Windows 10: Windows Local Account lost password

Discus and support Windows Local Account lost password in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I'm sure this gets asked a lot, but I can't find exactly what I'm looking for. A few months ago, my mom bought a laptop from Dell. She set it up... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Keirathi, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Keirathi Win User

Windows Local Account lost password

I'm sure this gets asked a lot, but I can't find exactly what I'm looking for.

A few months ago, my mom bought a laptop from Dell. She set it up with 2 local accounts, with her as the only admin account, and now she's forgotten the password.

All the information I've found requires you to either have made a password recovery disk, or have a windows recovery disk. Her computer didn't even come with the windows recovery disk, so she has neither. I can still log into the second account, but it's not admin so I can't do anything.

Losing the data on the computer is fine at this point; she didn't really have much, and I can backup what she did have. But again, I don't have a recovery disk so I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks for any help!

:)

Keirathi, Jul 22, 2016
  2. JimWynne Win User
    JimWynne, Jul 22, 2016
  3. trouble with activation of windows 10

Were you able to initially setup the computer?

Try setting up Windows 10 with just a local account, the connect to a Microsoft Account after.

How to Recover Your Lost Windows Password

Andre Da Costa, Jul 22, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum. We cant help cracking passwords but if its a dell you normally have either a recovery partition or an option to create dvds what is model number?

Samuria, Jul 22, 2016
  5. RolandJS Win User
    Goring forward, both of you nice folks keep a written log of exact usernames and passwords locked or hidden in a drawer somewhere.

RolandJS, Jul 22, 2016
  6. Keirathi Win User
    Dell Inspiron 15 5558.

I tried to make a system recovery disk using the windows utility, but you have to be admin to do that.

Keirathi, Jul 22, 2016
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jul 22, 2016
  8. Keirathi Win User

Alright. Yea I booted into the menu before and saw the Reset option, but I wasn't sure if that was going to require a recovery disk. Hopefully it doesn't.

Keirathi, Jul 22, 2016
  9. cereberus Win User
    cereberus, Jul 22, 2016
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It won't require a password to reset Windows. *Smile

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Local Account lost password - Similar Threads - Local Account lost

2. Local Device Lost Password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Local Device Lost Password: Hi - we have lost a device password and the hint is not helping us. The device shows in my device manager. Is there anyway to access the device it has key software on it...
  3. Local Device Lost Password

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Local Device Lost Password: Hi - we have lost a device password and the hint is not helping us. The device shows in my device manager. Is there anyway to access the device it has key software on it...
  4. local account password forgotten and password recovery drive lost

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    local account password forgotten and password recovery drive lost: I am using Windows 10 build 19044 and I had set up a local account in late 2020 with a windows hello PIN number and also a password 2 methods. I remember the pin code so can still access the computer. today I tried to change to a Microsoft account only to realize that i don't...
  5. local account password forgotten and password recovery drive lost

in Windows 10 Gaming
    local account password forgotten and password recovery drive lost: I am using Windows 10 build 19044 and I had set up a local account in late 2020 with a windows hello PIN number and also a password 2 methods. I remember the pin code so can still access the computer. today I tried to change to a Microsoft account only to realize that i don't...
  6. local account password forgotten and password recovery drive lost

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Lost password for Windows 10 Local Administrator Account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Lost password for Windows 10 Local Administrator Account: Hi, I have lost my password for my local administrator account and am unable to reset it as it is not linked to my Microsoft Account. I am running Windows 10 version 1909 on an Acer Aspire 3 laptop. I can access my computer with my 'PIN' number, but would like to reset...
  8. Local account, lost password, possibly BitLocker

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Local account, lost password, possibly BitLocker: My mother-in-law has been using a local account and does not know her password, or the answer to her security questions. She has been using Windows Hello, but the camera stopped working - the only login option that is available is via password - the other options are blocked...
  9. Lost password (local account)

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Lost password (local account): Hello - I have been using a local (non-microsoft) account to sign in to my laptop. I set a four digit pin a few months ago because it's easier to remember and use - however - I have forgotten my actual password. *Sad A month or so ago, I attempted to use the 'netplwiz'...
  10. Lost local password on Tablet

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Lost local password on Tablet: Hi, I've searched to no avail. My problem is I have a Linx Win10 Tablet and have forgotten the local password, not the Microsoft account one. I have setup no data other than a Gmail address and I do not care if this is erased. The tablet came with Win 10 preloaded and I...