Windows 10: Windows minimizing and reappearing on clicks?

Discus and support Windows minimizing and reappearing on clicks? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; A few nights ago I accidentally buried my computer in viruses with one click. Whatever, happens, it was my fault. I removed them all in safe mode but a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tylerrex96, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Windows minimizing and reappearing on clicks?

A few nights ago I accidentally buried my computer in viruses with one click. Whatever, happens, it was my fault. I removed them all in safe mode but a lot of my windows settings seemed off still. So, I reformatted my SSD to try and fix the problem, but it's still there.

When I click fast/repeatedly in a window the window disappears and reappears quickly like so:Screen capture - cd5f8c3ef98e69d53e81edc809532f5c - Gyazo

This is not a huge issue in most things, but when it happens my settings in a lot of games breaks, primarily the resolution. How do I make it stop? I tried disconnecting my second monitor and nothing changed.

It seems to only happen to games running in windowed/borderless windowed. Full screen is fine, however tabbing out of the games in either case tends to break them and I can't tab back in.

As of right now, I'm running Malwarebytes on my second drive to see if it potentially carried over in some way. I used it to back up a lot of things. EDIT: Second drive came back completely clean, as did the SSD. Makes me think it's just a glitch in Windows/settings, not infection but I DUNNO

Specs if they matter:
    Gigabyte z87-d3hp
    Core i5-4430
    8gb Kingson HyperX
    MSI GTX970
    700w EVGA PSU
    Windows 10 Home Premium x64
    128gb Samsung SSD/1tb WD HDD

:)

tylerrex96, Apr 6, 2016
  2. Xbalanque Win User

Windows 10 Build 1511 – Overheating CPU, fan always running (process “System and compressed memory”)

Perhaps it was caused by something that was fixed by reinstalling Windows 10 with a minimal set of other software. The SSHD definitely is an improvement over the HDD even if it did not contribute to the high CPU usage.

Photoshop was really the only reason that I was running Windows on this laptop. As I am not using Photoshop on this laptop anymore, if the high CPU usage reappears this will become a Linux laptop!

Xbalanque, Apr 6, 2016
  3. gnew---01 Win User
    Application icons disappearing (and reappearing) on E66 boot?

I have the same problem. Does anyone have a fix for this very annoying bug?

gnew---01, Apr 6, 2016
  4. Windows minimizing and reappearing on clicks?

The game I was having the most issues with was fixed by running it in compatibility mode with Windows 7. However, I still have issues with a lot of programs and this was not the case before.

tylerrex96, Apr 6, 2016
  5. Tyler, there are many possible causes, so there are many possible solutions, some of which will work.

Download the free Malwarebytes program and do a deep scan.

Right click your Start Button and select Task Manager--File--Run New Task, and type powershell into the box. Check the box giving you Administrator Privileges and Enter. Give PowerShell a few seconds and type sfc /scannow into the command line. (Notice the space after sfc).

Both these solutions take a long time. Since you have reformatted, there's a good chance that they won't work. But they won't harm your computer.

Vince Massi, Apr 6, 2016
  6. tylerrex96, Apr 6, 2016
  7. Malwarebytes or most AV resident code scanners /cleaners arent much good on something nasty they never seen (plenty) *really

Maybe a few passes with a low level format utility outside of MS windows programs /utilities like Sea Tools or Spinrite or WD lifeguard or Linux Ubuntu (real decent drive tools IMO ) or something then clean install outside of a potentially infected back up maybe ?

If you can find it WD lifeguard works well on just about any metal hdd whereas Sea Tools is Seagate also decent & Spinrite is ofc the defcato goto probably any metal hdd diag format goodness also .

Any bad hdd sectors/ clusters or bad blocks leaking out of smart drive reserve into the windows OS or healthy partition or growing there that might be indicating a failing hdd ?

