Windows 10: Windows Image Creation

Discus and support Windows Image Creation in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hello Boys and Girls I would really like to know what is wrong with the built in windows 10 back up image software. I have tested this windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Bazz, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Bazz Win User

Windows Image Creation

Hello Boys and Girls

I would really like to know what is wrong with the built in windows 10 back up image software.

I have tested this windows software without problems, it does what it says on the tin.

So why does everyone on this forum suggest to use the same free program to do the same job that is already built in to windows.

:)

2. Image creation in Windows 10

Microsoft Security Scanner has been run. No issues detected. Still cannot create an image.

This PC originally had Windows 8 installed. This then subsequently updated to Windows 8.1 before being updated to Windows 10. As my first post above shows the disc partitioning as shown via Administrative Tools/Computer Management is, in order, as follows:-

1. System Reserved

350 MB NTFS

Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition)

2. Windows 10 Home (CWindows Image Creation :)

930 .68 GB NTFS

Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)

3. [Unnamed]

503 MB

Healthy (Recovery Partition)

Obviously I'm trying to make an image of this. I assume this is the partitioning that existed in Windows 8 and 8.1 and is unchanged in the upgrade to Windows 10. Please confirm.

Do I need all these partitions ?? What is the function of the "System Reserved" ?? Can it be deleted ??. I'm assuming the "unnamed" partition is of no consequence and can be deleted. Please confirm

Is it possible to end up with one single, resized partition that is in effect partition 2 above "Windows 10 Home" ??

majestic100, Aug 17, 2015
  3. Ratandeep Win User
    Image creation in Windows 10

Hello,

Thank you for responding.

I am sorry for late reply.

I appreciate your concern.

I would suggest you to perform clean boot and check the issue.

Refer this article:

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

(Also holds good for Windows 10)

Clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program.

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps from section “How to reset the computer to start as usual after clean boot troubleshooting” to reset the computer to start as usual.

Please keep us informed.

Thank you

Ratandeep, Aug 17, 2015
  4. Boozad Win User

Windows Image Creation

Yes Windows System Image works fine System Image - Create in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

But people do often prefer third party apps, Macrium for instance offers a lot of flexibility with its backups and cloning options. Same reason people use third party AVs instead of Defender, choice. I'm not sure why you're so hung up on this.

Boozad, Aug 17, 2015
  5. DJG
    DJG Win User
    I've been using Paragon Hard Disk Manager (not free) for many years and it's never failed. It's quick with many options and useful features, as well as excellent support. I have a half dozen Win 10 images since the first upgrade - they've been used several times to restore while trying some hacks and tweaks *Smile.

6. NavyLCDR New Member
    I prefer Macrium Reflect Free just because I know how it works, I know how the rescue USB works and I don't want to have to discover how built in Windows backup/restore works Windows Image Creation :)

NavyLCDR, Aug 17, 2015
  7. ramram55 Win User
    Well said, Macrium is the best one to back up and I recommend it.

ramram55, Aug 17, 2015
  8. DJG
    DJG Win User

Windows Image Creation

Best free *Smile

9. I've been trying out the AOMEI BackUpper Standard and I did a restore from a windows 10 backup on a laptop with no issues. It's also a good choice.

GamerwGlasses, Aug 17, 2015
  10. Bazz Win User
    Thanks I'm gonna check out Macrium Reflect Free.

11. DavidY Win User
    One reason I don't use System Image any more is that Microsoft blow hot and cold on whether they'll include and support Backup software in Windows.

I used Windows XP's built-in Backup (which was pretty good, as long as you could create and use the recovery diskette to boot from in case of serious failure) for many years. But could I read my backup files when I upgraded to Windows 8...? Nope, no support for the format.

Windows 8 had the Windows 7-style Backup and Restore, but it disappeared in Windows 8.1 (and System Image became harder to find too).

Now Windows 7-style Backup and Restore is back again in Windows 10, but is it there permanently, or will it disappear again...?

DavidY, Aug 18, 2015
  12. Gary Win User
    I use Macrium and it will restore my system in less than 2 minutes. The build in MS tool takes quite a long time.

