Windows 10: Windows GPS location completely wrong, grabbing my previous address?

Discus and support Windows GPS location completely wrong, grabbing my previous address? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey guys, I'm having the strangest issue I've ever encountered with Windows, or any piece of technology. I'm very tech savvy but am completely stuck... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mixolyd, Sep 1, 2016.

1. mixolyd Win User

Windows GPS location completely wrong, grabbing my previous address?

Hey guys,

I'm having the strangest issue I've ever encountered with Windows, or any piece of technology. I'm very tech savvy but am completely stuck with this and am thinking of doing a format and fresh install. Before I do that, anyone have any idea what is happening?

I have a brand new computer which I just built here in Colorado. I just moved here from Nashville a month ago and brought my older desktop with me, also running Windows 10 (no issues on that desktop at all). The new computer is automatically detecting Central time instead of Mountain time, so I went into Windows Maps to see what location the GPS is grabbing and it points to exactly where my old apartment is in Nashville! So strange! Weather app also thinks I'm in Nashville. If I go to Google Chrome and use GPS location in Google Maps, it finds my correct location. If I use Edge to do the same thing in Google Maps, it goes to Nashville. So Chrome is grabbing the correct GPS but for some reason Windows and MS apps are not. I have NO idea how my old address is remotely connected to the new computer. I built it here in Colorado. It is not signed into a MS account, rather a local admin account. The only relationship is that both computers are on the same local network, but my old computer that was actually in Nashville doesn't have this problem and correctly gets the GPS location.

I tried toggling location/location service on and off, I enabled General location. I have Default location set to my city in Colorado. I tried clearing Location history. I also tried connecting to my phone's hotspot which didn't change anything.

Anyone have any idea what's going on? Is my new computer haunted? lol

:)

mixolyd, Sep 1, 2016

2. Geolocation not working as it should in IE

I have the Lumia 1520. I so very much want to like this phone, but the problem is if I am running IE and access a geolocation website, it doesn't update the location of where I am. It defaults to some place in the city. My Windows 7, iPhones, iPad all work
    just fine. Even when adding code to force update the GPS location it doesn't grab a new one, only the default one at startup. However, if I run a third-party app such as "Here," it will grab the location and when I press refresh in IE, it grabs the new location
    the phone assigned to it.

This is 100% a deal breaker for me as I develop websites using browser based mapping. Any suggestions?

NickHemphill, Sep 1, 2016
  3. gps location point is wrong

I buy new Lumia 950xl and transfer my account to new phone.

But today i try use GPS for location. But GPS show wrong location point on Windows phone!!! It show pont about 400 or 500 meters to north from my actual location. Please help to find solution!

МитрофановАлексей, Sep 1, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

Samuria, Sep 1, 2016
  5. mixolyd Win User
    Thanks for the tip. Did they change the location of that setting? I have latest update and I'm not seeing Find My Device in Update & Security settings

Hmm that's weird. My laptop has the setting but neither desktops have it.

mixolyd, Sep 1, 2016
  6. bookfox Win User
    bookfox, Sep 1, 2016
  7. pbcopter Win User
    What GPS hardware do you have in your computer? Non GPS equipped hardware usually gets the location from the ISP server location.

pbcopter, Sep 1, 2016
  8. mixolyd Win User

mixolyd, Sep 1, 2016
  9. mixolyd Win User
    I don't have any GPS hardware. My IP is a Colorado IP. Even when I connect the computer to my phone's hotspot (obviously different IP), it points to the same exact location (my old apartment).

I guess I'll just format tomorrow. :/ So odd

mixolyd, Sep 1, 2016
  10. pbcopter Win User
    Without GPS hardware, your computer can only know its location based on the connected server.
    Even though the ISP is located in Colorado, the "connected to" server could be anywhere and actually change periodically.
    I am in Florida and the system sees me located in Kansas, Illinois, and Georgia at various times since that is where the server I am connected to is located.
    This site can tell you where the system thinks you are, based on your public IP address.

IP Address Locator - Where is this IP Address?

pbcopter, Sep 1, 2016
  11. mixolyd Win User
    Cmon this doesn't explain anything *Tongue It's just one computer that's having the issue. Other computers also on Windows 10 with the same public IP are reporting the correct location. And why is it reporting the exact location as my old apartment halfway across the country? Very strange.

Formatting and reinstalling windows fixed it. Oh well

mixolyd, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows GPS location completely wrong, grabbing my previous address? - Similar Threads - GPS location completely

2. My Location wrong?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Location wrong?: Location 150 KM away https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-location-wrong/83ba9836-7263-4b1d-b1f1-242db70fa2d8
  3. My Location wrong?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Location wrong?: Location 150 KM away https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-location-wrong/83ba9836-7263-4b1d-b1f1-242db70fa2d8
  4. All my applications opens in wrong monitor and doesn't remember the previous location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All my applications opens in wrong monitor and doesn't remember the previous location: I am using multiple monitors. Whenever I open an app it use to open in the location and the monitor that it was previously used on. But, after the recent windows update, all the application windows will open on the monitor that I designated as the main display. This also goes...
  5. Computer location is completely wrong

in Windows 10 Customization
    Computer location is completely wrong: My work laptop Windows 10 is reporting via maps that it is located in rural India. All other devices on my network correctly report my location in Australia. The laptop location change has caused my computer timezone to change, and my clock therefore to be out. I don't have...
  6. Windows 10 GPS Location Issue

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 GPS Location Issue: I moved from my old address in the US over a year and a half ago, yet every time I run location services on an app, or in a browser including Chrome, Edge, or Firefox it populates my Memphis, TN address. I currently live in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. I have tried everything,...
  7. Is there a way to set GPS location manually?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to set GPS location manually?: I googled it and the only thing I found was the FakeGPS Sensor Driver. I followed their instructions but it didn't work. btw I'm not looking for VPNs submitted by /u/Kageyama_Ritsu [link] [comments]...
  8. IP address location wrong country

in Windows 10 Customization
    IP address location wrong country: My browser shows that I'm in Canada and reroutes all my sites through Canada even though I'm in Michigan. My settings in Chrome show I'm in the US. Despite that, all my sites, such as AOL and Amazon, locate me in Canada. It also registers I'm in Canada on other browsers,...
  9. My location is wrong.

in Cortana
    My location is wrong.: Why is my weather on Bing and Windows saying I'm in Quantico, Virginia? I live in Western PA and it's annoying. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-location-is-wrong/75ee9144-aa2e-46aa-bd80-ba11dda0ea4a"
  10. Windows 10 system grabbing incorrect IP address

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 system grabbing incorrect IP address: added 2 new Windows 10 computers to my network and one works fine but the other has pulled an IP address that is not being handed out by my router. I can get on the internet ok but cant connect to my printer as it is address is 192.168.1.11 and the computer has an IP address...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows geolocation completely wrong