Windows 10: Windows language not completely changed

Discus and support Windows language not completely changed in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi Forum, I have installed my new computer win 10 in Switzerland. The installation was all in German (which I can not speak). After installation I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by SwissExcel, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Windows language not completely changed

Hi Forum,
    I have installed my new computer win 10 in Switzerland. The installation was all in German (which I can not speak). After installation I have change the language into English. I have also changed the user account and welcome screen (setting - Region- administrative - copy setting....

98% of things on my computer are now in English, but I still have finger prints of German... For example, the loadspeaker display appears in Germany. When looking for Device in Printers - it appears in German..

Any idea what I have missed?

Cheers

:)

SwissExcel, Dec 15, 2016
  2. Entegy Win User

How to change the language completely?

What apps are not properly translating?

Entegy, Dec 15, 2016
  3. How to change the language completely?

Did not Work, but reinstalling is not possible because the apps that show the failure are system apps like settings and music...

Felix Manz, Dec 15, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

Windows language not completely changed

Language packs are getting better,in Windows 10 they are if you ask me, using several language packs, they are as close to perfect as possible.

That being said, deep down some elements remain in original language. A good example in addition to those details you mentioned is Local Users and Groups manager (lusrmgr.msc); in screenshot you can see that although I have changed original German to English with a language pack, all user groups are still in German:

Windows language not completely changed [​IMG]

This means that if I for instance would like to add a user to Remote Desktop Users, I would need to use group's German name Remotedesktopbenutzer instead.

To completely change system and display language on an existing installation keeping your user account, personal files and installed applications, you need to force Windows to run the setup (OOBE) again. To do this, open Run dialog and type %windir%\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe to open Sysprep:

Accept defaults, click OK to start Sysprep:

Sysprep will restart your PC, going through setup once again. After restart you will be asked which language you want to use to setup Windows, listing the original language (German in this case), and all installed languages (language packs, UK English in this example case). Select your preferred language:

Set region and language preferences, click Next:

Skip the product key, it will not be needed. An activated Windows will remain activated when sysprepped:

You need to set up a temporary account, I in these cases set up a local account called Dummy:

You can't use any existing user name; as I had a local user before Sysprep, setup will not accept it:

That's it. When on desktop, sign out from temporary Dummy account, sign in to your original account and remove Dummy account.

Looking the Local Users and Groups manager now you will see that even those group names have been changed to English:

The two Start tile section headers are still in original language, change or remove them, as will be a few live tiles of native Windows apps. They will change to English when you start using them, or you can remove these tiles if they are not needed.

Everything else is now in English. Don't forget to backup Windows before starting!

5. Cliff S New Member
    I'm in the same predicament, and will give @Kari's advice a shot.
    I tried doing a repair install to see if that would work, but....
    It wouldn't let me keep my programs, just my data*Sad, so I thought I would just have to "deal with it", because I have way too much software to reinstall, and Office 365 would have been a PITA in my case*Wink.

Yes I know the problem of having to use the exact same ISO for languages, but one can always try, right?

So my Macrium image just finished and I'll give it a shot and post my results.

Only one question on Kari: When this completes and works, will I then be able to use the US-EN ISO for repair installs?

Cliff S, Dec 16, 2016
  6. Cliff S New Member

Kari!
    You are a Windows Geek God, I am not worthy to even dust off your keyboard.
    Thanks!!!

Cliff S, Dec 16, 2016
  7. Kari Win User
    No.

Windows install language is the language Windows was originally installed. If no language packs is installed it is also the system language. Display and system languages can be changed with a language pack, the Sysprep trick as told above adds a method to change setup language to any of installed language packs.

However, there's no valid method to change install language. The in-place upgrade / repair install media must match the language of the Windows install language.

If you have originally installed German Windows, you need to use German install media for in-place and repair, however completely you have changed display and system languages. It is also recommended to run in-place and repair installs from a user account using the original language, in your case German.

A good way to setup your now English Windows is to add a local Admin account, setting it to use original install language German. Whenever a repair is needed, sign in to that account to do it. I do this on systems with changed system language, deactivating the local admin account in original install language, activating it only when needed.

