User
    I'd try rolling back those updates then, you can do it right through the Device Manager, choose your SATA drivers, click on the Driver and there should be an option to go back to the previous driver. So this isn't related to BIOS, it sounds like a bad driver update, common with Windows 10.

XweAponX, Oct 24, 2016
  12. Vykis Win User
    Ok,

Some time has passed and issues reappeared again, i tried changing from W10 Pro to W10 Home in hopes that it would have less unnecessary features so less room for problems, i downloaded fresh installation from official website so it would not have any corrupted files and it worked perfectly fine for 3 to 4 days, thou i was barely using it as i was working these days the only problem i encounter was installing latest nvidia drivers 375.xx during installation it crashed without BSOD few times but when i finally installed it it worked just fine, i have installed all drivers from device manager manually and after seeing that i do not encounter more problems I started to install all the software i use and then again blue screen show began.

In addition to that i have YSOD that has appear when i use Youtube or launch a game that i have (revelation online), cant add anything else because did not manage to download any graphically intense programs besides that one yet. I checked error code and it mostly points to intel HD graphics the error is Video_scheduler_internal_error and unlike it says in forums i do not get it on startup but mostly when using graphically intestine apps.

I think i will try to reinstall windows 10 and try it out without updating nor drivers nor windows, if that does not work ill try going back to windows 8.1 as my laptop is designed for it, if i still have problems, i want to open my laptop and check hardware maybe something is wrong but i do not know if it will remove my warranty then, because i still have 1 year on it and do not want to lose it.

P.S watchdog BSOD became very common on startup, mouse often does not work when i satart the computer so i have to plug it into other port, computer often crashes when i shut it down it just stays on black screen for infinite time.

Vykis, Nov 4, 2016
  13. Vykis Win User

Now game does not even launch plus my headphones disconnect and reconnect in the matter of a seconds i can see that in message board.

Vykis, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows freezes that require hard reset - Similar Threads - freezes require hard

2. windows keeps freezing requiring hard reboot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows keeps freezing requiring hard reboot: I've been using Windows since the early 90s so I am not a total n00b but right now I am stumped at the basic 'I think my PC is going to die soon' level. Maybe someone here can tell me if there is something I can do a hardware part to replace or some soft fix to run before I...
  3. windows keeps freezing requiring hard reboot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows keeps freezing requiring hard reboot: I've been using Windows since the early 90s so I am not a total n00b but right now I am stumped at the basic 'I think my PC is going to die soon' level. Maybe someone here can tell me if there is something I can do a hardware part to replace or some soft fix to run before I...
  4. Computer freezes randomly, no sound, hard reset required.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer freezes randomly, no sound, hard reset required.: I am having completely random freezes to my desktop. The screen will freeze in place, sound cuts from speakers, and it requires a hard restart in order to end it. What could be the causes, and how to fix it.PC Specs:i7 4790Asrock H81m HDS 1150Kingston Fury HyperX 16GB...
  5. Computer freezes randomly, no sound, hard reset required.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer freezes randomly, no sound, hard reset required.: I am having completely random freezes to my desktop. The screen will freeze in place, sound cuts from speakers, and it requires a hard restart in order to end it. What could be the causes, and how to fix it.PC Specs:i7 4790Asrock H81m HDS 1150Kingston Fury HyperX 16GB...
  6. Computer freezes randomly, no sound, hard reset required.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Windows 10 Freezes - Requires Hard Shutdown

Windows 10 Freezes - Requires Hard Shutdown: I wake up the computer monitor asleepI go to the open Chrome browser.I try to reload one of the open tabs.I notice I can't click on anything else on the desktop.I close Chrome.I can move the mouse cursor freely, but cannot click anything.I notice the cursor turns to a loading...
  8. Computer Freezing, Hard reset required - Kernel Power 41

Computer Freezing, Hard reset required - Kernel Power 41: My computer consistently freezes while playing video game. When the computer freezes it locks solid leaving the last thing on the screen and the audio glitches out as well sounding like its just playing the last sound extended until I long press the power button. Event Viewer...
  9. Endless BSODs and freeze ups requiring hard resets

Endless BSODs and freeze ups requiring hard resets: Hi there, Recently I've encountered errors with my 6-year-old custom-built rig. At first it was suddenly freezing up, requiring a hard reset to get it to recover. After two weeks or so of this, it then graduated to BSODs, each with different error codes which led me to...
  10. Hard freezing hard reboot required

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hard freezing hard reboot required: Hi there, I recently upgraded my PC to: i7-8700k MSI Tomahawk G.Skill Trident 2x8GB 3200 Ever since I did the upgrade and fresh installed Windows 10 to my SSD, I've been having quite a few problems with this build, My computer sometimes maybe once a day hard freezes to the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows phone freeze restart when i type

2. laptop freezes requiring hard reset

3. windows freeze hard reset fix

4. aspirees 15 laptop hard freezes windows 10