Outside of a few low level formats back to back as needed I've used these (free) extra strength per severe incident not periodic use malware & root drive cleaners that any of the usual and Mbam root drive & malware cleansers couldn't touch and sometimes all 3 at one incident along with some reg /program group /app data folder ./app data edits

Kaspersky TDSSkiller
    HijackThis
    HitmanPro

Note these cleaners ^^^ a can maul any given file ,program,browser or folder or its contents and your directory's ,file paths ,dll's or more commonly some of *any them randomly* also use at your own risk *really

Remember: The second scan's usually the charm on most low level formats and each cleaner above *really

Again outside of deep cleaning maybe low level format(s) that's usually going to work on malware & rootkits on a healthy hdd Unless .......some of the new malware out there crawled onto your hdd controller firmware and is replicating /acting from there in which case a new hdd is in order AFAIK .

I like low level (if needed) format/ hdd diag > known good back up or clean install strategy the other stuff I listed can take forever and it ain't for the faint of heart or newbies
    *really

blutos cousin, Apr 6, 2016
  8. Windows minimizing and reappearing on clicks?

Both drives passed the WD Lifeguard Diagnosis test thing. Malwarebytes didn't detect anything again, including the rootkit scan this time.

tylerrex96, Apr 6, 2016
  9. Did you use the long fix and repair option in WD Lifeguard or just the often meaningless quick pass/fail option ?

I made some edits above you mat want to re read or not in case you missed it *Cool

Have you read the windows event error logs for hdd Bad Block /cluster or sector critical errors if you got those my advice ....get a new hdd and be done with it .

10. I ran the extended test on both drives.

tylerrex96, Apr 6, 2016
  11. what brand hdd ?

again maybe something crawled into the hdd firmware or you have some physical damage on a platter how old are the hdd's anthing after 3 yrs is usually crap shoot either way . again the second or third scan is usually the charm and maybe spin rite can find something

FWIW I've had WD lifeguard pass a bad HDD,Sea Tools also *really

You could always as a last resort run Combo Fix and put the logs at bleeping computer > anti malware .?virus forum Combo Fix section and see what the word is or isn't but you might as well do a few low level formats and clean install.

IMO if it gets to Combo Fix unless you have valuable data which I would scrape off ( copy off ) the windows healthy partition with Linux Ubuntu or something before Combo Fix or the above cleansing if I didn't have any back ups.anyway .....

Combo Fix wrote the book on severe cleaning and editing scripts its like expert level last resort cardiac defibrillators but nothing can fix a bad hdd controller or platter *really

maybe post your SFC and event viewer recent critical error logs here or better yet CHKDSK results *really

any bad shutdowns /blackouts or brownouts or sagging DC rails in a cheap or defective PSU ?

12. Seen Mbam & Mbam root cleaner come up with nothing the the 3 cleaners I mentioned above found and killed it took all three of them with multiple passes and some reg edits and all the other file and reg edits I menntined above (it utterly destoyed Firfox & corrupted Chrome and it came in on IE 11.

Took about 15 hours of my steady work time and the cleaners above outside of Combo Fix .That was epic headaches and chasing malware code or damaged code reg entries or files .

Next one like that gets a format or two (maybe some data scraping ) no questions asked but how much you willing to pay or trade *really.

It was some one else's PC with $$ valuable data and working projects with *specificic VST calls* (no back up ) and a new malware variant (2 of them) nobody heard of at the time that came in on a normally harmless Conflict search engine /tool bar hijacker.

If you had all that you would would know you been hijacked in a minute it's more than obvious even in the task bar ,Browser and desktop behavior and it crawled into Firefox somehow and destroyed it ,hijacked Chrome and IE 11 and they replicate and hide everywhere but I think one or both are known now .

After the working projects were done and exported that PC NTFS hdd got a low level 2 pass format & clean install once I was able to scrape the usable data out of it that was left .

