Windows 10: Windows Misidentifies C Drive as Solid State Drive - cannot defrag?

Discus and support Windows Misidentifies C Drive as Solid State Drive - cannot defrag? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, When I was running Windows 7, my system had a small solid state C drive that did not have enough space for windows 10 upgrade. I got a larger... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Flame Red, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Flame Red Win User

Windows Misidentifies C Drive as Solid State Drive - cannot defrag?

Hello,

When I was running Windows 7, my system had a small solid state C drive that did not have enough space for windows 10 upgrade. I got a larger 2TB regular hard disk and used the manufacturer's software to clone the old Windows-7 SSD C drive to the new 2TB and then upgraded to Windows 10.

Now under windows 10, when go into defrag, the C Drive shows as a Solid State drive and of course windows does not want to optimize it.

The new drive definitely is not SSD. I assume somehow that setting was cloned from the old disk.

Is there either a way to change the C drive to a regular "hard disk drive" or force windows to defrag what it thinks is a SSD?

Thank you in advance.

:)

Flame Red, Sep 8, 2015

2. Windows 10 SSD issues - Windows sees my WD Black hard drive as an SSD - wont defragment.

Hey there sentrytv,

Cloning a SSD to a HDD and vice versa can cause such issues related to drivers and the way the different storage devices are recognized.

It is recommended to do fresh install of the OS when moving from one type of storage device to another in order to avoid such issues.

This link may be of use to you.

Captain_WD, Sep 8, 2015
  3. Windows 10 defragment and optimize not working

My c drive cannot be optimization. Media type says it is solid state drive. Please can you help.

SivaMoonsamy, Sep 8, 2015
  4. Word Man Win User

You might want to start by looking in Device Manager (right click Start and select Device Manager) and seeing how that disk drive is identified. Does it show as the SSD?

Word Man, Sep 8, 2015
  5. Flame Red Win User
    Thank you for replying. Looking as Device Manager, it appears that the correct driver for the disk drive is installed and in use. It is not a driver for SSD drive.

I am thinking that this "Media Type" shown in the Optimize Drive is stored somewhere in the registry. But where? I found some settings in the registry, but they are hex?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices

Flame Red, Sep 9, 2015
  6. Flame Red Win User
    Solution!

Run WinSat formal in elevated command prompt and it rescans the disks and resets the disk back to normal disk drive *Smile

Flame Red, Sep 9, 2015
  7. acmanten Win User

acmanten, Sep 9, 2015
  8. Joergi Win User

winsat formal runs a pre-defined set of assessments and saves the data to an XML file in %systemroot%\performance\winsat\datastore. There are no command line parameters available for use with the formal assessment.

From winsat formal

Joergi, Sep 9, 2015
  9. DaiB Win User
    Sadly didn't work for me. Still shows Solid State.

10. dalchina New Member
    Hi, try Win key X, Computer Management, Disk Management.
    Can you post a screenshot?

Secondly, if you (temporarily!) download some other defrag tool, what does that think of C:?

If the first appears normal (i.e. no SSD) and the second would defrag C:, I suppose that suggests the identity of C: is as you say held somewhere else.

dalchina, Oct 15, 2015
  11. DaiB Win User
    Hi thanks. The PC is at another site which I'll be visiting again over the next few days. Yes, I was going to try 'Defragger' to see what that finds. I did look at Disk Management and it displays the drive as 'normal' as it would any other standard C Drive with all the partitions. The Dell PC does use RAID which came as standard so I wonder whether that is part of the problem as Device Manager doesn't list the actual two drive manufacturers etc. The Win 10 upgrade may have thrown something away? I'll let you know what I find for info.

12. DaiB Win User
    OK, so I downloaded 'Defragger' and it instantly found the harddrive(s) and is busy defragging the array. Looks like the Win 10 upgrade with the MS deframenting tool is confused by a Dell RAID array structure?

13. dalchina New Member

Mm, worth researching... and checking for RAID-specific experiences. Maybe you can start a new thread with RAID in the title so people with that expertise will see it?

dalchina, Oct 16, 2015
  14. spartiat Win User
    Same situation here. after upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, only one pair of RAID 0 disks identified as Solid State Drive.

1st pair: 2 x WD 500 GB SATA 3 > has 4 partitions, all of them identified as "Solid state drive"
    2nd pair: 2 x Seagate 500 GB SATA 3 > has 2 partitions, all of them identified as "Hard disk drive"
    3rd pair: 2 x Seagate 500 GB SATA 2 > has 2 partitions, all of them identified as "Hard disk drive"
    All pairs on the same controller.

Windows Misidentifies C Drive as Solid State Drive - cannot defrag? [​IMG]

spartiat, Nov 11, 2015
  15. Almighty1 Win User
    Almighty1, Nov 12, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows Misidentifies C Drive as Solid State Drive - cannot defrag? - Similar Threads - Misidentifies Drive Solid

2. Installing Windows on a Solid State Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing Windows on a Solid State Drive: Hi, it's Annabelle. I am asking this question because I'm planning to install Windows 7 onto a solid state drive, which I'm putting into a brand new tower, and I'm wondering if you might have an answer for me. I have two Western Digital Black solid state drives which I've...
  3. Solid State Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Solid State Drive: If I make 2 partitions on an SSD and write a lot to one of them, can that one partition fail and the other not? Does it work that way? submitted by /u/FluffyAlcatel [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ubw7mp/solid_state_drive/
  4. Solid State Drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Solid State Drives: This is my first time without an HDD. I now have SSD. Does data on an SSD ever fragment? Am I now done with defraging my hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/solid-state-drives/b803253f-0d3a-43af-8484-1d460d1686d5
  5. solid state and hard drives

solid state and hard drives: I have a HP Laptop 17-by3065st,os is windows 10. I have both a ssd and hdd my ssd is low on free space my hdd 1TB has plenty. is there a way to have the HDD drive D: be the primary and keep the SSD drive C: just for windows os? Thanx in advance Jim...
  6. Windows and Solid State Drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows and Solid State Drives: I'm considering getting a new computer with a SSD Wil I have any difficulty installing Windows 10 on the SSD? James https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-and-solid-state-drives/99be41ad-0667-49d3-9dae-c8a52ef82fb8
  7. "Trimming" a solid-state drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    "Trimming" a solid-state drive: Every time I open the defrag app I read, "Never run" and "Needs optimizing." I run the optimizer and it reports "trimmed." But after a few days, it again says "Never run," etc. This is happening consistently. Any idea why--and whether it is cause for concern? Is the fact that...
  8. solid state drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    solid state drive: After replacing my HD and installing win 10. I cant see my SSD. Had win 8 before changing HD. Where do I look? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/solid-state-drive/66ded83f-fb6f-4b1e-bcbb-a479c75e754d
  9. defragging solid state drive

defragging solid state drive: is it true that the life of your solid state drive will be shortened by using windows built-in defragging tool? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defragging-solid-state-drive/49f4347c-3a15-4d5a-a7de-233c6e53349c
  10. moving OS from c: drive to solid state drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    moving OS from c: drive to solid state drive: Hi, really new here, but I have a cheap laptop which only has a 32 Gig C:drive. I purchased a 120 gig solid state drive and i'm now trying to figure out how to move everything to the d: drive where the SSD is located. Also, I cannot upgrade my windows as its saying i don't...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. device manager misidentifies ssd