Windows 10: Windows ICD Hard Drive Partitioning

Discus and support Windows ICD Hard Drive Partitioning in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have created my Windows ICD Build that I am deploying and it works, but I have one thing I need to accomplish. I want to partition the Hard Drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by PMCmikem, Feb 8, 2017.

1. PMCmikem Win User

Windows ICD Hard Drive Partitioning

I have created my Windows ICD Build that I am deploying and it works, but I have one thing I need to accomplish. I want to partition the Hard Drive into a O/S partition C: & Data Partition Z:
    My initial thought was to boot the target computer with a WindowPE flash Drive and use Diskpart to partition the hard drive prior to running my Windows ICD Flash Drive build installer.
    Currently the Window ICD Installer completely wipes the hard drive and installs the O/S with my Customization's (completely unattended). What I want is for the installer to leave the Data Partition (Z*Smile untouched. There will be files within the Z: partition i need to stay if or when we need to rebuild the computer using the Windows ICD installer. Is there a way to make my Windows ICD build just install to the c partition and not overwrite the z: partition? I need this partition to remain after every rebuild

:)

PMCmikem, Feb 8, 2017

2. Bootmgr is missing message or black screen with blinking cursor or Your PC/Device needs to be repaired (Error code: 0xc0000098) or error code: 0xc0000102

If Windows loads with the second hard drive disconnected and fails to load with it connected, then check to see if there is a "System" partition on the 2nd drive. If there is then delete the System partition on the 2nd hard drive.

Only the Windows drive (1st hard drive) should have a 'System' partition as the contents of this partition tells the computer where the C:\Windows partition is located.

J W Stuart, Feb 8, 2017
  3. Andre Da Costa, Feb 8, 2017
  4. RolandJS Win User

If a solution is not found, I recommend making a full image of that data partition onto external media using any one of several excellent backup/restore programs. Then after the rebuild, partition the hard-drive as to what you want for C and Z, restore that image onto Z.

RolandJS, Feb 8, 2017
  5. PMCmikem Win User
    The only problem is that I want to keep the data in Z current at the time of rebuild. If I image the z partition it will only restore the image that was taken and not the current data in the partition.

PMCmikem, Feb 8, 2017
  6. DavidY Win User
    I read somewhere that the option to create Production Media (as opposed to Clean) gives more options to add test scripts so maybe other scripts could be added in that option? I really don't know though.

This page also suggests you can save your image as a FFU file (I never got that to work but haven't tried since ADK 1511) and then deploy with a DISM command, which presumably gives more control if you change some of the DISM parameters(?) But it's not as user friendly as inserting a bootable USB stick and letting it run.
    Lab 1: Customize and install Windows using the Windows Imaging and Configuration Designer (ICD)
    Where G:\MyFFUImage.ffu is the file location of the FFU file. [/quote]

DavidY, Feb 8, 2017
  7. RolandJS Win User
    Correct, you would have to ensure you made a full image of Z just before you did a rebuild. Actually, that backup would be one more fail-safe if anything went wrong doing it any other way *Smile

RolandJS, Feb 8, 2017
  8. PMCmikem Win User

These computers will be going to a customer site, where they will not be performing any backups and we wont have access to do either. We will provide them with the USB Installer Flash Drive create by us with the Windows ICD. Currently this install wipes the entire hard drive and silently install everything back, which is my basic problem. I just tried running WindowsPE to partition the Hard Drive into the partitions before using the USB Installer. I create the 2 partitions, but the Windows ICD flash Install still overwrites the entire disk and I lose my z partition. Maybe there just isn't a way to do this through Windows ICD. I am going to submit a support ticket through Microsoft to see what they provide.

PMCmikem, Feb 9, 2017
  9. DavidY Win User
    I'll be interested to see what they come back with.

DavidY, Feb 9, 2017
  10. PMCmikem Win User
    They created a case, now I am waiting for a contact. I will update here if/when I get some help.

PMCmikem, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows ICD Hard Drive Partitioning - Similar Threads - ICD Hard Drive

2. Partitioning a Hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Partitioning a Hard drive: Hi, I recently installed a new HDD and was hoping to create a partition in order to keep my programs separated for organisation reasons. If anybody knows how to create a hard drive partition in windows 11 then I would appreciate the help a lot thanks. x...
  3. Hard Drive partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard Drive partition: I have preloaded windows on my new laptop. How to partition my 1TB hard disk without losing my data? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-partition/b262ef77-82ee-4640-b5ed-34be8176ede0
  4. Partitioning Hard drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Partitioning Hard drive: My hard disk performance is reduced drastically. Will partion help to increase performance. My pc is old and so hard disk. I only use it to store video files and other data....
  5. Hard drive partitions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard drive partitions: I cloned my 1TB hard drive to my 4TB hard drive and there are 2 unallocated sotrage I can allocate one but I can't do anything with the other they are at C: 930.94GB G: 1116.49GB leaving me with 1678.02GB that I can't allocate or merge with any of the other 2 or merge all 3...
  6. Hard Drive Partitioning

Hard Drive Partitioning: Good day Team. I have a system that came with 16GB, and 256 SSD. WINDOWS 10 PRO VERSION: 1909 OS BUILD: 18363.815 MODEL: LENOVO THINKPAD T450 Please how do I PARTITION the hard drive? Thank you....
  7. Hard Drive Partition

Hard Drive Partition: I have a hard drive from an old laptop that I would like to create a virtual machine for on my current laptop. What would be the best process to partition the drive on my Windows 10 to do this?...
  8. Windows Partitions on Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows Partitions on Hard Drive: Can someone tell me what partitions I should have on my hard drive after I upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows Home Premium Build 10586. I have some new small partitions and I don't know if they belong to the OS or they got allocated from another source. 32507
  9. partitioning hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    partitioning hard drive: hi all this is a question about GPT UEFI and LEGACY partitions if I install in legacy mode on a 1 TB drive with no partitions will my laptop run ok I dont understand why GPT gives 4 partitions and I dont understand UEFI please explain all 3 options. many thanks to all that...
  10. partitioning hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    partitioning hard drive: While I had windows XP I partitioned my hard drive and had ubuntu running side-by-side with windows. When I tried that with windows Vista ubuntu wiped out everything and took over the whole drive. How can I partition my hard drive and install ubuntu without losing win 10?...