Windows 10: windows is no longer activated, windows update can't be started

Discus and support windows is no longer activated, windows update can't be started in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I'm not entirely sure if this is the correct sub-forum, but it all started out with problems with activation and windows update, so whatever *Biggrin.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by SomeRandomUser, Feb 22, 2016.

1. windows is no longer activated, windows update can't be started

I'm not entirely sure if this is the correct sub-forum, but it all started out with problems with activation and windows update, so whatever *Biggrin.

A couple of days ago, I suddenly had a watermark in the bottom right corner of my screen saying that I should activate windows. I have a legit copy of windows and had it registered before when I installed it (about 5 months ago) and had no problems until now. When I go to the activation window and attempt to re-register, I get this message:
    "Windows can't activate right now. Try activating again later. If that doesn't work, contact support. Error code: 0xC004F012"

After trying this during different times of the day for about a week, I started checking other stuff and found another quite big problem: I can't start Windows Update.

The service is set to "disabled" and when I change it to anything but this, it automatically changes back after around 30 seconds. Up until now, Windows Update never had any problems and ran regularily. So then I started googling this problem and found some solutions, all of which do not work:

I tried resetting the Windows Update (https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Rese...), but that didn't help either, since it coulnd't complete every step. It failed when running "sfc /scannow" at around 15%.

So I searched for solutions to that problem and found this: https://www.infopackets.com/news/9620/how-fix-sfc-scann...
    Checkdisk worked fine, but then I noticed another problem, I can't even run DISM to fix stuff. Attempting to run "Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" returned an error, saying that the remote procedure call failed...

Here is my sfc log: sfc log - Pastebin.com
    and here my dism log: dism log - Pastebin.com

-------------------------

Short version: suddenly windows is no longer activated, windows update can't be started, sfc and dism fail...
    I would love a solution that does not require me to completely reinstall windows!
    windows is no longer activated, windows update can't be started [​IMG]

Here are my specs:
    I have a Lenovo G700 (http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/essential/g-series... or http://shop.lenovo.com/de/de/laptops/lenovo/g-series/g7...) with an i5-3230M @2.60GHz and a Geforce GT 720M (the rest wasn't configurable). My OS is Windows 10 Pro N x64, version 1511, build 10586.11.

:)

SomeRandomUser, Feb 22, 2016

2. Windows 10 can no longer be activated.

Unfortunately, if you don't have your key, you will either need to try the activation troubleshooter in Start > Settings > Update & Activation. Sign in and choose your computer.

If that does not work, you are pretty much looking at purchasing a new license.

Andre Da Costa, Feb 22, 2016
  3. Windows 10 can no longer be activated.

The key I purchase was a Windows 7 Key years ago. I no longer have access to this key. It was not an OEM version. When I upgraded to Windows 10 for free during that time period, I did not expect to have to keep that key. I did not purchase a new computer,
    my motherboard broke, and since that happened it no longer recognizes my windows being activated which I think its dumb since it was never an OEM license to begin with. I am even using the same SSD that had windows 10 installed on it that was activated. I
    tried calling customer service and they needed my OLD windows 7 key in order for them to reactivate my windows which I think is incredibly absurd since I was using an activated Windows 10 on the same computer(different motherboard and processor) two days ago.
    I tried the troubleshooter already, and it will not activate it either. Also, when I run the troubleshooter, it doesn't even give me the option to select I recently changed my hardware...

PadraigBlasch, Feb 22, 2016
  4. JohnC Win User

windows is no longer activated, windows update can't be started

JohnC, Feb 22, 2016
  5. Superfly Win User
    As good as sfc /scannow and dism /restrorehealth is, they cannot repair file permissions corruptions. Those that can only be done on an 'unmounted' Windows i.e boot from install media and the repair done (either via a restore point or repair install)

Superfly, Feb 23, 2016
  6. SomeRandomUser, Feb 23, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    In an elevated ("run as administrator") command prompt run:

slmgr /dlv

Please post the results here and it will help us determine your activation problem. There will be no uniquely identifying info in the result so you don't have to blank anything out.

NavyLCDR, Feb 25, 2016
  8. windows is no longer activated, windows update can't be started

windows is no longer activated, windows update can't be started [​IMG]

SomeRandomUser, Feb 25, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    The answer to that question is yes. The in-place upgrade repair install will keep all your installed programs and settings. It looks like you have some major file corruption and/or permission problems, so the in-place repair upgrade would be what I would try first.

NavyLCDR, Feb 25, 2016
  10. Ok that's good to know *Biggrin. I'm out of town over the weekend but will probably try your solution sometime next week then.

