Windows 10: Windows intermittently failing to boot

Discus and support Windows intermittently failing to boot in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have an issue with a recent build whereby the system boots straight into UEFI and the SSD boot drive doesn't show up under boot options. It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DX7, Mar 20, 2018.

1. DX7
    DX7 Win User

Windows intermittently failing to boot

I have an issue with a recent build whereby the system boots straight into UEFI and the SSD boot drive doesn't show up under boot options.

It happens intermittently (roughly every 2 or 3 weeks) and in the beginning a simple reboot would solve it.

Recently though, once it begins, rebooting no longer temporarily solves the issue.

I've tried a new SATA cable and using a different socket, so thought there must be an issue with the drive. The drive will show up however, if I connect it to a different computer using a drive dock.

If I use the Windows 10 installation flash drive I'm given the option to "Continue to Windows" from the system repair menu. After starting Windows via the flash drive the boot drive functions as normal for another few weeks.

Is this likely to be an issue with the SSD or could something else be going on?

Crucial MX500 250GB SATA
    Asus Prime B 250M-A
    Windows 10

Thanks

:)

2. Windows 10 fails to load

Windows 10 fails to boot on two computers after most recent upgrades. One was still on warranty and was sent back to manufacturers service depot last Thursday with more than $110 spent on two way courier. Latest failure was yesterday morning after second
    computer started working intermittently, than completely failed. Thought it was a coincidence until I read this forum and other online comments. Another poor Microwave product?

Don Leaman, Mar 20, 2018
  3. Octorant Win User
    NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM error repair Windows 10.

Since the ?mid-November 2017? update, my desktop system intermittently goes to black screen with filesystem error. I ran chkdsk overnight after reboot. Now it fails to boot. Initially I got an 'unmountable boot volume' error. I created a USB media bootable.
    I ran repair, but it says it is unable to repair. System reboot now fails with 'stopcode: NTFS filesystem'. Repair does nothing, BIOS set to default values.

Is this disk (1TB WD, 1.5 years old) now trashed?

Octorant, Mar 20, 2018
  4. EdTittel Win User

Gosh! That sounds vexing. You should visit the Crucial site and grab their Storage Executive software if you don't already have a copy. Among other things, this tool will "monitor your SSD's operating temperature and overall health" (including SMART data, which is exactly what you need to figure out if the SSD is in trouble, or getting ready to fail).
    Otherwise, you can also use general purpose tools like CrystalDiskInfo (Std Edition) or HDSentinel to get the same kind of info about your disk. Do see if you can use one of these things to check the health of your SSD. It certainly sounds like something may be up.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Mar 20, 2018
  5. DX7
    DX7 Win User
    Thanks Ed, I'll give that a go and see if it turns up anything.

6. EdTittel Win User
    Hope the news you get isn't too bad (or expensive). The encouraging news is that if you must replace your SSD, you can pick up a 256 GB for between $65 and $145 these days. So it shouldn't sting too badly if you must do this, and you may even get a faster drive in the bargain.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Mar 20, 2018
  7. DX7
    DX7 Win User
    Storage Executive shows the drive as being in good health however, there was a Firmware update available so fingers crossed that solves it.

The only errors in S.M.A.R.T were 5 Ultra-DMA CRC errors. I think, given my limited knowledge and quick googling, isn't a high enough error count to be worried about.

There is a performance enhancement suggestion in Storage Executive to disable 8.3 Filename Creation which I'll try if the Firmware update hasn't fixed it.

Anyway, Thank you for help.

8. EdTittel Win User

You're welcome. My gut feel is that if your planned repairs don't work out, you should try an in-place upgrade repair install next. There's a TenForums tutorial on that available at: Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-Place Upgrade.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows intermittently failing to boot - Similar Threads - intermittently failing boot

2. Windows 10 - intermittent boot issue

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 - intermittent boot issue: Hi,I have been having the following issue on boot up of Windows over the past number of weeks. Firstly the hardware in question is:I5 9600kfasrock b365-hdv 16gb ram RTX 2060 750W PSUWindows 10 Pro 21H2I have repair installed and fresh installed the machine and the problem...
  3. Windows 10 - intermittent boot issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 - intermittent boot issue: Hi,I have been having the following issue on boot up of Windows over the past number of weeks. Firstly the hardware in question is:I5 9600kfasrock b365-hdv 16gb ram RTX 2060 750W PSUWindows 10 Pro 21H2I have repair installed and fresh installed the machine and the problem...
  4. Windows 10 - intermittent boot issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Microsoft 5050 keyboard fails intermittently

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft 5050 keyboard fails intermittently: Hi, I have a Microsoft Comfort 5050 wireless keyboard, which I used with a laptop running Windows 10 Pro. Every once in a while, the keyboard starts dropping characters, i.e., I'll type and only some of the characters will show up on the screen. Unplugging the wireless USB...
  6. monitor(s) intermittently failing to activate on cold boot up

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    monitor(s) intermittently failing to activate on cold boot up: I’ve started encountering a problem with my desktop PC running windows 10. I have 2 monitors fed by a GeForce GTX 670 on a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H motherboard with an Intel I 7 3770K chip. Recently the monitors have failed to display anything when the PC is switched on – not...
  7. monitor(s) intermittently failing to activate on cold boot up

in Windows 10 Support
    monitor(s) intermittently failing to activate on cold boot up: I’ve started encountering a problem with my desktop PC running windows 10. I have 2 monitors fed by a GeForce GTX 670 on a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H motherboard with an Intel I 7 3770K chip. Recently the monitors have failed to display anything when the PC is switched on – not...
  8. Windows 10 intermittently fails to link with website

in Browsers and Email
    Windows 10 intermittently fails to link with website: Using Windows 10, 3 browsers Fx, Edge and Chrome will not open links intermittently, possibly 1 third of the time. An empty browser window appears with an empty address slot. However, selecting the link “Here” (for example), and dragging the word "Here" or even an entire...
  9. Intermittent boot problems

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Intermittent boot problems: Windows 10 Pro desktop. Runs fine when it boots. Will run for days with no problems, recovers fine from sleep. However, sometimes (not always) after being shut down for a day it will not boot. Hangs with blue windows icon and spinning dots. I have imaged the SSD and cloned...
  10. Intermittent Slow Boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Intermittent Slow Boot: Hi Hope someone can help I have this intermittent problem it happens about every third time I boot up I have a Asus Z97A motherboard, a Samsung 850 pro SSD C: drive, a WD 1 TB black D: drive and a WD 2 TB E: drive I just got done doing a reinstall. When it fails it stops...