Windows 10: Windows Locking Up, Runs Slow - Resources stolen; Task Manager Problem

Discus and support Windows Locking Up, Runs Slow - Resources stolen; Task Manager Problem in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi! (i5, Windows 10, 8mb Ram) I've talked to Microsoft who took control of my computer and did some very basic trouble shooting. I also posted on a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Tonys317, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Tonys317 Win User

Windows Locking Up, Runs Slow - Resources stolen; Task Manager Problem

Hi!
    (i5, Windows 10, 8mb Ram)

I've talked to Microsoft who took control of my computer and did some very basic trouble shooting. I also posted on a well know forum to check me for Maleware. I am over 3 weeks into this problem. I am still not convinced it is not maleware. However, the forum that helped me is very reliable. Microsoft really did nothing - generic fixes found via google search.

My computer is slowing down, lagging or simple freezing. On the top left of my browser or "program" on occasion it responds "NOT RESPONDING". When I look at task manager my disk resources are at 100%. Ive done all the steps here
    Windows 10 100% disk usage in Task Manager [SOLVED] - Driver Easy (And will do them again, it seems to be the default fix). This problem especially becomes obvious when I play World Of Warcraft. The game runs VERY slow, I am told it(the game) is not connecting properly to their server. But, the problem happens outside the game. It is like something is hijacking/stealing my resources.

What have I done:
    • Chkdsk/Scandsk
    • Maleware Scan (10+ properly uninstalled & rebooted before trying new ones),
    • Defrag
    • Bought NEW Video card (New Tower)
    • Checked for driver conflicts
    • Updated/Checked Drivers (Slim Driver Program & Bought a Program for this)
    • Ran 5-10 hard drive integrity programs
    • Ran testing on RAM
    • followed default instructions - this disk resource is a known thing with "generic fixes?"
    • Removed Junk/Trash Files (CC Cleaner/Other)
    • Followed ALL instructions on Maleware Removal Forum

This started 4-5 months ago. It is not really getting worse though is more annoying. My entire 'computer' lags. I am not sure where to look for errors (what error logs) or what the cause is. I am not even sure what logs to show you. I am 100% willing to do all the above steps again. With the input/advice of someone.

:)

Tonys317, Nov 4, 2017
  2. ray ayala Win User

Google Chrome locking up with Windows 10

I have a similar problem. Plus once it has started Windows task manager will no longer open and my Windows Live Mail stops responding. It's as though something has deadlocked in the network access chain. Only rebooting will break the deadlock. I've
    also tried opening the task manager before Chrome locks up and in this case the task manager does continue to function but does not show any process hogging resources. Maybe it's a nework driver problem?

ray ayala, Nov 4, 2017
  3. mircosolft Edge content process and browser

Same problem, very slow - review tasks running and the content process is consuming resources. This is almost as bad as Windows 10 dropping the network connection which happens frequently.

Forwhomthebelltolls_you, Nov 4, 2017
  4. Windows Locking Up, Runs Slow - Resources stolen; Task Manager Problem

Hi Tonys317

Before trying diagnostic procedures or OS installs I always recommend that you create a backup of your data off machine, create an Image with a tool like Macrium Reflect and have bootable media that matches your current Windows environment. You can also create new media using “Windows Media Creation Tool”. Only use a Microsoft site for this tool.

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

First what version and build are you running?

Windows key + R, type winver, enter

Time to figure out what Motherboard you have. Power down open case and examine board. It should be printed in pretty clear print. You need this.

While very generic have you checked for disk fragmentation?

Open Update and security and view Windows Update history. Any failures or re-occuring failures?

What kind of internet speed are you getting compared to paid for. Open browser, speedtest.net

You didn't say are you wired or wireless. If wireless what is the speed between router and device. Click on Network icon in systray, open network and sharing, then click on link beside connections.

What is reliability history reporting. Type reliability history in Cortana, app should appear at top of list.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Nov 4, 2017
  5. Tonys317 Win User
    Hi, thank you. All important software is backed up. I will look at the tool you suggested. I do not have that windows 10 code anymore. Three weeks into this problem I am ready to hit myself with a bat.

Version 1703; Build 15063.674

This computer is wired, an Xbox and kids laptop are what are currently on the network

The computer itself lags (not just the net connection) 50Mbpss download 7Mbps Upload
    -- I thought my upload was higher. ATT Uverse typical American Suburban area, Download seems correct.

I've done the disk defrag through windows. Also less recently did it using a program called Smart Defrag.

