Windows 10: windows media player server execution failed

Discus and support windows media player server execution failed in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; windows media player server execution failed. Is there a fix?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by DavidCBee, Aug 11, 2018.

1. DavidCBee Win User

windows media player server execution failed

windows media player server execution failed. Is there a fix?

:)

DavidCBee, Aug 11, 2018

2. "Server execution failed" with Windows Media Player

Hello Nurlan,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

The Server Execution Failed Windows Media Player error may be caused by Windows System Files damage.

This error might also occur if for reason the Windows media player network service is stopped or if there is a problem with your User account.

To be able to assist you better, let us know a few more details on the below questions.

• Did you make any changes to the computer prior to the issue?
    • Did you check if similar issues occur when you log in to Windows using a different user account?
    • Do you have a System Restore point prior to the issue?
    • Did you check if the status of the Windows Media Player network sharing service in Windows Services is listed as started?

As an initial recommendation, I suggest you to the windows inbuilt launch the Troubleshooter to see if it helps to identify any issue or even possibly fix it.

a) Write Troubleshooting in the search box and hit enter.

b) Click on Troubleshooting
    tab.

c) Click on view all option on the upper left corner.

d) Select the Windows Media Player settings option from the list.

e) Click Next to run the Troubleshooter.

Next, try to re-register Windows Media Player components. Follow the below steps.

Press Windows key + X, select
    Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.

regsvr32 jscript.dll

regsvr32 vbscript.dll

exit

If it still does not help, follow the below methods and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Method 1

Place the computer in a Clean Boot state and check if there are any third party application/software to be causing the issue.

A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

Note: As the article is designed for Windows 8.1, Windows 8 and Windows 7. Unlike launching step for 'System Configuration', options and steps to Clean Boot are same for Windows 10.

Disclaimer: Please go through the section: How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot of the Kb article to boot the computer in normal startup after fixing the issue.

Method 2

This issue may happen due to system file corruption. I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow
    the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.

• In Command prompt type
      sfc/scannow
      and press enter.

• Restart the computer.

Ref: Using System File Checker
    in Windows 10

Method 3

If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state or were irrecoverable, then I suggest you to try the following steps to deploy the DISM command lines:

• Press Windows key + X.

• Click command prompt (Run as administrator).

• In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press Enter key after each command:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

To close the Administrator: Command prompt window, type Exit, and then press Enter.

Write to us with the updated status and the required information for us to be able to assist you further.

Sayan_Ghosh, Aug 11, 2018
  3. Windows Meda Player - server execution failure

Hello Jay,

I realize your concern. Let me help you with this issue.

I would like to know which version of Windows media player are you using?

I suggest you to refer the below article on You receive an error when you launch Windows Media Player: "Server Execution Failed"

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2021469

Also, suggest you to run the inbuilt Windows media player troubleshooting.
    To do so. follow the steps.
    1. Type "troubleshooting" in the search bar, and select it.
    2. Click on Windows media player troubleshooter.
    3. Follow the onscreen instructions.

Do let us know the update.

Thank you.

Pratiksha Devadiga, Aug 11, 2018
  4. windows media player server execution failed

Windows 10 "server execution failed"

I have also the same issue when i open media file on Windows Media Player it says "Server Execution Failed".

Nincomp00p, Aug 11, 2018
Thema:

windows media player server execution failed

1. windows media player server execution failed - Similar Threads - media player server

2. Server Execution Failed Windows 10, Windows Media Player.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Server Execution Failed Windows 10, Windows Media Player.: Hello! So recently I have been facing a problem where I couldn't play songs on my Laptop using Windows Media Player... It shows a prompt "Server Execution Failed" with a error symbol. I don't know how this has happened. But, I'd like a solution to fix it. Any way to fix it??...
  3. Server Execution Failed Windows 10, Windows Media Player.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Server Execution Failed Windows 10, Windows Media Player.: Hello! So recently I have been facing a problem where I couldn't play songs on my Laptop using Windows Media Player... It shows a prompt "Server Execution Failed" with a error symbol. I don't know how this has happened. But, I'd like a solution to fix it. Any way to fix it??...
  4. Server Execution Failed Windows 10, Windows Media Player.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Server Execution Failed Windows 10, Windows Media Player.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. WSL Server execution failed

WSL Server execution failed: Hello, I've been using Ubuntu with WSL2 for a while now, but it has stopped functioning well the last weeks. The error I get when running Ubuntu for instance is:WslRegisterDistribution failed with error: 0x80080005 Error: 0x80080005 Server execution failed.Sure, disabling wsl...
  7. Explorer.exe Server execution failed. Error

in Windows 10 Customization
    Explorer.exe Server execution failed. Error: Hi, I've been facing this issue which I try and open "This PC" or rather any folder. I can't open any folder. Please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/explorerexe-server-execution-failed-error/e43effe0-cff5-4377-b293-ed027a4753cc
  8. systeminfo ERROR: Server execution failed

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    systeminfo ERROR: Server execution failed: This is the error: PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> systeminfo ERROR: Server execution failed PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> The question is why? No results searching with Bing and Google - though there were a few pages for Explorer and Media Player errors. There is a page from "Experts...
  9. Windows Media Player Error – Server Execution Failed

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Media Player Error – Server Execution Failed: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]It may so happen that when trying to play music files using the Windows Media Player, you receive Server execution failed popup. Post this; you will not be able to play media files for some time. Some users reported that [...] This post Windows Media Player...
  10. Open WMP with "Server Execution Failed"

Open WMP with "Server Execution Failed": I got with "Server Execution Failed" when opening WMP in Windows 10. Searching on the web, I have tried many hints but failed all the time. What is the true cure of this problem ? Is it due to codecs problem or anything related to internet ? *** Email address is removed for...