Windows 10: Windows Media Center Removal in Windows 10 Angers Windows 7/8.1 Users

Discus and support Windows Media Center Removal in Windows 10 Angers Windows 7/8.1 Users in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Windows 10 is the first modern Windows version that comes without Windows Media Center, with Microsoft deciding to abandon the project completely for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, Sep 2, 2015.

1. labeeman Win User

Windows Media Center Removal in Windows 10 Angers Windows 7/8.1 Users

Source

labeeman, Sep 2, 2015

2. Add to that, if you clean install latter on, you lose the free DVD Player App you got for losing Media Center in the first place. *really

:)

alphanumeric, Sep 2, 2015
  3. Upgrade from Professional

As part of the free upgrade offer, you will get Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.

Which features will be removed when I upgrade from a previous version of Windows?

Feature deprecation section

• If you have Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8 Pro with Media Center, or Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center and you install Windows 10, Windows Media Center will be removed.
    • Watching DVDs requires separate playback software
    • Windows 7 desktop gadgets will be removed as part of installing Windows 10.
    • Windows 10 Home users will have updates from Windows Update automatically available. Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise users will have the ability to defer updates.
    • Solitaire, Minesweeper, and Hearts Games that come pre-installed on Windows 7 will be removed as part of installing the Windows 10 upgrade. Microsoft has released our version of Solitaire and Minesweeper called the “Microsoft Solitaire Collection” and “Microsoft
      Minesweeper.”
    • If you have a USB floppy drive, you will need to download the latest driver from Windows Update or from the manufacturer's website.
    • If you have Windows Live Essentials installed on your system, the OneDrive application is removed and replaced with the inbox version of OneDrive.
    • Windows Virtual PC with Windows XP Mode
    Source:

Windows 10 System Requirements & Specifications | Microsoft

Is Media Center supported in Windows 10?

No. Persons who need to use Media Center should consider carefully before upgrading from their previous version of Windows. The Windows 10 upgrade will automatically remove any installations of Media Center.

So what are the alternatives if I need Media Center?

Your best option is to continue running your existing version of Windows with Media Center.

• Windows 7 editions that include Media Center will continue to be supported until January 2020.
    • Windows 8 Pro with Media Center will continue to be supported until January 2023.
    Will Windows Media Center be available in Windows 10?

Windows Media Center is not part of Windows 10 and won’t be available after upgrading to Windows 10. If you use Windows Media Center, we will alert you during upgrade that Windows Media Center is not available on Windows 10. We know that some users use Windows
    Media Center to play DVDs, and we are providing a free DVD playback app in Windows 10 for Windows Media Center users.

Source:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq

Andre Da Costa, Sep 2, 2015
  4. Windows Media Center Removal in Windows 10 Angers Windows 7/8.1 Users

Unable to upgrade to Windows 10 error: "THIS TOOL CANT UPGRADE YOUR PC"

•If you have Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8 Pro with Media Center, or Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center and you install Windows 10, Windows Media Center will be removed.

Upgrade to Windows 10

It does say you can upgrade.

Microsoft is supposed to allow you to download a free DVD player software soon, to replace that capability in Media Center.

Microsoft rolls out Windows DVD Player for Windows 10 users

More details here:

Windows 10 System Requirements Specifications | Microsoft

What language is your Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center?

Gerry C J Cornell, Sep 2, 2015
  5. Is that only if you didn't get it while it was free?
    I would have thought once you get it from the store it is tied to your account for re installing

paulsalter, Sep 2, 2015
  6. Nope. I upgraded from 8.1 Pro with MC to Windows 10 Pro. After running Windows update I get the DVD Player App. If I go to the Store its not listed in My Library. If I now clean install 10 Pro, it does not get installed again. To get it back I have to do the upgrade from 8.1 Pro + MC. It's all documented in another thread here. I'm not upgrading every time I need to reinstall just to get that App.

7. Thanks for the info
    I wasn't aware of this

paulsalter, Sep 2, 2015
  8. Windows Media Center Removal in Windows 10 Angers Windows 7/8.1 Users

That was a really dumb decision by who ever thought that up.

9. WhyMe Win User
    That part is the bit I find most insulting. Since practically everyone will have to clean install at some time. MS must think their customers are fools when designing this method of product delivery for DVD functionality on Win10 for existing Media Center customers.

WhyMe, Sep 2, 2015
  10. Trust_No1 Win User
    I get so upset when they say that, because it is simply not true. Media Center is the ONLY software that delivers encrypted channels, HBO, Showtime, etc.. We use WMC exclusively and ditched our settop-boxes years ago, not only do we get a better picture, but we don't have to pay the $10 monthly box rental. We won't switch to Windows 10, even if 10 had media center, I am still not certain we would switch, there are to many other areas, I find it lacking in. Oh well, we are fine where we are at.

