Windows 10: Windows navigation crash and system restore not working

Discus and support Windows navigation crash and system restore not working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, My partner was mass deleting emails from her aol account on chrome when the system decided to do the following: [img] Now the taskbar... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by euromongrel, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Windows navigation crash and system restore not working

Hello,

My partner was mass deleting emails from her aol account on chrome when the system decided to do the following:

Windows navigation crash and system restore not working [​IMG]

Now the taskbar is non existent, the start button does not work, and the start icons are all the place. Right-clicking on desktop does nothing and the only way to swap between programmes is alt-tab.

I have updated nvidia drivers, run scannow, and run antivirus and malwarebytes, all nothing. I have tried to do all 3 system restore points but keep getting same error that it could not restore: "An unspecified error occurred during System Restore: (Scheduled Checkpoint). Additional information: 0x80070091. "

It is the same in safe mode and from advanced set up in shift+restart.

All the programmes still seem to be working, just not the windows navigation ui.

I do not particularly want to do a full restore, but will if I have to though may see about rolling back to w7....

Grateful for any help please

:)

euromongrel, Mar 30, 2017

2. System Restore and backup restore not working on Windows 10

Hi Dan,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community. Let me assist you.

I understand you are unable to perform System restore on your Windows 10 computer. This might be due to a corruption in the restore service. I suggest you to check the service which helps you perform a System restore.

Method 1: Check the Volume Shadow Copy Service.

Check the Volume shadow copy service in services window. To check follow these steps:

1. Type “Services” in the search box.

2. Right Click on Services and “Run it as an Administrator”.

3. Check for “Volume Shadow Copy” Service.

4. Set the status to “Started” and Startup type to “Automatic”.

Also check the dependency services that are required for Volume Shadows Copy Service to run.
    To check that double click on the service and click on the
    Dependency tab.

If the issue persists, you may try disabling the antivirus program on the computer to check if it helps.

Method 2: Disable security software on the system.

Disable Antivirus and security-related products, if you have any Antivirus installed for (Free) uninstall it, if not then disable the Antivirus, try again to update and check if issue is resolved.

Disclaimer: Antivirus software helps protecting your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you
    have to temporarily disable it to install other software and\or troubleshoot any pertinent issue, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you are connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is
    vulnerable to malware attacks

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Pawan Dhondiyal, Mar 30, 2017
  3. DanFWolfe Win User
    System Restore and backup restore not working on Windows 10

Original title:- Cannot restore backups, system image reset.

I had a problem with my op system and needed to restore. My restore points all did not work, My system image and all of my backups are on a drive that Windows says that I have to format before I can use it. My ISO disk says that the information they need
    to reinstall is missing on my PC. What am I suppose to do.. I cannot fix Windows without purchasing another copy?

DanFWolfe, Mar 30, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Windows navigation crash and system restore not working

Hi: there are various threads on 80070091 as you will see if you search, including this one.
    System Restore fails: AppxStaging %ProgramFiles%\WindowsApp 0x80070091 - - Windows 10 Forums

There is a possible fix amongst that, I believe.

I started that thread, and I found the problem arbitrarily fixed itself after a few weeks when I happened to try again.

In another case, running chkdsk unexpectedly resolved that.
    From an admin command prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!

As to your other issues, assuming you have not yet discovered the value of disk imaging which we repeatedly and strongly recommend, and which had you been using it would have given you an easy way forward, you can try an in-place upgrade repair install if you can't get system restore working.

An In-place upgrade repair install will fix many things, but not those where the settings are not changed by the procedure.

For this you need an installation medium with the same base build as you have installed, and x64 if you have a 64 bits OS, else x86 (32 bits).

You should also make sure there's at least 500Mb of unallocated space on your system disk.

Recommendation:
    Before you perform the following major repair procedure, do create a disk image (see below).

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials
    - this includes a link from which you can obtain a Windows 10 iso file (" download a Windows 10 ISO"), or create a Win 10 bootable medium.

