Windows 10: Windows is HIDING network usage from me

Discus and support Windows is HIDING network usage from me in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When I notice my internet is abnormally slow the first thing I do is check the Performance tab in Task Manger to see the network usage. When I see the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by yogalD, Sep 13, 2016.

1. yogalD Win User

Windows is HIDING network usage from me

When I notice my internet is abnormally slow the first thing I do is check the Performance tab in Task Manger to see the network usage. When I see the high network usage I know Windows Update is using all my bandwidth, and it's stealing this bandwidth from other programs like my web browser which SHOULD have higher bandwidth priority, apparently no one thinks this is an issue or I'm just super unlucky and it is only happening to me.

Anyway, this thread is not about that, but rather, the fact that Task Manager is HIDING NETWORK USAGE from me! In the Performance tab I see a high receive rate under Ethernet, but in the Processes tab, ranking all processes by Network usage, they all say 0 Mbps. This is clearly not right, as the attached screenshot shows:

Windows is HIDING network usage from me [​IMG]

What's going on? I have another Windows 10 PC and the Task Manger at least shows me that Service Host: Network Service or whatever it is, is sucking up my bandwidth.

:)

yogalD, Sep 13, 2016
  2. BulldogXX Win User

"Fake" high cpu usage on Windows 10

And it's more fun to believe that Windows 10 is 'hiding' something from you with 'fake CPU usage.'

BulldogXX, Sep 13, 2016
  3. Plantje Win User
    Data Usage app for Windows Phone 8.1

A while ago I noticed that my usage of my Vodafone network was sky high during the night. I was not aware of me using so much data. So, I installed Network Usage (http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/nl-nl/app/network-usage/1620e911-4b97-40de-b79a-8c4d736d5c5b)
    on my Windows RT tablet. I like the app a lot and it gives me exact insight in when data is being used.

However, I have two Vodafone SIMs using one data bundle; one is in my Windows RT tablet and the other is in my Lumia 930 (obviously running Windows Phone 8.1). So, probably it has been my phone using the data.

Is there a Windows Phone version of Network Usage as well? Or do you know of similar apps to determine the data usage for Windows Phone. The Data Sense built in app is not sufficient as it doesn't allow me to pinpoint exactly when the data was used.

Plantje, Sep 13, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

I also noted the task manager didn't seem to show network activity in the task manager with the latest update - some 800Gb+.

dalchina, Sep 13, 2016
  5. EdTittel Win User
    Awesome access rate/bandwidth Dalchina. And here I was, thinking myself lucky with a mere 350 Mbps... Seriously, though, I am still seeing normal network activity reported in Task Manager, as confirmed by the Network Meter gadget using 8GadgetPack.

Windows is HIDING network usage from me [​IMG]

Wonder what's causing this on some, but not all, systems?
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Sep 14, 2016
  6. yogalD Win User
    The Performance tab in Task Manager shows the Ethernet usage properly, but in the Processes tab, if it's svchost or whatever using the network, it'll show 0 or 0.1 Mbps. If I'm downloading something in Chrome for example, it'll display Chrome's network usage just fine. It's just system services (or maybe just the Windows Update service/svchost/whatever) that are hiding their bandwidth usage in the Processes tab. It's as if Microsoft doesn't want me to know Windows Update is hogging all my bandwidth and slowing everything else down.

yogalD, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows is HIDING network usage from me - Similar Threads - HIDING network usage

2. Hide folder space usage

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hide folder space usage: Is there a way to hide file space usage so that it doesn't comes up in This PC. I have a big folder in my disk D so it's nearly full, but I don't want my disk D to be shown as full after opening This PC. Is there a way to hide space usage for that folder. Thanks in advance...
  3. hide specific Network connection adapter from Network list

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    hide specific Network connection adapter from Network list: Hi Mr @Brink , Is there a way to hide specific "Network connection adapter" from the "Network" list in system tray (network icon list)? I have 3 network adapters, Ethernet,WiFi and Microsoft KM-Test Loopback adapter (name as KeyShot). Whenever I disable Ethernet and WiFi...
  4. hide the hidden network

hide the hidden network: I have already hidden my wifi from neighbors but still on my laptop its showing two wifi network the one is my original network lets say zx, below it a network name is coming "hidden network". if my neighbors can see a wifi network with named called hidden network then...
  5. A piece of my HDD is hiding from me...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    A piece of my HDD is hiding from me...: So I wanted to make some space on my HDD because it was kinda full and I deleted this, this, that and that, after deleting some programs and games, my mind could not figure out what happened because the partition was still kinda full and I tried something. I clicked...
  6. Hide network drive

Hide network drive: I have a network drive mapped and I want to hide it, is it possible? 131356
  7. Hide Adapters from Network and sharing center

Hide Adapters from Network and sharing center: hi, i want to hide Ethernet Adapter to avoid disabling or Enabling it. is it possible thank you 109071
  8. Apps Are Hiding From Me

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Apps Are Hiding From Me: Trying to uninstall apps. Can't find them. Not showing on list of apps in control panel. How do I locate them and get them to show up for the uninstaller? Example would be XNView. New Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro Win 10 37218
  9. Hiding a device on the network

Hiding a device on the network: I have two uCam247 security cameras that store data to a UCam247 Micro NVR when triggered by motion. I'm using a Linx 8-inch Windows 10 tablet for the monitor, which I have affixed to a wall in a convenient location. My question is, how can I hide the NVR from appearing in...
  10. Hide Adapters from Network and sharing center

Hide Adapters from Network and sharing center: hi, i want to hide Ethernet Adapter to avoid disabling or Enabling it. is it possible thank you 109071