Windows 10: windows media player question

Discus and support windows media player question in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; does windows 10 support natively once more, dvd movie playback via windows media player? I recall back when 8 was released, the absolute flak storm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by xraiderv1, Jul 18, 2015.

1. xraiderv1 Win User

windows media player question

does windows 10 support natively once more, dvd movie playback via windows media player?

I recall back when 8 was released, the absolute flak storm that the lack of this ability generated, and microsoft tossing kerosene on the fire with 'but you can if you buy the media center upgrade' song.

please tell me they didnt make that mistake here?

:)

xraiderv1, Jul 18, 2015

2. Media player question.

I have same problem with my 5800 xpress music. After last software update became this problem

helitehnik, Jul 18, 2015
  3. Media player question.

What format is your video?

I'm able to fast forward and rewind most videos but with WMV videos I've also seen this problem.

el_loco---01, Jul 18, 2015
  4. Dude Win User

No, Windows Media Player does not natively support DVD movie Playback. Your DVD drive should come with software to play them. Also you can get codec packs to support DVD Movie playback

5. DKW
    DKW Win User
  6. Dude Win User
    The question was about Windows Media Player, not Windows Media Center

7. DKW
    DKW Win User
    There will be DVD playback capability, but maybe not for Windows Media Player.

8. Dude Win User

Yes, I suggest using Shark codec for DVD playback in WMP, if you do not choose to use the software from your DVD drive manufacture.

9. IAN
    Ian Win User
    The easiest solution is to just use VLC, which supports DVD playback. But Win 10 should have a built-in DVD solution. That's what MS is saying anyway.

10. MKeezy Win User
    Windows Media Player has always had the capability of playing DVD's, so you shouldn't have a problem setting it as your default device for DVD playback. However, Microsoft has by default set it's new Windows 10 Editions native 'Movies & TV
    Microsoft Corporation App.' It will automatically be installed during the upgrade process. However, if you have other third party software that you would like to make your default program for movie playback, you can simply assign that job to that program by making it your default video play back program for paying certain types of media files.

Me, I have a copy of Cyberlink's Power DVD App which I previously purchased from the Windows Store under my previous version of Windows 8.1. the copy I already had installed on my system at the time I upgraded, simply migrated over to Windows 10 for my continued use. All of your old windows store apps should be available to you, including and free video player apps you might want to install from the Windows Store to playback visual media. Some of them are still even free from the Store app..

MKeezy, Jul 21, 2015
  11. jay969 Win User
    this

jay969, Jul 21, 2015
  12. bobjoe Win User
    Since when do DVD drives come with any software? I bought a "bulk" ASUS basic drive for $15 on Newegg and it only came with drivers.

As others have said, I suggest using VLC. Don't bother with those "apps" from the Windows Store. They require a MS Account and they're generally bad.

bobjoe, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. windows media player question - Similar Threads - media player question

2. Windows Media Player question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Media Player question: So I usually select a bunch of songs into a playlist in WMP. Then I switch to the playlist view because I want to be able to see the list at all times. But If I want to skip one of the tracks and click on it, the playlist view switches back to the visualisation view. Is there...
  3. Question about Windows Media Player.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about Windows Media Player.: Hello Microsoft, for some reason, my Windows Media Player/Windows Media Player Legacy won't play movies on windows 11. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/question-about-windows-media-player/8e2c21fb-f1bd-4f17-8ecf-79be6ff2ca94
  4. Question about Windows Media Player.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question about Windows Media Player.: Hello Microsoft, for some reason, my Windows Media Player/Windows Media Player Legacy won't play movies on windows 11. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/question-about-windows-media-player/8e2c21fb-f1bd-4f17-8ecf-79be6ff2ca94
  5. Windows Media Player CD Ripping Questions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Media Player CD Ripping Questions: 1. Why is it that most CDs don't have album art when viewing in windows media player and upon ripping them to device? Is this an issue with the CD or WMP?*Sometimes this will happen with both of the two images, or with one and not the other.2. How do I make it so that ripped...
  6. Shared media player question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Shared media player question: So recently some files in my shared library have been starting to stutter when playing them on my TV via the windows media sharing option from my computer. I dont know what has changed but its only some files not all. I am running Windows 10 and my PC and TV are both hard...
  7. Media Player Questions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Media Player Questions: I record music from Audacity and Wavepad and save as WAV, then play or burn on WMP 1: One of these programs WMP? arbitrarily assigns categories to my content such as Artist, Genre, Album, etc. I would like to have them ALL in ONE list without Icons, just text. Is this...
  8. Correction re Media Player Question

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Correction re Media Player Question: Correction: I'm running 32-bit version of Media Player (Windows 10) https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/correction-re-media-player-question/d0c36cd0-81b3-4cc2-9be2-d916af19e63f
  9. Question About Windows Media Player

Question About Windows Media Player: Hi! I was just wondering...i recall that when i ran Windows 7, there was a graphic equalizer you could access in Windows Media Player...I am using the player on Windows 10 since switching over, but i cannot seem to find the Graphic Equalizer. Is there still one in the...
  10. VLC Media Player Question?

VLC Media Player Question?: Ok I know its a lot harder to change file type icons in windows 10 then in other versions of windows like the 8 or 8.1. So I was wondering if its possible to just change the file types for a specific program or through the program. For example I'm using the vlc media...