I would recommend creating the bootable medium, as this can be used
    - for any future in-place upgrade repair install
    - to boot from and use its recovery options should Windows become unbootable.
    - to clean install Windows

This will refresh Windows, after the manner of a Windows installation.
    - all/most associations will be unchanged
    - all your programs will be left installed
    - However: if you have installed some on a 2nd drive, these must be uninstalled or reinstalled on C: - else you will get an error message that you can not keep my apps because they arein an unsupported directory.
    - no personal data should be affected
    - you will lose any custom fonts
    - you will lose any customised system icons
    - you may need to re-establish your Wi-Fi connection
    - you will need to redo Windows updates subsequent to the build you have used for the repair install
    - Windows.old will be created
    - system restore will be turned off- you should turn it on again and I recommend you manually schedule a daily restore point.
    - you will need to redo any language downloads including the display language if you changed that)
    - inactive title bar colouring (if used) will be reset to default
    - if Qttabbar is installed, you need to re-enable it in explorer (Options, check Qttabbar)
    This is one of the better features of Win10: as each major build comes out, that's your updated reference build, and as updates are mostly cumulative, there will be few to do.

Please consider using disk imaging regularly. It's a brilliant way to
    - preserve your system (and your sanity)
    - back up your data
    - restore your system to a previously working state in a relatively short time

Recommended: Macrium Reflect (free/commercial) + boot disk/device + large enough external storage medium.

dalchina, Mar 30, 2017
  5. Hi Dalchina,
    Thanks very much for the comprehensive reply - I'll give that a go after work. Any ideas what may have caused it? And in your opinion best sticking to w10 or rolling back to w7 - I don't have any touchscreen stuff or use cortana, and never really had issues with w7 before...

What is the difference between system restore point and disk image? I thought they would be the same?
    Cheers!

6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, as to cause, assuming you/your partner did nothing untoward, I have no idea what could have caused it in particular. There are plenty of reports of non-responsive start menus/task bars/missing or empty icons on the forum. Not something I've experienced.

The system restore error is most likely unrelated. Quite a few reports of that one.

System Restore vs disk imaging.
    System restore protects limited areas including
    - system files
    - drivers
    - registry
    - changes to installed programs.

It does not protect your data, even the data on your system disk.
    It relies on the system and disk being basically intact.
    It is relatively unreliable- restoration can fail when you need it to work.

Restore points can be lost - e.g. dual booting.

Disk imaging is completely different.
    A disk image is a compressed copy of the whole of a partition or disk or set thereof.

Restore points are held on the same disk- whereas disk images can and should be held on external storage.
    If your disk becomes useless, so are your restore points.

A disk image, on the other hand, can be restored to the same or a replacement disk.

A disk image also acts as a full backup from which files can be extracted. It can also be used with a Laplink product to transfer your installed programs to another PC or OS installation.

They are very very different. Some experienced users here have given up entirely on System Restore.

Disk images can be updated (a smaller additional file is added to the image set) so the speed of update and size is reduced.

Disk imaging programs like Macrium Reflect (free/commercial) are relatively robust and well supported.

Try using system restore when your PC is hit by ransomware, or becomes unbootable.

dalchina, Mar 30, 2017
  7. Hey - Thanks again....looks like I've been putting too much faith in the native restore functions!

Will try your fixes and if that doesn't will roll back to w7 I think.

Cheers!

8. dalchina New Member

Win 7 was great.. I ignore Win 10's start menu and the universal apps, Edge and Cortana... unless I can be bothered to say 'Hey Cortana, launch Abbyy Finereader' or some such. So I use it very much like Win 7 - with traditional programs.

It's been very stable.
    And with a few tweaks, some resemblance.

