Windows 10: Windows Media Player no longer plays .mp4 or .wmv files after upgrade

Discus and support Windows Media Player no longer plays .mp4 or .wmv files after upgrade in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; After upgrading to Windows 10, Windows Media Player no longer will play .mp4 or .wmv videos. They played fine in Windows 7, but now, when I try to play... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Chinaman3750, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Windows Media Player no longer plays .mp4 or .wmv files after upgrade

After upgrading to Windows 10, Windows Media Player no longer will play .mp4 or .wmv videos. They played fine in Windows 7, but now, when I try to play a video in WMP, I get an error message saying that WMP is unable to play the file. I am using the latest Shark007 codecs which say are fully tested and supported for Windows 10. Is there a newer version of WMP for Windows 10, or is there something else I need to do?

:)

Chinaman3750, Aug 7, 2015
  2. newctrg Win User

windows media player

I was looking for other solutions and tried to play

other types of video files. I narrowed my ability

to play movies on Windows Media Player.

I can play MP4, WMV, AVI

but I cannot play MPEG or MPG files.

newctrg, Aug 7, 2015
  3. Windows Media Player can not play MPEG and AVI videos on Widows 10. How do I convert these to MP4 or WMV?

Windows Media Player can not play MPEG and AVI videos on Widows 10. How do I convert these to MP4 or WMV?

AndresMa64, Aug 7, 2015
  4. alphabet Win User

Windows Media Player no longer plays .mp4 or .wmv files after upgrade

Same here. After upgrade, I can no longer play any WMV files stored on my computer. WTF Microsoft?

alphabet, Aug 16, 2015
  5. alphabet Win User
    I found that if I turn off WMV DirectX video acceleration in WMP options videos starts playing.

alphabet, Aug 16, 2015
  6. Carsomyr Win User
    That would make sense since WMP coming from win8 and earlier probably used directx9 features which are not packaged with windows 10. The directx acceleration may work if you get the directx redistributable and install it (which i might mention anytime i try to use the directx web installer on win10 it throws an error but when i install pcsx2 1.2.1 which is bundled with the directx installer it installs fine... idk why its the same package).

Carsomyr, Aug 16, 2015
  7. bobkn Win User
    WMV files play OK for me under the Movies & TV application, and under WMP.

I didn't notice whether that was true before another application ran a DirectX installer, which installed some files that weren't included with 10.

I just tried the online DirectX updater. It informed me that I had a newer version, so it did nothing. The standalone installer ran, though. It may have even put in a few more files.

Download DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010) from Official Microsoft Download Center

bobkn, Aug 16, 2015
  8. Windows Media Player no longer plays .mp4 or .wmv files after upgrade

This did not work for me.

I've spent an hour trying to get MP4 playback on Windows 10 to no avail. I am open to paying for an MP4 player but still no luck after downloading DIVX, MP4 codecs, and many other titles.

michaeledwardwr, Dec 29, 2015
  9. Wullail Win User
    Download VLC media player , it's free and plays EVERYTHING.

Wullail, Dec 29, 2015
  10. lizaoes Win User
    Try to install Media Player codec pack.
    If the codec pack is helpless as well, third-party MP4 player is a good choice.

lizaoes, Jan 3, 2016
  11. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Absolutely for VLC player -- BTW it also handles H265 / HEVC codec -- latest really high compression for movies / video -- you'll really need this for High Quality 4K video - otherwise for these new 4K TV's file sizes become HUGE.

I'm surprised that anybody ever uses WMV stuff any more -- Using proprietary formats aways will cause grief in the long run.

You can easily convert files into mp4 / mkv with HANDBRAKE (including H265 /HEVC codec). You can also rip (including Blu Ray) directly to MKV (H264) with Make Mkv so there's utterly no reason to use WMV files or Windows media player any more.

BTW if you install PLEX on your computer and smartphone and have a Google Chromecast device all these formats can be casted to your remote TV from your computer / NAS. -- including the new H265 formats -- with subtitles too if you like them.

Chromecast dongle costs around 30 EUR in most W.European countries / EU - or around 25 GBP in UK (inc tax). Well worth the money as it handles PLEX You don't need to use any of the "built in apps". I stream all my media with PLEX.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows Media Player no longer plays .mp4 or .wmv files after upgrade

1. Windows Media Player no longer plays .mp4 or .wmv files after upgrade - Similar Threads - Media Player longer

2. Windows Media Player plays the audio, but shows no video, on .mp4 file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Media Player plays the audio, but shows no video, on .mp4 file: I'm posting this because I found what an easy solution for this issue. This problem only pops up occasionally, and I do not know why Media Player doesn't recognize the video on these .mp4, but when I opened these files with the Avidemux video editor which is free to download...
  3. Media Player won't play .wmv clips correctly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Media Player won't play .wmv clips correctly: I have windows media player (MP) on a win10-2004 desktop that won't play .wmv clips correctly. VLC plays them fine, and the clips can be imported to a video editor and it plays them fine as well. So the problem appears to be with mp. By won't play correctly, I mean that when...
  4. Win10-2004 media player will not play wmv file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win10-2004 media player will not play wmv file: Recently updated win10 to -2004, screenshot: [ATTACH] and I am now finding that the media player MP in this version will not play wmv files. The result of trying to pay a captured wmv file in MP was a black screen with audio. So, I resorted to my test video clip -...
  5. windows media player won't play wmv files

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    windows media player won't play wmv files: windows media player won't play wmv files. I get audio only but no video. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-media-player-wont-play-wmv-files/cab62b98-f361-4f39-883d-74cda82695bd
  6. mp4 files no longer play after Windows Update

in Windows 10 Customization
    mp4 files no longer play after Windows Update: My mp4 files (those created within the past 2 years only) will no longer play on my computer. Actually if I upload them to the web, open with VLC, or open in Firefox they will play. If I attempt to open them with Movies & TV, Window's Media Player or Movie Maker, I...
  7. .mp4 files in window media player

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    .mp4 files in window media player: why .mp4 fies are not play in window media player in windows 10 1903? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mp4-files-in-window-media-player/df1a9991-37f0-40b8-8928-5dfc4aea586a"
  8. Windows Media Player will not play .MP4 files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Media Player will not play .MP4 files: Hello all. Windows Media Player, Version 12.0.17134.471, will not play .MP4 files. I receive the following message: "Can't play. This file isn't playable. That might be because the file type is unsupported, the file extension is incorrect, or the file is corrupt....
  9. Windows media player will not play mp4!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows media player will not play mp4!: Why is MS being such an ASS and not providing the codec to play the files. Just spent $5000 on a worthless computer because of you! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/windows-media-player-will-not-play-mp4/17c48516-49cb-4b46-9e4f-eb738c1da3b1
  10. Play MP4 in Media PLayer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Play MP4 in Media PLayer: Since Win 10 update I can longer play MP4 videos I used to be able to play in Win 7, using Windows Media Player. Why has this function stopped? I thought win 10 was an "improvement". This is the error message - Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might...