LOL you are welcome *Smile

8. Cliff S New Member

OK, I'm downloading the German ISO now, thanks again.

Cliff S, Dec 16, 2016
  9. Cliff S New Member

Like this?

Cliff S, Dec 16, 2016
  10. Kari Win User
    Exactly like that Cliff.

As a preventive measure to keep that additional local admin account in original install language clean, I use net user "German account" /active:no to hide it (using the profile name as in your screenshot as an example).

I don't want to copy any my personal stuff there, I really need it only with repair and in-place installs, maybe occasionally for DISM. When needed I activate the account, sign out from other accounts and sign in to it, reversing the process and deactivating it again when no longer needed.

11. Asuza Win User
    Hi Kari,

When I run sysprep, I cannot choose a desired language and also I can't even create an account. It only shows an account named "System".
    Do you know what might be the cause?

Asuza, Dec 17, 2016
  12. Kari Win User
    Are you possibly using Windows 10 with built-in admin account, which of course is never recommended? When Sysprep is run from built-in admin account in an existing installation, that's what happens.

13. Asuza Win User

No, I am using my own account wich is an Administrator. As you can see, the description field is still in Dutch.

Asuza, Dec 17, 2016
  14. Asuza Win User
    I've created another account and added it to the "Administrators" group and executed sysprep.exe. Same results.

Asuza, Dec 17, 2016
  15. Dear Kari,
    thanks for your very detailed answer....
    when you say: "Don't forget to backup Windows before starting!" do you mean that I need to back up my documents and software on the computer. is there a risk that I might lose some data ???
    I have too many things by now on my computer - I would NOT like to spend half a day on reinstalling stuff....I prefer to live with the German stuff rather than losing half of working day...

SwissExcel, Dec 17, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows language not completely changed - Similar Threads - language completely changed

2. Windows 10 language still not changing completely

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 language still not changing completely: I've upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 recently and It appears that some things are named in English, while others are in RussianI've been trying many methods to change the OS to fully English displayed, but still the language is not changing completelyPictures from my...
  3. Windows 10 language still not changing completely

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 language still not changing completely: I've upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 recently and It appears that some things are named in English, while others are in RussianI've been trying many methods to change the OS to fully English displayed, but still the language is not changing completelyPictures from my...
  4. Change the language of Windows completly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change the language of Windows completly: Hello,I got a new computer from Japan. But during the first setting of Windows, it was not possible to change the language, just the country.Now, even if I set the language to English, Windows is not fully in English:* The loggin screen remains in Japanse* The locking screen...
  5. Change the language of Windows completly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change the language of Windows completly: Hello,I got a new computer from Japan. But during the first setting of Windows, it was not possible to change the language, just the country.Now, even if I set the language to English, Windows is not fully in English:* The loggin screen remains in Japanse* The locking screen...
  6. Windows 10 Change Language Completely

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Change Language Completely: I got a computer with windows 10 installed in Portuguese pt-BR.I would like to change the language to from Portuguese pt-BR to English en-US.I have already changed the Language Settings:In any case I still got Portuguese in several windows popups And I still got Portuguese...
  7. Windows 10 language not changing completely

Windows 10 language not changing completely: Hi everyone! My default language is Turkish and i changed the language to English. BUT these are still same :[ATTACH][ATTACH] There are more and more : Pls help me...
  8. Windows 10 not completely changing language

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 not completely changing language: I download the English language pack on Settings > Time & Language > Language and set it as a preferred. I also changed the Windows display language. On administrative language settings, I copied all the settings to Welcome screen and system accounts and New user accounts,...
  9. Windows 10 language not changing completely

Windows 10 language not changing completely: Hello, My Windows 10 had to be reinstalled because of a Hardware issue, and the person who came with the DVD, installed a Norwegian version of windows Default language: Norsk. After I received the Laptop, I started to change the language to English, but after a few hours...
  10. Windows Display Language Not Completely Changing

Windows Display Language Not Completely Changing: As you can see in the image (below), my Windows display language has only "half-changed". My system locale is also set to Korean. I have rebooted several times. Latest stable update Windows 10 Pro. Any help would be greatly appreciated. [ATTACH] Here you can see that only...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 language not changed completely

2. windows 10 language not completely changed