Windows navigation crash and system restore not working [​IMG]

Classic Shell start menu (free)- does everything any of the Windows start menus did and then some- expands in columns across the screen, drag 'n'drop, search works - and note the Win 7 Orb. (Can still use Win 10's start menu with a hot key). So much better.

dalchina, Mar 30, 2017
  9. Hey,

here is the checkdisk event log...hasn't fixed problem:

Checking file system on C:The type of the file system is NTFS.A disk check has been scheduled.Windows will now check the disk. Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ... 383232 file records processed. File verification completed. 10927 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed. Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ... 477874 index entries processed. Index verification completed. 0 unindexed files scanned. 0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found. Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...Cleaning up 22 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.Cleaning up 22 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.Cleaning up 22 unused security descriptors.Security descriptor verification completed. 47322 data files processed. CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal... 38307832 USN bytes processed. Usn Journal verification completed.Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.No further action is required. 243503103 KB total disk space. 83751000 KB in 270428 files. 164352 KB in 47323 indexes. 0 KB in bad sectors. 499819 KB in use by the system. 65536 KB occupied by the log file. 159087932 KB available on disk. 4096 bytes in each allocation unit. 60875775 total allocation units on disk. 39771983 allocation units available on disk.Internal Info:00 d9 05 00 ce d8 04 00 73 b8 08 00 00 00 00 00 ........s.......6f 01 00 00 87 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 o...............Windows has finished checking your disk.Please wait while your computer restarts.

10. dalchina New Member
    Ok, that was just the preliminary step. Continue and do the in-place upgrade repair install.

dalchina, Mar 30, 2017
  11. euromongrel, Mar 30, 2017
  12. euromongrel, Mar 30, 2017
  13. dalchina New Member

1. Make sure you create a disk image beforehand to avoid tears. (Unlikely, but play it safe- don't skip that).

2. Basically you boot to normal mode, stick in Win 10 bootable medium compatible with your OS build, and run setup.exe from that.

dalchina, Mar 30, 2017
  14. Hey - so I did the usb repair install and still doing the same thing....

euromongrel, Mar 31, 2017
  15. So I tried something else....I tried creating a fake user account and signed out as me as administrator and signed in as guest and windows works fine there! So now I know the hardware is fine....just some weird corruption with main user profile....

Not sure how to repair though!

euromongrel, Mar 31, 2017
Thema:

1. Windows navigation crash and system restore not working - Similar Threads - navigation crash system

2. System Restore not working?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    System Restore not working?: Most of my drives were deleted/disappeared for some reason. I've tried everything but nothing would work. So I just decided to System Restore, but the drives I want it to restore cannot be restored because it's deleted. And I want to bring it back by restoring it. Any help?...
  3. System restore not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System restore not working: The problem is that I can make system restore points but they disappear from the wizard and system volume information>systemrestore folder almost immediately. I know this has been covered in many places over the years but none of those approaches works for me. I have...
  4. System restore is not working...

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System restore is not working...: I am having an issue with my Windows 10 desktop. Starting from the beginning, whenever, I go out of town, I remove my HDD from my desktop, put it in an external case and hide it. I have done this many times without issue. I went out of town and returned on Tuesday. Tuesday...
  5. System restore is not working...

in Windows 10 Support
    System restore is not working...: I am having an issue with my Windows 10 desktop. Starting from the beginning, whenever, I go out of town, I remove my HDD from my desktop, put it in an external case and hide it. I have done this many times without issue. I went out of town and returned on Tuesday. Tuesday...
  6. System Restore not working

System Restore not working: 1) Every windows update system restore gets turned off, why in the world is this happening Mr Microsoft? 2) Now system restore has an error I can't fix as yet, I have tried sfc /scannow chkdsk /f /r what else can I try? system I have is win 10 pro 64 bit...
  7. System Restore not Working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System Restore not Working: I have attempted many times with different restore points to restore my laptop, and everytime I receive the same exact answer: "System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed. Details: An unspecified error occurred...
  8. System Restore not working

System Restore not working: Got a problem with the "Create Restore Point" function, it just hangs up the computer and needs TM to shut it down. This is affecting my Anti-Virus software as well as a software removal program since they both try to create a Restore Point before proceeding. I just tried...
  9. System Restore not working

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Restore not working: I've tried system restore at couple of points. Every time it goes through it's thing and says "you system did change, file not found, most likely do to anti-virus software. I disable my Kaspersky and still the same thing. It gave an error # 0x8007005. If I need...
  10. System Restore Not Working

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    System Restore Not Working: Sys restore not restoring, can make a new restore point no problems but throws this message when attempting to restore. [img] Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. 80065