Windows 10: Windows menus don't open

Discus and support Windows menus don't open in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Not sure where to post this, but none of the menu options open. The New Notification panel on the bottom right hand side doesn't open, and neither does... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Cheyko, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Cheyko Win User

Windows menus don't open

Not sure where to post this, but none of the menu options open. The New Notification panel on the bottom right hand side doesn't open, and neither does the start menu in the bottom left hand side.

I am on an acer aspire laptop, and the brightness setting doesn't adjust anymore either.

I'm playing with the other icons in the bottom left hand corner, and none of them open up or do anything. Wireless icon, sound icon, one drive icon, or the notification icon. Searching the web and windows/Cortana does not do anything either. It doesn't even allow me to type anything.

I have tried restarting (which had to be done through the windows key + x shortcut) and shutting down/waiting/starting up again and neither have worked.

:)

Cheyko, Aug 1, 2015

2. Edge and Start menu don't open

Hi,

Thanks for replying to us with the status of your issue.

As the issue still persists, I suggest you to download the media creation tool to install windows 10 and create Windows 10 installation DVD media and try Repairing your Computer.

Follow the below steps:

• Create installation media for windows 10.

Refer to the below link:

Windows 10 herunterladen

• Insert the Windows 10 installation DVD in the DVD ROM and restart your computer.

• After you boot your computer using Windows DVD or System Repair Disc, a black screen appears with gray text "Press any key to boot from DVD". Press any key.

• Select the correct time and Keyboard type.

• Click Repair your computer in the lower left corner.

• Follow the on screen instruction.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Aug 1, 2015
  3. jenmarwar Win User
    Edge and Start menu don't open

Edge would not open. Start menu would open sometimes, but mostly would display a corrupt message with a button to sign out.

Tried the following that I found on a community page:

Accessed C:\Users\MyUsername\AppData\Local\Packages

Deleted Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe

Restarted PC

Accessed Windows Powershell and entered cd C:\Users\MyUsername at the c: prompt

Then ran: Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml" -Verbose}

Now, Edge is gone and only a stripped down Start Menu displays with right mouse click only. Had to resort to Run: iexplore.exe to launch Internet Explorer to access the internet.

Please advise!!!

Subsequently tried this:

• Open the Task manager. Here’s a tip: Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.
    • Click File > Run New Task
    • Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”
    • Type CMD
    • Type the following 4 commands at the CMD prompt one by one:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

powershell

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    • Close the CMD window.
    ...and ended up with this (failure) in response:

Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073CF6, Package could

not be registered.

error 0x80070002: Windows cannot register the package because of an internal

error or low memory.

NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId]

55d26639-65f6-0000-b9fc-d455f665d101 in the Event Log or use the command line

Get-AppxLog -ActivityID 55d26639-65f6-0000-b9fc-d455f665d101

At line:1 char:94

+ ... | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.I ...

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo : WriteError: (C:\Windows\Syst...ppXManifest.xml:S

tring) [Add-AppxPackage], IOException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : DeploymentError,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageMa

nager.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommand

Now what... please advise!

jenmarwar, Aug 1, 2015
  4. Boozad Win User

Windows menus don't open

Now you've upgraded and activated try performing a clean install.

Boozad, Aug 1, 2015
  5. Cheyko Win User
    Is there any other option? I have too much stuff I'd lose (I know, I know, everything should be backed up anyway because anything can happen, blah blah blah, but I'm a poor college student without any money to invest in separate hard drives).

If there isn't any fix I'll just revert back to Windows 8.

Cheyko, Aug 1, 2015
  6. Cheyko Win User
    I also don't own any flash drives, so I couldn't do a clean install anyway.

Cheyko, Aug 1, 2015
  7. YOU
    You Win User
    Maybe should try a reset first, before a clean reinstall. It allows to keep r files. Go to PC Settings > Update & Security > Recover and click "Get started" under "Reset this PC". I can't guarantee that r files will be safe, but it's very unlikely that a failed reset would cause r files to become corrupt or something like that. can get thumbnail drives for pretty cheap nowadays, for example a 64 GB SanDisk Cruzer Glide is only $26 here Amazon.com: SanDisk Cruzer Glide USB 64GB Flash Drive (SDCZ60-064G-A11): Computers Accessories The only thing bad about the Cruzer Glides is that they are kinda slow, but it's good enough for to back up plenty of files on if have the time to wait for them to copy over.

Update: 128 GB only $32, so might as well buy this: Amazon.com: SanDisk Cruzer Glide CZ60 128GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive- SDCZ60-128G-B35: Electronics

8. Cheyko Win User

Windows menus don't open

Yeah, I haven't even been able to pay rent this month... so going out and spending money on something I don't need when I still have to pay for food isn't in my priorities. *Tongue

I shut down the computer, removed the battery, and just let it sit while cooking dinner, came back, put everything together, and started it up again and so far everything seems to be working okay.

Cheyko, Aug 1, 2015
  9. YOU
    You Win User
    Great. Be sure to let us know if it starts misbehaving again.

Thema:

Windows menus don't open

1. Windows menus don't open - Similar Threads - menus don't open

2. Website Menus Automatically Opening By Pass-Over

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Website Menus Automatically Opening By Pass-Over: Can I control a website-menu auto-opening without clicking on it?Many websites will shot-gun you just passing over a menu without clicking on something in it. I tried checking the mouse function below, but it was already unchecked.Is there anything more I can do to prevent a...
  3. windows app are not working setting or windows menus is not opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows app are not working setting or windows menus is not opening: hi I just updated to the newer version of Windows 11 a few days ago and none of the Windows apps are opening I can only get Win+r to workI can only go into a few things in the control panel. windows settings won't open. it keeps saying "the package not registered"all the...
  4. windows app are not working setting or windows menus is not opening

windows app are not working setting or windows menus is not opening: hi I just updated to the newer version of Windows 11 a few days ago and none of the Windows apps are opening I can only get Win+r to workI can only go into a few things in the control panel. windows settings won't open. it keeps saying "the package not registered"all the...
  5. windows don't open directtly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows don't open directtly: windows counts to 100 to open due to wrong qr. code as it says https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-dont-open-directtly/a1576b3b-6773-48e5-90bc-072748e3a04c
  6. windows don't open directtly

windows don't open directtly: windows counts to 100 to open due to wrong qr. code as it says https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-dont-open-directtly/a1576b3b-6773-48e5-90bc-072748e3a04c
  7. Windows menus

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows menus: I have a problem with the windows 10 menus, I don't know a lot about it so I'll do my best to explain itEvery time I open a window menu, ex. search bar, settings, sound setting on task bar my computer starts scrolling through every option without any control. Due to this I...
  8. Menus not openning

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Menus not openning: i recently built a brand new pc, AMD ryzen 5 2600x with a geforce GTX 1660. Its been working fine the first few days but now that I brought the pc back from my dads house for a week, the wifi network list is openning up but not showing networks. I tried going into the start...
  9. Window is open but don't work

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Window is open but don't work: Hello This is the situation: I have the file explorer window or any other app open and i'm normally using it. Then imagine i open other app i.e. Photoshop, Excel, etc... and leave the others on the background for some minutes. Also if i leave pc for some minutes to go out....
  10. Context menus opening to the left

in Windows 10 Support
    Context menus opening to the left: .... instead of to the right, like they're SUPPOSED to. [img] 72316