SomeRandomUser, Feb 25, 2016
  11. Alright, I chatted extensively with a Microsoft Support agent and together we came to the solution, that a clean install is needed, since all of their "fixes" didn't work.

I rolled back to restore point before the issues first occured, performed an in-place-upgrade using an ISO from TechBench and another in-place-upgrade using the MediaCreationTool, but the SFC and DISM error still occur; the only thing that was fixed was the activation problem (which was my main concern). Even if those to command fail, I'm not hindered in any of my work, since all applications function properly again, so I will postpone the clean install until another time, because it just isn't very high on my list of priorities right now *Biggrin.

Just one last problem exists that one of you may be able to help me with: Windows Defender doesn't work quite right. I downloaded a know false positive file to test if it is active, and it did detect the file and gave me a choice to quarantine it and so on... BUT, the main Windows Defender window doesn't stay open long enough for anything. I wanted to update its definitions, because they are out-of-date (becuase of the restore point rollback), but the window just closes itself after about 3 seconds. I can't perform a full-scan because of this either, obviously.

Is there any way to completely reset Windows Defender? Or is there some place where I can download a fresh installer for it? I was not able to find anything promising using Google *Sad

SomeRandomUser, Feb 28, 2016
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Feb 28, 2016
  13. windows is no longer activated, windows update can't be started

Unfortunately it is not included *Sad
    I read in some other forum that removing update 'KB931099' from Windows Update and redownloading it would basically reinstall Windows Defender, but in my list of installed updated, it is not included lol...

SomeRandomUser, Feb 28, 2016
  14. Suddenly the watermark is back - my windows is no longer activated again *Biggrin.... clean install it is^^
    /thread

SomeRandomUser, Mar 1, 2016
  15. Superfly Win User
    Yup, a repair from boot media would correct those corruptions - once Windows is running a restore will not overwrite the corrupt permissions as those files are read-only - it has to be from PE.

Superfly, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

windows is no longer activated, windows update can't be started

1. windows is no longer activated, windows update can't be started - Similar Threads - longer activated update

2. Why can't I no longer activate my Windows?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Why can't I no longer activate my Windows?: Today I wiped my computer clean and reinstalled everything from scratch as I have done many times in the past. During the Windows reinstall process I entered in my product key and continued as normal. Shortly after Windows booted up I noticed that I couldn't personalise my...
  3. Windows no longer activated.

Windows no longer activated.: The motherboard on my current pc recently failed so I bought a replacement. After I got everything hooked up and running there is a notice on the bottom right corner of my screen saying I need to activate windows. I tried to activate it again but it says I need to buy a new...
  4. Windows no longer activated?

Windows no longer activated?: Windows no longer activated? Tech support called and was not helpful. I show Win 10 Pro OS build 2004 19041.928 installed and it has worked for years. Now i have error code stating it is not activated. Support advised me to try and purchase windows 10 again. I dont know why i...
  5. PC no longer starts after Windows update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    PC no longer starts after Windows update: Hello An hour ago I updated Windows 10 and it did the mandatory restart. It now doesn't turn on anymore. There's no logo, nothing. The light on the gpu is still on, but the power button doesn't do anything. I can't find anything online and I'm not sure what to do....
  6. Windows no longer activated

Windows no longer activated: I recently upgraded my computers cpu and motherboard and now i am getting messages to activate windows even though it was activated before https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-no-longer-activated/3035e460-d915-4e8c-a66a-53bacdad53a5
  7. Windows no longer activated

Windows no longer activated: Hello, Since last week, Windows is no longer activated on my PC. I get this message on the bottom right´-hand corner of the screen : [ATTACH] So I go to settings, and I see this message : [ATTACH] This is weird because I do have a valid product key. So I click...
  8. Windows no longer active

Windows no longer active: Hi, I was having issues with freezes, so in an attempt to diagnose the problem, I temporarily changed my motherboard to see it that was the problem. It wasn't, so I returned my hardware back to normal. Now, windows is no longer activated giving the message: "It looks like...
  9. Windows no longer activated

Windows no longer activated: I recently switched motherboard and cpu but kept my storage and now it says I no longer have a key for windows. I did try to clone the main C: drive and move it to my ssd but then that killed my ssd, I also just made a recovery key for the same reasons of trying to get my...
  10. Windows no longer Activated

Windows no longer Activated: After taking my PC apart for cleaning and putting it back together I have had a watermark in the bottom right hand side of my screen telling me to Activate Windows I no longer have my orignal product key is there a way to re activate windows with out buying windows 10 again?...