It was an Intel SB i7 HP box similar to mine running Win 7 x64 and AVG free and the free Mbam malware scraper . But NO program on the planet would prevent those at the time AFAIK nobody heard of yet except one fairly sharp IT guy on Y.T I could find and we kinda collaborated (shared our findings ) on those and Conflict *really

6 mo later all this was the new bogeyman all over the web and PC blogs *really

13. Windows minimizing and reappearing on clicks?

Tyler, we're getting somewhere! PowerShell was unable to fix your corrupted files with sfc /scannow, but it did find out that you have corrupted files. Here's what to do:

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some (or all) of them indicates a problem.
    In this latter case, type (or copy and paste) DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth into the PowerShell window and press the [Return] key. This will download files from Windows Update to replace the corrupt ones and, again, this may take some time.

Vince Massi, Apr 6, 2016
  14. Fixed with a complete reinstall of Windows through USB obtained from another computer. I dunno if that was necessary but it worked.

I would assume it was a rootkit of some sort that was buried in the boot files, and had also infected the recovery. Reinstalling Windows the first time through the recovery wasn't enough to get it out, I had to completely clear the partition.

tylerrex96, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows minimizing and reappearing on clicks?

1. Windows minimizing and reappearing on clicks? - Similar Threads - minimizing reappearing clicks

2. Point and click to minimize all windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Point and click to minimize all windows: Until yesterday, I was able to minimize all windows by pointing to the lower-right corner of the screen and clicking. Restarting did not help restore this feature.Does anyone know why this could have stopped working, and how to restore it?...
  3. Point and click to minimize all windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Point and click to minimize all windows: Until yesterday, I was able to minimize all windows by pointing to the lower-right corner of the screen and clicking. Restarting did not help restore this feature.Does anyone know why this could have stopped working, and how to restore it?...
  4. Clicking taskbar icon does not minimize app

Clicking taskbar icon does not minimize app: When I click on a taskbar icon of a program I'm viewing it doesn't minimize. My old computer did this. Is there a setting I can change to make this happen?...
  5. Auto-Hide Taskbar not reappearing unless I return to the desktop or minimize all windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Auto-Hide Taskbar not reappearing unless I return to the desktop or minimize all windows: I was hoping an update would resolve this by now as it's such a blatantly obvious issue, but ever since I "upgraded" to Windows 11 the auto-hide taskbar functionality has gotten so much worse. It will not appear unless I hit the Windows key on my keyboard so long as ANY...
  6. Auto-Hide Taskbar not reappearing unless I return to the desktop or minimize all windows

Auto-Hide Taskbar not reappearing unless I return to the desktop or minimize all windows: I was hoping an update would resolve this by now as it's such a blatantly obvious issue, but ever since I "upgraded" to Windows 11 the auto-hide taskbar functionality has gotten so much worse. It will not appear unless I hit the Windows key on my keyboard so long as ANY...
  7. Preventing window from minimizing when clicking outside of it?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Preventing window from minimizing when clicking outside of it?: Is there a way to stop a window that is not snapped from minimizing when I click another window? submitted by /u/Double_AA_Battery [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kaotqz/preventing_window_from_minimizing_when_clicking/
  8. Clicking the minimize icon CLOSES the site!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Clicking the minimize icon CLOSES the site!: Clicking on the "minimize" button closes the site as opposed to making it smaller! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clicking-the-minimize-icon-closes-the-site/3a844758-c6b2-4b04-b71b-9f9120ace6e5
  9. Double click on titlebar should minimize window

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Double click on titlebar should minimize window: Hi, Mac works like this (if configured) you can double click on the titlebar and this minimizes the window. Do you know a tool that makes Windows 10 work the same way? submitted by /u/MikeMitterer [link] [comments]...
  10. Minimize Chrome to taskbar with click

in Windows 10 Customization
    Minimize Chrome to taskbar with click: I have always been able to minimize applications to the taskbar when clicking on that icon on the taskbar but lately Google Chrome wouldn't (every thing else minimizes when clicking on it) I can click on the Chrome icon on the taskbar to open the browser but when I click on...