Windows 10: Windows Networking -- Mega flaw here

Discus and support Windows Networking -- Mega flaw here in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there I know this is how windows is SUPPOSED to work but it's a real pain 1) I have a network server with a load of HDD's on it. 2) I allow... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimbo45, Jul 28, 2017.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Windows Networking -- Mega flaw here

Hi there
    I know this is how windows is SUPPOSED to work but it's a real pain

1) I have a network server with a load of HDD's on it.
    2) I allow Windows shared access to say drive HDD1 (multi-media) mounted as drive X .
    3) A smart TV can see the Windows machine but can't access or even see drive X. Seems that remote computers can only access locally attached drives to the windows machine (or locally attached USB devices).

I don't want to allow smart TV direct access to drives on the Network server - the windows machine should be able to allow access to other machines from its own shared resources.

Ok I know most people wouldn't try and "indirectly" share drives - but why not - if the device is shareable then it should be "seeable" from other computers too by simply looking at the relevant computer with the shared drive.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jul 28, 2017

2. N95 & Orange

Vodafone are talking xxxx too. Its a 5 mega pixel. THATS THE END. Its 5 MEGA PIXELS no matter what network or software.
    Message Edited by noxit on 06-Aug-2007 12:16 PM

clarkkent26---01, Jul 28, 2017
  3. jr1312 Win User
    N95 & Orange

Having finally got through to a team leader at Orange she has stated that it is definitely a 5Mp camera and they are going to investigate why I was lied to.

jr1312, Jul 28, 2017
  4. AndreyT Win User

Not necessarily. What makes you believe that such "transitive" sharing should be permitted?

Ability to access restricted resources of the network server is the privilege the server issues to its selected clients. It is a matter of server's decision: which clients should be allowed access to which resources.

Just because server decided to give such access privilege to a specific client does not mean that server wanted to permit this client to distribute this privilege further to whoever/whatever that client pleases. That would constitute a rather loose approach to access control.

Of course, if you really really really want to set up your local network's access control in that way - then you might want to have it in Windows, as an option (!). But it is definitely not acceptable as a default access privilege distribution model. So your claim that it "should" work that way and/or that it is somehow "natural" does not hold water. "Mega flaw"? Not really.

AndreyT, Aug 1, 2017
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

@AndreyT

Reading your post made a lot of sense actually -- I've set the server up properly now -- definitely the best way,

Thanks for a clear and very sensible reply

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Networking -- Mega flaw here - Similar Threads - Networking Mega flaw

2. Windows 11 network flaw. When will Microsoft resolve this issue?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 network flaw. When will Microsoft resolve this issue?: Issues with computers connected to my private network disappearing from the network folder.The following is a link to the only thread I found, that deals with this specific...
  3. Windows 11 network flaw. When will Microsoft resolve this issue?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 network flaw. When will Microsoft resolve this issue?: Issues with computers connected to my private network disappearing from the network folder.The following is a link to the only thread I found, that deals with this specific...
  4. Critical Windows Flaws Email

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Critical Windows Flaws Email: Hi Windows Staff,I got this email regarding remote attacks. I am not sure what to do with it. Is the statement about the critical windows flaws true? IF yes, will Microsoft send updated patches to protect its consumers? See below. Please advise.Thank You....
  5. Flawed software.

Flawed software.: When will you fix the recent updates that cause browsers both firefox and edge to crash every time I try to print from the browsers. Printers work fine when printing from Word. fr...
  6. Windows 10 security flaw?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 security flaw?: There are a whole ton of weird articles saying the NSA informed microsoft about a serious security flaw in windows 10 that I don't particularly think it's true. I would like conformation on whether or not it's true Thanks in advance...
  7. Authenticator flaw.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Authenticator flaw.: Is there a way to block access after accepting a request on Authenticator? My friend was out in public and got two requests at the same time (one was them and another from someone behind them). It got them very worried and this should be a very clear feature if you...
  8. Windows Update is profoundly FLAWED. Here's why.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update is profoundly FLAWED. Here's why.: 1. Doesn't ask if I want the update at all. But the softwares of certain individuals are extremely sensitive to updates. For instance: the DAW I use for my work is now crashing at closing (after update feb.2019.) 2. Should be able to split bigger updates into smaller ones...
  9. Windows 10 security flaw

Windows 10 security flaw: My brother sometimes uses my computer and I once deleted his account cause I thought he wouldn't need it, but he once wanted to use it and he didn't know my password and he created an account on his own. I do know that he has a flash drive that can bypass the password or...
  10. IE Mega slow

in Browsers and Email
    IE Mega slow: whats up with IE? I select a link, IE takes about 10-20 seconds (or more) to decide what I want. When I decide to give up and go elsewhere it suddenly pops up? Its so slow it makes the tortoise look like the hare? *Mad I just came back to add its IE11 and it took so long I...