UPDATE History goes from 5/14/2017 ("Feature update to Windows 10, version 1703") to today, 0 Errors reported.

Motherboard is a Lenovo which is no longer serviced, they no longer print documentation for it. I can absolutely get it if needed. I've found it for other things though I know there were no stickers on it - I used a program to identify it.

NOT BEING SMART to me it is like there is a process/program that is "rogue" and sucking up my resources.

Tonys317, Nov 4, 2017
  6. Tonys317 Win User
    System Model: 10181
    Motherboard: Lenovo
    Motherboard Version: 3190058 STD
    Bios: i1KT38AUS

Tonys317, Nov 4, 2017
  7. Okay.

Well to get into the processes you could download process explorer, part of Sysinternals.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sys...ocess-explorer

When you have it installed you can right click on one of the column headers, select columns, select I/O tab, add Read and write bytes.

You can click on column headers, read or writes, to sort heavy hitters to top.

Now you said this started 4-5 months ago and that is when you installed V1703. I'm wondering if you have some sort of generic window driver install instead of the right manufacturer driver. The time frame fits.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Nov 4, 2017
  8. Windows Locking Up, Runs Slow - Resources stolen; Task Manager Problem

Caledon Ken, Nov 4, 2017
  9. Tonys317 Win User
    (Checking Lenovo site as suggested & looking at program you recommended). I am not too good with stuff like this.

This problem seems to present itself when any program/"process" is loaded. This is just the recent example involving Warcraft (2 minutes ago). While it happens at anytime it does seem to be more frequent when Warcraft is loaded. This game was completely uninstalled & reinstalled (3 days ago). Ive been playing the game for 2-3++ yrs on this computer without issue (This problem is 'recent'). The disk shoots up to 100% in task manager even when opening something as simple as paint! Then it hangs there for 5-10 minutes or much longer. During this time the universe slows. On occasion just opening up task manager makes everything mad!

Ive ran memtest/Burnintest (same company). The harddrive appears to be in functional happy condition. According to tests this is not a hardware issue.

I am looking into Lenovo updates now and at

Tonys317, Nov 4, 2017
  10. Caledon Ken, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows Locking Up, Runs Slow - Resources stolen; Task Manager Problem

1. Windows Locking Up, Runs Slow - Resources stolen; Task Manager Problem - Similar Threads - Locking Runs Slow

2. Smartcard resource manager is not running

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Smartcard resource manager is not running: Hi i make all installation and make many ways to use smart card readers from many companies but always this massage appear Smartcard resource manager is not runningplease help thanks...
  3. Smartcard resource manager is not running

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Smartcard resource manager is not running: Hi i make all installation and make many ways to use smart card readers from many companies but always this massage appear Smartcard resource manager is not runningplease help thanks...
  4. Smartcard resource manager is not running

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Task manager resource hog... until

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task manager resource hog... until: Hi there,I have a Dell 7710 workstation with Win10 pro 64bit, 21H2, 19044.1526, 32gb ram and 3xSSD = 2 TBThe issue is with all programs closed, sitting in idle lid open or closed, after a short time the fans turn on and resources are hogged. If I open task manager the highest...
  6. Task manager resource hog... until

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task manager resource hog... until: Hi there,I have a Dell 7710 workstation with Win10 pro 64bit, 21H2, 19044.1526, 32gb ram and 3xSSD = 2 TBThe issue is with all programs closed, sitting in idle lid open or closed, after a short time the fans turn on and resources are hogged. If I open task manager the highest...
  7. Task manager resource hog... until

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Windows 10 Task Manager Locks Up

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Task Manager Locks Up: And yet another issue with Windows 10 I never had on any previous version of windows. I start the task manager and attempted to sort the services by name and it locked up. Is there anyway to fix this besides re-booting my computer and waiting another 15 minutes for me to be...
  9. Resource Monitor, Task Manager, and Services continually lock up system functions on...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Resource Monitor, Task Manager, and Services continually lock up system functions on...: You'd think a person studying for an IT certification would know what's going on with this, but alas, I unfortunately can't figure it out. I'm running on a fresh install of Windows 10, installed about three days ago from the latest public release build of the Windows 10...
  10. Specious Task Taking up system resources in task manager

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Specious Task Taking up system resources in task manager: In windows 10 Pro im trying to delete a file called dsovlwx.exe . I found of where the folder is located and i cant delete and its taking up to much system resources for no reason as i keep multitasking the ram usage of that process keeps increasing i think this could be some...