Windows 10: Windows no longer recognises external disk as NTFS

Discus and support Windows no longer recognises external disk as NTFS in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've got an external hard disk which I was using to back up two computers. The last time I used it it was recognised properly as containing an NTFS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ricecrispies, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Windows no longer recognises external disk as NTFS

I've got an external hard disk which I was using to back up two computers. The last time I used it it was recognised properly as containing an NTFS volume by both computers (both running Windows 10). However this time it is no longer recognised properly by either of the two computers I have tried to connect it to (including one of the ones it worked with last time). Disk manager sees it as containing a "healthy" volume, but not an NTFS one. What could be causing this and what can I do about it? The most important thing for me is to know whether or not the drive can be relied upon for future backups.

:)

ricecrispies, Mar 4, 2017

2. What about bluetooth3+HS in Symbian Anna ?

how is that possible ? I tested my external drive which is only 300gb and ntfs and its not recognised . Also I hear people saying their ntfs drives are not recognized . Are you sure your drive is ntfs ?

Vangelis290189, Mar 4, 2017
  3. CWS666 Win User
    Backup - External Hard Disk Not Recognised

I am using Windows 10

For a while I have been getting a message that my external hard drive is full. This is the disk I use to back up to. I started by deleting everything off the disk and tried to run a backup. I got a message as follows:

"File History doesn't recognise this drive: Select another drive".

As I don't have another drive what can I do to allow File History to use this one please?

The External Hard Disk is 132Gb and the File System is NTFS (Not sure what that is but thought it might be useful!!). There is also the option to change it to FAT32 (Default).

Any ideas anyone?

Charlie Simpson

CWS666, Mar 4, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Windows no longer recognises external disk as NTFS

NavyLCDR, Mar 4, 2017
  5. I've been running that recovery utility for a little while and it has only found 105 files. It stopped finding new files after the first few seconds it was running. So I guess it's not looking good for recovering that partition, but that's not my main concern. What I really need to know is whether the disk hardware is in trouble, or whether I'm OK to keep using it once I've replaced the corrupt partition with a new one. I found a utility that should enable me to get at the S.M.A.R.T. data, but I get the message "SMART status not supported", so I'm really in the dark about the physical health of the disk.

6. I ran Seagate's Seatools and quickly found that the drive has indeed failed. So there's my answer!

7. Bree New Member
    See what CrystalDiskInfo can tell you. I prefer using the Portable App version....
    CrystalDiskInfo Portable | PortableApps.com - Portable software for USB, portable and cloud drives

It could just be that the partition and the data it contains is intact, it's just the partition ID (that tells the system the format) that has been lost. You can set the ID to 0x07 (for NTFS) using Diskpart from an admin command prompt.

Windows no longer recognises external disk as NTFS [​IMG]

If instead the volume is listed as offline, you need to assign it a drive letter - either using Diskpart or Disk Management.

Windows no longer recognises external disk as NTFS [​IMG]

Bree, Mar 4, 2017
  8. Windows no longer recognises external disk as NTFS

Many thanks for the detailed answer. In this case, as I said in my earlier comment that I must have posted as you were writing, I discovered Seagate's Seatools and was able to determine quickly by using them that the drive is indeed physically broken.

ricecrispies, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows no longer recognises external disk as NTFS

1. Windows no longer recognises external disk as NTFS - Similar Threads - longer recognises external

2. Windows PIN no longer recognised.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows PIN no longer recognised.: Hi, I have had Windows 11 on my laptop for quite a few months now with no issues.Now today I find I can't log in with my PIN and every time I log in with my password it tells me I have to set up a PIN which I already had.I've tried to set up a new PIN but it asks for my...
  3. Windows PIN no longer recognised.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows PIN no longer recognised.: Hi, I have had Windows 11 on my laptop for quite a few months now with no issues.Now today I find I can't log in with my PIN and every time I log in with my password it tells me I have to set up a PIN which I already had.I've tried to set up a new PIN but it asks for my...
  4. Lenovo Yoga Slim no longer recognises my external monitor.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lenovo Yoga Slim no longer recognises my external monitor.: I have added windows 11 and now my Lenovo Yoga Slim does not recognise my external monitor. Please help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lenovo-yoga-slim-no-longer-recognises-my-external/9d1b7de4-8d94-4afb-8402-36934a62f57a
  5. Lenovo Yoga Slim no longer recognises my external monitor.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lenovo Yoga Slim no longer recognises my external monitor.: I have added windows 11 and now my Lenovo Yoga Slim does not recognise my external monitor. Please help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lenovo-yoga-slim-no-longer-recognises-my-external/9d1b7de4-8d94-4afb-8402-36934a62f57a
  6. Recovering Overwritten External NTFS Disk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recovering Overwritten External NTFS Disk: I was creating an USB Bootable Memory Stick an accidently overwrote an External 1TB NTFS Hard Disk, what is the best way to try and recover the Data on it. The Disk now shows as a 16gbyte do I have to format it as 1TB and then try to recover the data?...
  7. Laptop no longer recognising external monitors

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Laptop no longer recognising external monitors: Hi, I always use external monitors for work with my laptop. The last time I used my laptop it was working correctly with my personal external monitor a Dell but having returned from holiday and started a new job, I cannot connect to any monitors in the new office, either via...
  8. NTFS Disk Problems

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    NTFS Disk Problems: I run Windows 10 on my computer that has multiple disks. I defragmented my disks and got a response that states that " Dirty disk, run CHKDSK" on this NTFS disk designated K. I ran CHKHDSK K: /f,/r,/x,/b on this disk and obtained after deleting corrupt attribute records anf...
  9. My External HD no longer recognised

My External HD no longer recognised: 4tb harddrive I used to use on my Xbox. I now plug in my computer and my laptop. It does the noise to say it's recognised. And even forms up with the safely eject icon. With open device and printers and eject BUP RD I open device and printers - it's on my devices -...
  10. external ntfs partition recognised by one computer, but not the other

external ntfs partition recognised by one computer, but not the other: I have a 2TB disk in USB 2 housing which I formatted on my desktop computer as an NTFS volume. It is still recognised by this machine as an NTFS volume even when I plugged it in just now. However on my laptop it is just seen as a raw volume. I swapped it into different...