Windows 10: Windows freezing - Explorer?

Discus and support Windows freezing - Explorer? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I just today began having an issue where anywhere between 1 minute and 20 minutes after starting up my computer, the computer will freeze. I will get... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by studioloft, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Windows freezing - Explorer?

I just today began having an issue where anywhere between 1 minute and 20 minutes after starting up my computer, the computer will freeze. I will get the spinning wheel and will not be able to click on anything. No Ctrl+Alt+Del either. I originally thought it was a virus so I rolled back my computer. That did not work, so I then tried Norton's Power Eraser Tool. Nada. THEN last resort I decided to refresh the computer. I kept my files and reinstalled Windows. At first I was feeling optimistic believing it may have been a software issue but no... The spinning wheel came back.

The strange part is I had been using my computer fine this morning, put it to sleep, and this only started when I booted it back up. I was only browsing Youtube during that session, no clicking on sketchy links or anything.

I also tried disabling drivers (the ones that auto-installed) and that did nothing.
    In addition, I have tried unplugging all USBs and HDDs leaving only the one SSD that the OS is installed in plugged into the computer. I unplugged all unnecessary cards such as my audio card and reseated the graphics card.

The only thing that works is starting the computer in Safe Mode.

I have also tried the "netsh winsock reset" and "sfc/scannow" in CMD. No luck.

I am really at a loss... Can anyone help me!? *Smile

:)

studioloft, Feb 28, 2016

2. transfering images-problem

yes i can see them but cann0t copy, there's an error

Freezing---01, Feb 28, 2016
  3. transfering images-problem

not helping.

Windows freezing - Explorer? :(

Freezing---01, Feb 28, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

Windows freezing - Explorer?

Norton has a nasty habit of taking over at the wrong time. You have to run Process Explorer to know what is going on.

bro67, Feb 28, 2016
  5. lmaneke Win User
    Your SSD may be failing. If you have a spare drive, try installing Windows onto the spare drive. With the dots continuing to spin and freezing, that means the SSD is not loading Windows properly into memory.

Worth a shot

lmaneke, Feb 28, 2016
  6. As it turns out this was not the issue. I had been running off of an old SSD from aout 4 years ago (paid $600 for 250gb haha). Anyways I took this advice into consideration and figured it was time to upgrade anyways if I was reinstalling. I purchased a 1TB SSD from bestbuy (sandisk, 500mb/sread 550mb/s write) for $250 and reinstalled on there. The funny part is I was able to install Windows Vista (the OEM disk I had...) followed by windows 8, followed by 8.1, followed by 10, and only had the issue once I hit windows 10. The computer ran just dandy until I upgraded to 10. I think ill need to downgrade...

studioloft, Mar 1, 2016
  7. lmaneke Win User
    Probably incompatible hardware then. *Sad

lmaneke, Mar 1, 2016
  8. bro67 Win User

I am thinking the same thing.

bro67, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows freezing - Explorer? - Similar Threads - freezing Explorer

2. Windows explorer randomly freezes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows explorer randomly freezes: From time to time, windows explorer will stop working, leaving me with the active window barely working, unable to use shortcuts like atl+tab, or altf4.After a while in vegetative state, the computer will reboot.A strong guess is that discord desktop is the culprit but it...
  3. Windows explorer randomly freezes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows explorer randomly freezes: From time to time, windows explorer will stop working, leaving me with the active window barely working, unable to use shortcuts like atl+tab, or altf4.After a while in vegetative state, the computer will reboot.A strong guess is that discord desktop is the culprit but it...
  4. Windows explorer randomly freezes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Edge freezes windows explorer every time it's opened

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Edge freezes windows explorer every time it's opened: Every time I open edge it won't take more than a few minutes before it freezes windows explorer and I have to restart it every single time!I've done everything I disabled the graphic acceleration, I disabled all the bad features, I scanned for malwares but no nothing is...
  6. Edge freezes windows explorer every time it's opened

Edge freezes windows explorer every time it's opened: Every time I open edge it won't take more than a few minutes before it freezes windows explorer and I have to restart it every single time!I've done everything I disabled the graphic acceleration, I disabled all the bad features, I scanned for malwares but no nothing is...
  7. Edge freezes windows explorer every time it's opened

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. "Downloads" pinned to Quick Start freezes Explorer when I download file with long name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Downloads" pinned to Quick Start freezes Explorer when I download file with long name: Hello everybody,When I download a file with a long name and try to access the "Downloads" folder pinned in Quick Access on Explorer, the program freezes. I have to go into the Task Manager and restart it. Then I have to navigate to Downloads from another way and rename that...
  9. "Downloads" pinned to Quick Start freezes Explorer when I download file with long name

"Downloads" pinned to Quick Start freezes Explorer when I download file with long name: Hello everybody,When I download a file with a long name and try to access the "Downloads" folder pinned in Quick Access on Explorer, the program freezes. I have to go into the Task Manager and restart it. Then I have to navigate to Downloads from another way and rename that...
  10. Windows explorer lags and freezes after browsing folders containing 100000+ images

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows explorer lags and freezes after browsing folders containing 100000+ images: Hi,I work as a graphic designer/animator. I have over 1 million images/animation frames stored on my computer, average image size is around 5 mb but it can range from tiny pictures below 1mb and bigger images like 100mb.I am using windows 10, fully updated, ran complete virus...