Windows 10: Windows logs into two user accounts instead of one

Discus and support Windows logs into two user accounts instead of one in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; The issue is like this: 1 I log into account A. 2 I reboot and log into account B 3 When I open task manager and go to Users tab, it shows both A... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by shmu26, Mar 11, 2018.

1. shmu26 Win User

Windows logs into two user accounts instead of one

The issue is like this:
    1 I log into account A.
    2 I reboot and log into account B
    3 When I open task manager and go to Users tab, it shows both A and B. Account A is disconnected but using plenty of CPU and RAM
    4 I reboot and log into B again. This time, only B is running.

It doesn't matter which 2 user account, or whether they are admin or Standard.

:)

shmu26, Mar 11, 2018
  2. [ Pete ] Win User

two live accounts into one

No, live accounts can't be merged.

But, you can put both accounts onto your phone and link the inboxes. The contacts and calendars will be shared between the two accounts.

But, you can only use one for billing purposes.

[ Pete ], Mar 11, 2018
  3. bingo75 Win User
    two live accounts into one

I created one live account on my old windows phone and created a new one on my windows 8 phone, can they be merged?

bingo75, Mar 11, 2018
  4. Samuria Win User

If you logout of the account does that solve the problems?

Samuria, Mar 11, 2018
  5. shmu26 Win User
    If I first log out, and then I restart, it solves the problem.

shmu26, Mar 11, 2018
  6. Berton Win User
    Sounds like Switch User was previously used instead of logging out then the other logging in.

Berton, Mar 11, 2018
  7. shmu26 Win User
    No, I did not use switch user.
    It seems that Windows remembers which account I used last time, and automatically loads it, just as it automatically loads applications that were running at the time of system shut down.

shmu26, Mar 11, 2018
  8. Bree New Member

You have the Fall Creators Update, which quietly introduced a new feature that restarts certain apps at the next boot if they were left open when you shut down.
    on a restart Fall Creators Update reopens apps from before

Others have reported that under some circumstances this feature can also cause other user accounts to be logged in at a restart.

Initially, there was no way to turn off this new function, but after complaints MS have put an 'OFF' switch in the next release of Windows 10 - version 1803 to be released in April.

Use sign-in info to auto finish after Update or Restart in Windows 10

This fix has now been 'retrofitted' into 1709, starting with build 16299.214. Try turning off 'use my sign-in info...' for each of your accounts.

9. shmu26 Win User
    shmu26, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows logs into two user accounts instead of one - Similar Threads - logs user accounts

2. two users into ONE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    two users into ONE: My HP laptop was originally set up with two users. I would like to combine the two users into one, I am the only user, now. Is there a way - making sure all of the files from the one to disappear are preserved? See below....
  3. two users into ONE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    two users into ONE: My HP laptop was originally set up with two users. I would like to combine the two users into one, I am the only user, now. Is there a way - making sure all of the files from the one to disappear are preserved? See below....
  4. same user with two accounts: one problem and one question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    same user with two accounts: one problem and one question: Hello, I've recently installed Win 11 and I'm not liking it very much, I don't like this forced shift toward O.S. for mobile platforms and I don't like Microsoft mimicked iOS's bar... however let's go to the point.I had to insert my account while installing windows but I'd...
  5. Two User Folder Names, but only one User Account?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Two User Folder Names, but only one User Account?: In File Explorer with Show All Files ON, I show at the same folder level the following: User folder N. P., and This PC. When I drill down into the C drive under This PC, and then further down to User Folders under C, I see the user folder name NP629, which is my Microsoft...
  6. one user account with two Admin profiles

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    one user account with two Admin profiles: Hi guys, I have problems with my Win 10 profile: I have one account same login associated to 2 Admin account - one with full control and the other with modify access. The problem is that I need to be able to switch to the one with full control as I can't modify many folders...
  7. Two users at Log in but in reality only one

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Two users at Log in but in reality only one: Like so many times before I was asked to (for lack of better word that I can't remember now probably due to my age) re-certify my MS account @hotmail.com. I went thru the motions like many times before, Changed password etc and all went well set to no password on log in but...
  8. Is it better to make two Microsoft accounts or one account and two users?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is it better to make two Microsoft accounts or one account and two users?: Hi! I just got an laptop and I want to have two profiles for me and my brother. The problem is that the secondary profile associated with an separate Microsoft account gets broken and displays "we can't sign into your account". Since the desktop is new, I had nothing on it...
  9. Microsoft account shows two computers instead of one.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microsoft account shows two computers instead of one.: I was in my Microsoft account tonight and realized there are two computers plus my laptop listed as devices instead of just one PC and laptop. The one with the same serial number as mine doesn't have the latest Windows update. The other, with a different serial number and...
  10. Two user accounts with one email?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Two user accounts with one email?: I have 2 accounts, one admin...and one standard (as recommended by Microsoft) Can I link them both to the same Hotmail (outlook) email? (Standard account used daily...admin account rarely used and there for security I currently have each linked to a different email account...