Windows 10: Windows Media Player keeps losing its library settings

Discus and support Windows Media Player keeps losing its library settings in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have just installed a bootable SSD into my desktop PC and moved all my music tracks onto the old hard drive - which is to keep all my data on. As... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by BorderReiver(2), Jul 28, 2018.

1. Windows Media Player keeps losing its library settings

I have just installed a bootable SSD into my desktop PC and moved all my music tracks onto the old hard drive - which is to keep all my data on. As expected, I amended my library definitions to point them to the locations of folders on the remapped hard drive. I did the same for the music library in Windows Media Player. After it finished updating, I then spent some considerable time going through and updating the album art for albums that it had missed. I thought that all was well but now, whenever I reboot my PC, it seems to have lost the library settings, comes up with a different set of folders in its music library (some of which do not exist) and has lost all the effort that I put into getting the settings corrected. After the first time this happened, I assumed that I had done something wrong and repeated the long process, but now it seems to happen every time.

Is something happening in the background to reset my music library settings?

Where is the music library database stored - so that I can take a back up?

Can anyone stop me from tearing my hair out?

BR

:)

BorderReiver(2), Jul 28, 2018
  2. Yaqub K Win User

windows media player

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

What is the exact error message you get when you to try play files on Windows Media Player?

I suggest you to run both Windows Media Player Library and Settings troubleshooter and check.

Step 1: If your computer is having problems playing video or audio files in Windows Media Player, try using the Windows Media Player Settings troubleshooter to fix the problem. The troubleshooter checks the configuration and network settings
    for Windows Media Player to make sure that you can play content you've downloaded and saved to your computer, or content streaming over a network or the Internet.

Steps to run Windows Media Player Settings troubleshooter are as follows:

• Press Windows key + X and select Control Panel.
    • In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click
      Troubleshooting.
    • Click View all, and then click Windows Media Player Settings
      and follow the instructions.

Step 2: If your computer is having problems accessing your collection of digital media files in the Windows Media Player Library, try using the Windows Media Player Library troubleshooter to fix the problem. The troubleshooter makes sure
    Windows Media Player is correctly installed on your computer, and checks to see whether your Player Library is corrupted.

Steps to run Windows Media Player Settings troubleshooter are as follows:

• Press Windows key + X and select Control Panel.
    • In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click
      Troubleshooting.
    • Click View all, and then click Windows Media Player Library
      and follow the instructions.

Please reply us on the status of the issue to assist you further.

Yaqub K, Jul 28, 2018
  3. Kem Mon Win User
    Broken Windows Media Player

Hi,

Have you tried running the troubleshooter for WMP? If not, we suggest that you try to run the troubleshooter and
    see if it helps. To run the troubleshooter, follow these steps:

• On the search bar, type
      Troubleshooting.

• Click on
      Programs.

• Under
      Media
      Player, click on
      Windows Media Player Settings
      and
      Windows Media Player Library.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Jul 28, 2018
  4. Windows Media Player keeps losing its library settings

How do I restore my playlists in the Windows Media Player library

Hi,

In order for the playlist to reappear in your Window Media Player, we suggest that you add it again to your library. To do this, follow the steps below:

• Open your Window Media Player.
    • Click the Organize button, then Manage libraries.
    • On the drop-down menu, select the appropriate media (ex. Music).
    • Select the folder you want to add to your library.
    • Click Add, then OK.

Let us know if you need further help.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Jul 28, 2018
Thema:

Windows Media Player keeps losing its library settings

1. Windows Media Player keeps losing its library settings - Similar Threads - Media Player keeps

2. Transferring Windows Media Player Library.........

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transferring Windows Media Player Library.........: This appears to be a common and ancient question which hasn't really ever been answered.How to transfer the Windows Media Player library that takes months if not weeks to update...
  3. Windows Media Player loses its Share to PlayerXtreme media player

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Media Player loses its Share to PlayerXtreme media player: I run the PlayerXtreme media app latest version on my IPAD. I setup Windows Media Player windows 10 latest updates to play videos from my PC. When connected it works great, but I intermittently lose the share between player and app. when I look at the app it show a network...
  4. Windows Media Player loses its Share to PlayerXtreme media player

Windows Media Player loses its Share to PlayerXtreme media player: I run the PlayerXtreme media app latest version on my IPAD. I setup Windows Media Player windows 10 latest updates to play videos from my PC. When connected it works great, but I intermittently lose the share between player and app. when I look at the app it show a network...
  5. Windows Media player library is corrupted

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Media player library is corrupted: PC has a windows 10 Home installed I have updated my PC to the current versionI have updated all my relevant driver's I have reinstalled media player Numerous timesMy question: where else might the media player folder be located outside of %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft since it's...
  6. Windows Media player library is corrupted

Windows Media player library is corrupted: PC has a windows 10 Home installed I have updated my PC to the current versionI have updated all my relevant driver's I have reinstalled media player Numerous timesMy question: where else might the media player folder be located outside of %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft since it's...
  7. Windows Media Player 12 keeps including OneDrive as a library

Windows Media Player 12 keeps including OneDrive as a library: How do I stop WMP 12 from including OneDrive as a library and thus duplication of music against what is stored on my C: drive? I have gone into Organise - Manage Libraries - Music and removed the OneDrive entry but after a reboot or on fresh start-up it just reappears. I...
  8. Media Player Library

in Windows 10 Customization
    Media Player Library: My Media Play is finding incorrect information when I Rip CD's, how do I use/change to a more reliable source for this information https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/media-player-library/2a6e12e5-a529-40dc-9a28-e516a076ebcd
  9. Windows Media Player keeps f---ing with my library settings

Windows Media Player keeps f---ing with my library settings: A minor problem, and I know WMP is an old program on life support, but would still like to fix it. I have a rather large music library on an external drive F:, and there's also a public folder. So in Windows Media Player, under Manage Libraries.../Music, I have two folders...
  10. Windows Media Player Library

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Media Player Library: This has started popping up on my monitor. Never have seen it before today. Anyone else with this? [IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-media-player-library/d848f55a-dc62-4cc1-94f7-c49e27f497a6"

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why does windows media player keep losing my library

2. windows media player keeps losing files

3. lost library in windows media player

4. windows media player keeps losing tracks