Windows 10: windows hello and RDP: mutually exclusive?

Discus and support windows hello and RDP: mutually exclusive? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have tried to connect with RDP between 4 computers. A laptop, a desktop (windows hello via facial recognition), a kangaroo mini PC (Window hello via... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by armbrust11, Nov 13, 2016.

1. windows hello and RDP: mutually exclusive?

I have tried to connect with RDP between 4 computers. A laptop, a desktop (windows hello via facial recognition), a kangaroo mini PC (Window hello via fingerprint), and the intel NUC i'm using as a HTPC.

They all use Windows 10 EDU edition so remote desktop is an included feature, but try as I might any attempt to connect into the hello-enabled computers fails with an error about my password possibly being expired. Now, for convenience all of them are also connected to my microsoft account so its not really possible for some of them to have a password issue and some of them to be fine.

I feel like I've ruled out any other possible factor due to the variety of configurations but I was hoping the community could verify this bug is what I think it is. I've reported this in the feedback app but it so far appears to be ignored.

:)

armbrust11, Nov 13, 2016

2. Prevent Forced Log-Off on Windows 10 when I end RDP session

Hello.

I have an old Laptop which I use to download files from my super slow internet and act as a NAS on the local LAN with an external hard disk. It has been running Windows 7 for years. The main method I use to access it is via RDP (Locally or over the internet).
    Whenever I would disconnect an RDP session, the user would remain logged on, with all the apps started in the RDP session continuing to run.

I upgraded to Windows 10 today. The RDP behaviour seems to have changed.

Whenever I disconnect the RDP session, the user would be logged off and all apps started by me killed. Whenever I login again (either locally or via RDP), a brand new session would start.

1. This happens immediately after I disconnect the RDP session

2. I have tried setting the idle timeout in Group Policy to never, doesn't help.

Is there any way to override this in Windows 10?

*Edit - I tried Windows 8.1 and the same behaviour exists there, too.

Ronit Bhattacharjee, Nov 13, 2016
  3. Marzenna Win User
    Windows 10 Home (KW9-00265) - RDP server

Hello,

Thanks for your fast reply.

How can I find which MS Windows licenses support RDP server?

Marzenna, Nov 13, 2016
  4. EdTittel Win User

windows hello and RDP: mutually exclusive?

Errr... I can offer a perhaps unwelcome counterexample. I use mostly win10 Pro clients on my LAN, but three of them support Windows Hello (2 Lenovo with old-style "slit" fingerprint readers, and a Surface Pro 3 with the new-style "touch" fingerprint reader on the type cover). I can RDP between them, and also from my other PCs, both coming and going. Some of them use Microsoft accounts, others use local accounts only, all work. Methinks that means it's either (a) something unique to your environment, if it is Hello related, or (b) not Hello related. Occam's Razor says: I vote for B!
    There is a well known issue, however, that you MUST create a PIN login on devices for Windows Hello to work. If you haven't done that, why there's your answer!
    HTH,
    --Ed--

PS: Now I have to laugh out loud (LOL) because the very next thread indicates that networking problems often manifest when using a PIN to login instead of a password, and that changing to (or using, rather) a password to login fixes those problems. If your reaction to my PIN item was "You bonehead! I'm using a PIN already." then please try logging in with a password instead. Windows never, ever ceases to amaze me!

EdTittel, Nov 14, 2016
Thema:

windows hello and RDP: mutually exclusive?

1. windows hello and RDP: mutually exclusive? - Similar Threads - hello RDP mutually

2. Disable Windows Hello for RDP remote credentials prompt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable Windows Hello for RDP remote credentials prompt: My organization recently implemented Windows Hello for Business. I now use WHfB to log into my local machine. When I use RDP to connect to a remote server, it prompts me for Windows Hello credentials PIN, Security Key, etc., but I do NOT want this, since it doesn't work on...
  3. RDP defaulting to Windows Hello PIN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    RDP defaulting to Windows Hello PIN: I'm working on a Win11 Enterprise device which is set up with WHB PIN login.When I RDP to a Windows Server device on our network, it always defaults to asking me for a PIN and PIN logon is not supported across our network due to obvious safety reasons.Is there a way to make...
  4. RDP defaulting to Windows Hello PIN

RDP defaulting to Windows Hello PIN: I'm working on a Win11 Enterprise device which is set up with WHB PIN login.When I RDP to a Windows Server device on our network, it always defaults to asking me for a PIN and PIN logon is not supported across our network due to obvious safety reasons.Is there a way to make...
  5. Recommended Exclusions of UWF for Windows Hello Fingerprint AUTH to work?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Recommended Exclusions of UWF for Windows Hello Fingerprint AUTH to work?: Hi, SupportI try to setup Windows Hello Fingerprint AUTH on a Win10 with UWF enabled.Where is the Fingerprint data is stored and what is the recommended exclusions for Fingerprint AUTH to work with...
  6. Recommended Exclusions of UWF for Windows Hello Fingerprint AUTH to work?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recommended Exclusions of UWF for Windows Hello Fingerprint AUTH to work?: Hi, SupportI try to setup Windows Hello Fingerprint AUTH on a Win10 with UWF enabled.Where is the Fingerprint data is stored and what is the recommended exclusions for Fingerprint AUTH to work with...
  7. Recommended Exclusions of UWF for Windows Hello Fingerprint AUTH to work?

8. Why is COMPMGNT.msc and Settings > Accounts mutually exclusive??!!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why is COMPMGNT.msc and Settings > Accounts mutually exclusive??!!: New install of Win 10 Pro 20H2 + all the updates. I created a 2nd local account (let's call it "Fred") using the convoluted new UI: Start > Settings > Accounts > Family & other users > "Add someone else to this PC" > "I don't have this person's sign-in information" > "Add a...
  9. RDP Passwordless with windows hello

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    RDP Passwordless with windows hello: Hello. I am trying to RDP from my PC to my laptop. they are both connected to my Microsoft account. When I try to RDP to my laptop it will connect using my password, it will start a session. But I use windows password less. it is disabled. I only can login using...
  10. Is it possible to have mutually exclusive checkboxes in Excel in one form?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is it possible to have mutually exclusive checkboxes in Excel in one form?: Only one checkbox should be checked here. Immediately after checking one checkbox, the others should be empty. With the Command-Button it works of course. [ATTACH]...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. rdp with windows hello

2. use windows hello pin over rdp