Windows 10: Windows (not just File Explorer) hangs up deleting or moving files

Discus and support Windows (not just File Explorer) hangs up deleting or moving files in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I've run searches but can't find my specific problem, and it's driving me nuts. I'm having trouble moving and deleting files in Windows -- not just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by cpmusic, Mar 18, 2018.

1. cpmusic Win User

Windows (not just File Explorer) hangs up deleting or moving files

I've run searches but can't find my specific problem, and it's driving me nuts.

I'm having trouble moving and deleting files in Windows -- not just File Explorer, but in FreeCommander, as well.

There are times when Windows cooperates fully, but sometimes it stalls when moving (click-and-drag OR cut-and-paste) or deleting files. It doesn't seem to matter whether it's a single file or multiples, and when it's hanging up it does the same thing in FreeCommander as in File Explorer, which tells me that the problem isn't in either of these programs. I get the little popup that indicates movement or deletion, but the graph is blank and Windows reports that it is "calculating." This has gone for up to three minutes (I actually timed it) before I shut down the program in question in Task Manager.

I can't predict when it's going to start doing this, when it will stop, or what's holding it up when it's happening. Even a hard boot won't change it.

Any help would be appreciated.

:)

cpmusic, Mar 18, 2018

2. unable to delete files and folder on hardrive

unable to delete my files and folder on any hard drives and while deleting, window file explorer hangs.

**Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.**

Arun Singh Laur, Mar 18, 2018
  3. File Explorer - Deleting & Moving files - Windows 10

When I try to delete or move files in File Explorer - I get the message invalid MS-Dos Function.

To delete, I have the file/s highlighted and press the delete button

To move, I have the file/s highlighted and drag the files into the new folder etc.

AlanWoodburn, Mar 18, 2018
  4. CountMike New Member

That sounds like a slow HDD but try with Avast disabled, it may be hecking every file transfer and slowing everything down.

CountMike, Mar 18, 2018
  5. cpmusic Win User
    I've gone over this every which way, trying every possible trick I can find on the web, but nothing makes the least bit of difference. As noted, it's intermittent, and using a different file management program doesn't help. Disabling Avast didn't help, and neither did uninstalling it. I ran a thorough scan with Avast and Malwarebytes, but neither turned up any problems. The drive in question doesn't even matter; it happens with my main data/D drive, and also on an extra/E drive I use in a hot-swap dock when needed.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

cpmusic, Mar 29, 2018
  6. spunk Win User
    One or both of your data drives may be in the process of slowing down, or failing.
    Run Check Disk on the drives. Press the Win key+X choose Command Prompt (Admin) or PowerShell (Admin) here type the drive letter of the drive (ie) D: and press enter (ie) D:\> at this prompt type chkdsk /R and press enter. Type a Y for Yes to unmount the drive. Check Disk will go thru 5 stages and take a long time. The longer it takes, the more bad sectors the drive has. If it gets stuck for hours, or fails, the drive needs to be replaced.

spunk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows (not just File Explorer) hangs up deleting or moving files - Similar Threads - File Explorer hangs

2. File Explore hangs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explore hangs: Hi, since today, my File Explorer hangs whenever I select Download folder. The other folders are fine. My Windows 11 update is latest. I need to end the task in Task Manager. How might I resolve this probem?...
  3. File Explore hangs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explore hangs: Hi, since today, my File Explorer hangs whenever I select Download folder. The other folders are fine. My Windows 11 update is latest. I need to end the task in Task Manager. How might I resolve this probem?...
  4. windows file explorer is hanging.

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows file explorer is hanging.: I have tried the fixes recommended in your site but I can't fix it. Can you help? I am using Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-file-explorer-is-hanging/71ac32ec-0b86-418e-a270-0cc93a16ae24
  5. File Explorer Hangs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Hangs: ***Please Read to the End*** There are a lot of fixes I have already tried. I am looking for New Ideas***I have a problem with file explorer hanging. Basically, it won't access any of my files. It will look like it's loading and then not actually load up any of the files....
  6. File Explorer Hangs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Hangs: ***Please Read to the End*** There are a lot of fixes I have already tried. I am looking for New Ideas***I have a problem with file explorer hanging. Basically, it won't access any of my files. It will look like it's loading and then not actually load up any of the files....
  7. File Explorer Hangs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. File Explorer HANGING

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer HANGING: Everytime I try to OPEN a file in FILE EXPLORER, it just HANGS, NOT RESPONDING.... Doesn't matter what kind of file whether PPT, TXT, doesn't matter... I have to END the TASK and it closes out entire FILE EXPLORER window. ANY Ideas? Was it any WINDOWS update? DID not...
  9. File Explorer hanging

File Explorer hanging: Hi All, Have a customer that has new Win 10 machines (i7, 16GB, 512SSD) on 2 of the machines File Explorer is hanging frequently. Have does the usual stuff to set it to My Pc rather that Quick Access, cleared cahe etc but still does it. Quick fix is a script to kill...
  10. File explorer hangs

File explorer hangs: I'm a Windows Insider (build 18334) Since the latest 4 or 5 builds, file manager is behaving very badly. It takes up to ten or more minutes to build up the Quick Access list. Pictures folders often show white thumbs, green bar keeps rolling without success. Makes normal...