Windows 10: Windows Logon: 2-Factor Biometric Authentication

Discus and support Windows Logon: 2-Factor Biometric Authentication in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have done some reading that Windows10 will incorporate 2-factor authentication. I was wondering for Windows Logon, does Windows10 support password... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by biocentrism, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Windows Logon: 2-Factor Biometric Authentication

I have done some reading that Windows10 will incorporate 2-factor authentication.

I was wondering for Windows Logon, does Windows10 support password AND biometric (e.g. fingerprint) authentication? If so, can you provide any feedback on exactly how this is implemented?

Thank you.

:)

biocentrism, Feb 8, 2015
  2. AVC3 Win User

2 factor authentication question.

Update: as you said, there is no 2 factor authentication options like I described for windows 10 (which is surprising). However, a third party application called Duo does work as I had inquired. Using my normal logon password initially, my system then sends
    a authentication approval message to my phone. I can then choose to allow or deny logon, its a pretty nifty app.

Anyway, the original question can be marked as no; however, the third party app mentioned does make 2 factor authentication possible with your smart phone.

AVC3, Feb 8, 2015
  3. Windows 10 insecurity.

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I would like to inform you that multi-factor authentication is built into the OS, using the device itself in the form of a hashed signature as the first factor and the PIN or biometric reader as the second factor to authenticate.

Access is only possible through physical access to the device combined with access via the personal identification number (PIN) or biometrics, perhaps a fingerprint. Additional hardware security peripherals will not be necessary to secure the
    identity. Being able to use two-factor authentication in this manner should prove to be more convenient and user friendly.

However we apologize to say that you can either use PIN or Fingerprint as an option as it is by design.

Hope this information helps you.

Sudheendra S, Feb 8, 2015
  4. Berkey Win User

Windows Logon: 2-Factor Biometric Authentication

Berkey, Feb 9, 2015
  5. Thanks for the info Berkey.

Does this information apply to Network based logins or does it apply to Windows10 Home Users as well?

I am asking with respect to a basic home computer user, not with respect to a more sophisticated work environment.

From the reading, it sounds like you will use a combination of 1) a device (e.g. smartphone); and 2) a PIN or fingerprint. But this seems rather cumbersome to force users to have to use a device. Some users may not have a smartphone (e.g. the elderly, children ).

Specifically, will there be the ability to use an old-fashioned password with the option to add a fingerprint as a 2nd level of authentication?

Hope you (or someone will) know.

Thank you.

biocentrism, Feb 9, 2015
  6. Berkey Win User
    This should be applied to all log in types. I'd imagine using a phone for a second authenticity would be aimed toward the average home user, but finger print scanning is still an option. I will try to find a blog post that came out (can probably find it just by searching) which talked about network 2 factor authentication .

The old style passwords should still work just fine, no second password required, although I'm sure it will be highly recommended, but it's your data, so your should be able to log on how ever you'd like

Berkey, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows Logon: 2-Factor Biometric Authentication

1. Windows Logon: 2-Factor Biometric Authentication - Similar Threads - Logon Factor Biometric

2. 2 Factor Authentication not being up to date

in Windows 10 Gaming
    2 Factor Authentication not being up to date: I had to change phone numbers a couple months back and added the new number to my Microsoft account and removed the old one. Now I need to use the 2Fa to access a bitlocker recovery key and the only option I am being given is the old phone number I don’t have access to. How...
  3. 2 Factor Authentication not being up to date

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    2 Factor Authentication not being up to date: I had to change phone numbers a couple months back and added the new number to my Microsoft account and removed the old one. Now I need to use the 2Fa to access a bitlocker recovery key and the only option I am being given is the old phone number I don’t have access to. How...
  4. Two Factor Authentication Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two Factor Authentication Issue: Two Factor Authentication has been forced upon all users who aren't already using it. I have a user that doesn't have a phone, therefore cannot use the authenticator app, and it doesn't even give the option to use a phone number. This user cannot get onto the system and this...
  5. Two Factor Authentication Issue

Two Factor Authentication Issue: Two Factor Authentication has been forced upon all users who aren't already using it. I have a user that doesn't have a phone, therefore cannot use the authenticator app, and it doesn't even give the option to use a phone number. This user cannot get onto the system and this...
  6. 2 factor authentication for windows 11 sign in with pin/windows hello

in Windows 10 Gaming
    2 factor authentication for windows 11 sign in with pin/windows hello: havent really found a definative answer doing a couple of searches im trying to have 2FA for my windows 11 signin for a personal account when windows loads up after i turn Personal Computer on.any help would be appreciated....
  7. 2 factor authentication for windows 11 sign in with pin/windows hello

2 factor authentication for windows 11 sign in with pin/windows hello: havent really found a definative answer doing a couple of searches im trying to have 2FA for my windows 11 signin for a personal account when windows loads up after i turn Personal Computer on.any help would be appreciated....
  8. Triofox 2 Factor Authentication!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Triofox 2 Factor Authentication!: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/TriofoxAccess [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ib9byu/triofox_2_factor_authentication/
  9. Child Account 2 factor authentication not sending code

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Child Account 2 factor authentication not sending code: My child's Microsoft account is trying to send him a code. The email option is to my old hotmail account which not longer exists. moved to outllook. My cell number has the correct last 2 digits and when I enter the full 4 digits it tells me they are unable to send code to...
  10. 2 factor authentication

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    2 factor authentication: ik there is 2 factor authentication for everytime u log in ur microsoft acc but is there 2 factor authentication for everytime u log on ur pc? and if so how submitted by /u/RektMonster [link] [comments]...