Trust_No1, Sep 2, 2015
  11. Frankly I don't know what has got into the water at Redmond as it is one lunatic decision after another. I got the DVD player for one of my Windows 8.1 OS and not the other on another machine. I was not impressed with 10 (it was no where near as good as 8.1 or 7) and I wiped and did a nice clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. That is where I am staying for the time being as the free upgrade is a bad deal for me on my 4 main machines, 1 laptop, 1 netbook, 1 wife's laptop and her PC and the three media PC's that are used on TV for DVD , Blu Ray, Netflix and Amazon streaming.
    It looked like with Windows 8 Microsoft threw desktop users under the bus and with 10 they have thrown us under the steam roller or traction engine chasing a market with phones and tablets they have already lost. Of course any criticism of Windows 10 seems to get the post deleted but I have tried since the first release with feedback to tell M$ what I thought was a good idea and what was not and they did not listen. Well in a years time when they have extended the free for 12 months offer to 18 months you can see I told you it was a waste of effort to downgrade from 7 to 10.
    It is not worth the price of entry at free.

Indianatone, Sep 6, 2015
  12. I guess I'm still in "Testing" mode, with Windows 10.
    I downloaded an OEM version of Windows 10 Pro N, and installed it over a clone of my Windows 8.1 (legal & activated).

I've spent the last day and a half, plugging up security holes and setting my default apps. I was saddened to find out there is nothing like Windows Media Player, to play mp3, mp4, and other Audio/Video files.
    So what's the alternative? VLC maybe?

Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 are so user friendly, that I can't imagine myself ever wanting to run Windows 10 as my everyday OS.
    It's about as friendly as a rabid badger.
    Cheers Mates!
    *Cool
    PS: I DID install VLC Player tonight, then went through all the Audio setup and customization, just like I always had to do with WMP to get any kind of decent sound out of it. Now I have GREAT sound out of my Windows 10.

TechnoMage, Sep 7, 2015
  13. Windows Media Center Removal in Windows 10 Angers Windows 7/8.1 Users

This is why my main machine (which I rarely use these days) still runs Windows 7 for legacy devices and WMC. It's also a sin to not have the DVD app when clean installing Windows 10 for those who upgraded from Windows 8.1 + Media Center Pro Pack.

I'm currently using my tablet with Windows 10 as my daily device. I like the Store apps, but most are still unstable and will crash when resuming from "Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Connected" state, particularly the Mail app or iHeartRadio app.

theveterans, Sep 7, 2015
  14. The thread is about Media Center being removed, not Media Player. You have no Media Player because you installed the "N" version. Install the normal 10 Pro or 10 Home and you'll have Media Player. Why did you install the N version? I'm guessing you didn't know what the N meant?

alphanumeric, Sep 7, 2015
  15. WhyMe Win User
    Yup, wrong region.

@TechnoMage
    Download the Media Feature Pack for N and KN versions of Windows 10

WhyMe, Sep 7, 2015
Thema:

Windows Media Center Removal in Windows 10 Angers Windows 7/8.1 Users

1. Windows Media Center Removal in Windows 10 Angers Windows 7/8.1 Users - Similar Threads - Media Center Removal

2. windows media center

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows media center: how to i get the internet tv to work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-media-center/51d4e124-c330-4adc-ab56-07efefc6d65b
  3. windows media center for windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows media center for windows 10: windows media center is not available for windows 10, is there a work around for installing a workable version? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-media-center-for-windows-10/c8ea1d13-b934-49b5-bcc7-65932d876ee3
  4. Windows 10, 8, or 7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10, 8, or 7: Can Windows 10, 8, or 7 be installed on a MacBook Pro laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-8-or-7/1b2b0ef2-d4e9-494a-afda-ab7773e1ea39
  5. Windows Media Center on Windows 10...

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Windows Media Center on Windows 10...: I have tried several different HTPC software packages, but none are as good as Windows Media Center. I had to keep Windows 7 on 3 computers I use for watching TV. If Microsoft would release a version for Windows 10, I'd upgrade. They could control their costs by...
  6. Windows 10 as media center?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 as media center?: Which version of Windows 10 should I use as a media center for accessing NAS held movies plus living room browsing? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-as-media-center/65485306-6402-456a-9d50-70c767f3bf9b
  7. Windows 7 user needs a Media Center Replacement.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 7 user needs a Media Center Replacement.: I have 2 machines with 2 TV Tuners running Windows 7 Ultimate for the media center. I have looked at the possibility of going to 8.1 Pro and using some Media Center keys I have but feel my best bet is to run Windows 10 with a local account with a version of Power DVD that...
  8. Windows 7 user needs a Media Center Replacement.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 7 user needs a Media Center Replacement.: I have 2 machines with 2 TV Tuners running Windows 7 Ultimate for the media center. I have looked at the possibility of going to 8.1 Pro and using some Media Center keys I have but feel my best bet is to run Windows 10 with a local account with a version of Power DVD that...
  9. Windows Media Center

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Media Center: I've just tested and I was able to add Media Center to Windows 10 with my Windows 8 media center key *Party Although my desktop watermark now shows as Windows 8.1 with media center. 1963
  10. Windows 7 & Windows 8 Users Can Now Upgrade to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 7 & Windows 8 Users Can Now Upgrade to Windows 10: Windows 7 and Windows 8 Users Can Now Upgrade to Windows 10 Technical Preview - Softpedia Does this mean that all users can upgrade, now? 3770