Windows 10: Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool not downloading

Discus and support Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool not downloading in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool for Windows 8, 8.1, 10 and Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2 x64 Edition - September 2015 (KB890830) is not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Debanjan, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Debanjan Win User

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool not downloading

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool for Windows 8, 8.1, 10 and Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2 x64 Edition - September 2015 (KB890830) is not downloading. Update has been stuck at 3% since 9/9/2015. Cumulative Updates for Win 10 Pro were downloaded and successfully installed on the aforementioned date, after restart. Anybody facing the same problem? Suggestions are welcome. Screenshot has been attached for evidence.

:)

Debanjan, Sep 12, 2015

2. Malicious Software Removal Tool keeps downloading constantly

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience caused. I will be glad to help you with this.

This may happen if the update isn’t installed correctly the first time, or if your Windows Update settings can't detect the update.

I would suggest you to try the methods below and check if the issue persists.

Method 1. Troubleshoot windows update

1. Press windows key + R.

2. Type control and press enter to open the control panel

3. Click on troubleshooting and click on view all
    on the left pane.

4. Run the windows update troubleshooter and follow the on-screen instructions.

If this doesn’t resolve the issue, please try the next method to reset windows update components.

Method 2: Reset windows update components

Please click here (Applies to windows 10) for steps to manually reset windows update components.

Disclaimer: Making changes in the registry could cause serious problems in your computer. Please backup the registry before you make any changes.

Click on the link on How to Backup Registry (Applies to windows 10).

Please try the methods above and install the update and check if you get the prompt to install that update again.

However if you want to hide that update, you can refer to this article.

Please get back to us with the result. We will be glad to help if you need further assistance.

Wungraileng1709, Sep 12, 2015
  3. Dracoman Win User
    Malicious Software Removal Tool keeps downloading constantly

Thanks for your reply. Yesterday I was able to chat with a Microsoft support engineer and she remoted into my Surface and manipulated the Windows Update components. The update did not install again overnight so I guess she fixed that part.

However, I followed your first suggestion and the troubleshooter indicated that "Windows Update components must be repaired" and then "Fixed" appeared with a green check mark.

Hopefully I am now good to go but I'll refer back to this if needed later.

Thanks again.

Dracoman, Sep 12, 2015
  4. Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool not downloading

I had the same problem. It was stuck on 55% for days, for windows 10. But yesterday it downloaded,and also another update that would not download,downloaded.I did not do anything,so Microsoft must have sorted it.

andrewhay94, Sep 13, 2015
  5. Cliff S New Member
    Cliff S, Sep 13, 2015
  6. Debanjan Win User
    The download finally finished by itself last night. But I haven't been able to install the program. "Failed to install" message shows up, each time I try to install it. I'm running AVG Internet Security on my Win. 10, licensed up to Feb. 2018. I also have a Malwarebytes Antimalware program whose license will expire in about 10 days. Do I still need to worry about this thing? or will the two Antivirus/Antimalware programs that I already have, suffice?

Debanjan, Sep 13, 2015
  7. Debanjan Win User
    I'm running AVG Internet Security on my Win. 10, licensed up to Feb. 2018. I also have a Malwarebytes Antimalware program whose license will expire in about 10 days. Do I still need to worry about this thing? or will the two Antivirus/Antimalware programs that I already have, suffice?

Debanjan, Sep 13, 2015
  8. Cliff S New Member

Sorry so late on the reply. I just got home from work.

The MRT is downloaded and run once a month automatically. For real protection and double checking your 2 are enough. What MRT is & does you can read here.

Cliff S, Sep 14, 2015
  9. Debanjan Win User
    I see... thank you *Smile

Debanjan, Sep 14, 2015
  10. jivadas Win User
    We are sorry, the page you requested cannot be found.

jivadas, Aug 23, 2016
  11. Cliff S New Member
    Cliff S, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool not downloading - Similar Threads - Malicious Software Removal

2. Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool: I have been using Windows 11 since last September 2023, and running Version 23H2.As with Windows 10 previously, I note that every month, a new update of the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool arrives with the daily update of Microsoft available software.The last update...
  3. malicious software removal tool

in Windows 10 Gaming
    malicious software removal tool: Is there anyway to determine if the tool removed anything during the W11 update process? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/malicious-software-removal-tool/cd9309e3-4ce2-4bea-aac9-af0b052f78ca
  4. malicious software removal tool

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    malicious software removal tool: Is there anyway to determine if the tool removed anything during the W11 update process? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/malicious-software-removal-tool/cd9309e3-4ce2-4bea-aac9-af0b052f78ca
  5. Malicious software removal tool

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Malicious software removal tool: As part of the regular patch tuesday, MS released a malicious software removal tool. This year that frequency went from monthly to quarterly, and event that varies. This month (Nov 20) there's a new one out, 2 months after the last one: KB890830 v5.84, and it's been detected...
  6. Malicious Software Removal Tool

Malicious Software Removal Tool: The most recent malicious software removal tool download from Windows Update was May 12. Has Microsoft ended the MSR tool program? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/malicious-software-removal-tool/8793a7d4-e58a-42c3-b839-0336a299ab4c
  7. Malicious software removal tool

Malicious software removal tool: I have Windows 8.1. When I run the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool, I always get 1 Malware found. It appears to show when the process gets to around where the Program x86 folder is, cannot say for sure since in processes so fast. It also could be around the...
  8. Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool: After the last Windows 10 update I cannot see Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool. Is it missing in the last build? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-malicious-software-removal-tool/a04fa90e-fd45-4404-9f17-ec763d2e3701
  9. Malicious Software Removal Tool

Malicious Software Removal Tool: I have Norton Antivirus on my computer and two or three times now I have seen a pop up in the bottom right corner from Norton which says "Malicious software removal tool was blocked from accessing the internet". It seems weird that my Antivirus would block a tool which is on...
  10. Malicious Software Removal Tool

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Malicious Software Removal Tool: *Info Shawn has posted a formal announcement of this on this thread: Update: KB890830 update for Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - May 2017 - Windows 10 Forums TC I just did a Check for Updates (WU) and got this. Out of the blue in the middle of the month?...