13. DJG
    DJG Win User

Windows Image Creation

My trial restore took about 9 minutes - the compressed image was about 40GB. Still very quick. I found Paragon Hard Disk Manager took about 20% longer to make the image and about 20% less to do the restore than Reflect. Both work very well.

14. Pendaws Win User
    I have been using Macrium for a while now and have always found it valuable. I will be making a backup of this
    install of Win 10 when I have finished making sure it is ok and then save it to another drive where I have my
    images of Vista, Win 7, Server 2012. Great programme and would suggest to anyone. *Smile

Pendaws, Aug 19, 2015
  15. vram Win User
    Something of note when comparing Macrium Free to the Built in imaging tool is that Macrium has the option of verifying the image and Windows apparently want you to just trust it.. Macrium's interface is easy to understand and has more options available in case you want to clone SSD from HDD, etc. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you cannot restore an image made with the Windows tool to a HDD drive of smaller size. Like if you move from a 1TB HDD to a 500GB SSD.

Thema:

Windows Image Creation

1. Windows Image Creation - Similar Threads - Image Creation

2. Image Creation - Edge Copilot/Windows Copilot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Image Creation - Edge Copilot/Windows Copilot: YOUR created images, YOUR ideas, YOUR imagination via Copilot Designer... Just simply open Copilot and write or say, "Create an image of..." OR "Create a photo of..."That's it That's all there is to it Try it for yourselfAn example:Cheers,Drew...
  3. Image Creation - Edge Copilot/Windows Copilot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Image Creation - Edge Copilot/Windows Copilot: YOUR created images, YOUR ideas, YOUR imagination via Copilot Designer... Just simply open Copilot and write or say, "Create an image of..." OR "Create a photo of..."That's it That's all there is to it Try it for yourselfAn example:Cheers,Drew...
  4. System Image Creation Failure Windows11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Image Creation Failure Windows11: While creating a system image on an external drive, using Backup and Restore Windows 7 in Control Panel, I received the following message at the end of the process: "There was a failure while compacting the virtual hard disk on the backup location 0x80780151 The I/O operation...
  5. System Image Creation Failure Windows11

System Image Creation Failure Windows11: While creating a system image on an external drive, using Backup and Restore Windows 7 in Control Panel, I received the following message at the end of the process: "There was a failure while compacting the virtual hard disk on the backup location 0x80780151 The I/O operation...
  6. The image creation feature that comes with Windows 11 cannot be restored

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The image creation feature that comes with Windows 11 cannot be restored: The source image is Win11 22H2 build 23526.1000, I tried to mount a blank VMware virtual machine after creating the system image, there is no system installed on it, using the configuration of Windows 11. Enter the Windwos RE recovery environment through the U disk, the...
  7. The image creation feature that comes with Windows 11 cannot be restored

The image creation feature that comes with Windows 11 cannot be restored: The source image is Win11 22H2 build 23526.1000, I tried to mount a blank VMware virtual machine after creating the system image, there is no system installed on it, using the configuration of Windows 11. Enter the Windwos RE recovery environment through the U disk, the...
  8. I could make a windows 10 ISO image with Media Creation tool but I don't have a product...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I could make a windows 10 ISO image with Media Creation tool but I don't have a product...: I have a virus on my laptop. My anti-virus can't stop it. I downloaded 'media creation tool' on another PC. It gives me several options:1. to make a windows 10 ISO image with it and then copy that to a flash drive, hopefully to reinstall it from the flash drive I think...
  9. I could make a windows 10 ISO image with Media Creation tool but I don't have a product...

I could make a windows 10 ISO image with Media Creation tool but I don't have a product...: I have a virus on my laptop. My anti-virus can't stop it. I downloaded 'media creation tool' on another PC. It gives me several options:1. to make a windows 10 ISO image with it and then copy that to a flash drive, hopefully to reinstall it from the flash drive I think...
  10. I could make a windows 10 ISO image with Media Creation tool but I don't have a product...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation