Windows 10: Windows not showing folder contents

Discus and support Windows not showing folder contents in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I recently bought a new PC with W10 installed and all seems to have gone smoothly with transferring files etc from my old PC to the new machine. I ran... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Dagwood, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Dagwood Win User

Windows not showing folder contents

I recently bought a new PC with W10 installed and all seems to have gone smoothly with transferring files etc from my old PC to the new machine. I ran Duplicate Cleaner before the transfer and again afterwards as it was obvious there were some folders that had not been picked up as duplicates. Now that most duplicates have been deleted, or so I hope, I have noticed that File Explorer shows folder icons which appear empty and when clicked say This folder is empty. Before I delete any folders I check Properties and I was surprised to see all the empty folders had thousand of files and ran into several Gb's.
    I can't get anything to open and am reluctant to delete them before I am certain.
    Can anyone suggest what is happening?

:)

Dagwood, Jun 6, 2016
  2. mrjcjones Win User

Files App not showing folder contents in all cases

I installed the Files app. The Photos folder contains files as expected and matches the folder/subfolder view I can see when my Nokia 930 ( windowsphone 8.1) is attached to my pc. But the Music folder is empty even though the Music app shows albums, songs,
    etc. and the subfolders and files are shown on the pc.

I have tried reinstalling to no affect.

Any ideas welcome.

mrjcjones, Jun 6, 2016
  3. mrjcjones Win User
    Files App not showing folder contents in all cases

Update. I tried reinstalling again and this time "songs" loaded did show up as folders and subfolders. Odd!

mrjcjones, Jun 6, 2016
  4. dencal Win User

Type Folders in Settings....click on Hidden Files and Folders....under Files and Folders you have options.

dencal, Jun 6, 2016
  5. dperecky Win User
    The files may have all been cleverly changed to hidden and/or system attribute. As per above, in your folder options- make sure that these files are displayed/shown.

dperecky, Jun 7, 2016
  6. Dagwood Win User
    Thanks guys, I'll follow up your suggestions.

Dagwood, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows not showing folder contents - Similar Threads - showing folder contents

2. same folder shows different content at the same time!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    same folder shows different content at the same time!: Hi thereTL;DR: the attached screenshot is from the same folder, accessed from quick access vs roottoday I accidentally faced this issue. I was looking for my Xbox recordings folder to send an educational video to my friend. I was unable to find that under my user's folder, so...
  3. Windows 10 Mail Client Not Showing Contents of GMail Folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Mail Client Not Showing Contents of GMail Folders: I had the problem of the Windows 10 Mail client incorrectly showing GMail folders as empty. No amount of refreshing or changes to the expiry date settings made any difference. The solution: In the GMail web client it is possible to Show or Hide email folders in the folder...
  4. Windows explorer not showing contents of my local Onedrive folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows explorer not showing contents of my local Onedrive folder: I saved 2 files 1 PPT, 1 xlsx to a folder that's synced with Onedrive. When I look for them with Windows Explorer, they don't show up. I double-checked them in Powerpoint and Excel, and confirmed that I indeed saved them to the right folder, but I simply couldn't see them...
  5. desktop is showing contents of a different folder

desktop is showing contents of a different folder: On my pc,I recently moved my onedrive folder to an external hard drive. The desktop folder, however, stayed in the original ( no longer acting as a onedrive folder as such) onedrive folder on c. I went to properties, and moved it to the onedrive folder, then though that...
  6. Lost all content in folders showing empty

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Lost all content in folders showing empty: This has just happened minutes ago while trying to save a Word doc. The content has gone from my open Word docs, all folders system and personal files are showing empty. I only have icon images and blanks when navigating windows, control panel, etc. There is a Windows...
  7. Contents of Folder

Contents of Folder: I am needing to be able to get a list of all of the files in a specific folder. Ultimately, I would like to transfer the list to an excel spreadsheet, but the only way I know of that "MAY" work is to print the file names to an Adobe file and then convert them over to an...
  8. Looking for: Desktop Folder that shows contents on hover/click

Looking for: Desktop Folder that shows contents on hover/click: I had a program that did this Years. It allowed you to make a folder on the desktop, put anything in the folder you wanted, and instead of opening the folder, you could mouse over it like a right click context menu and have access to those files/shortcuts within the folder,...
  9. Mouse Hover to Show Folder Contents Preview

in Windows 10 Customization
    Mouse Hover to Show Folder Contents Preview: I am looking to hover over a folder and get a quick read of what is inside while surfing around a poorly organized file system. Is there anything that will let me do this so I don't have to click in and click out of every folder. [img] 108745
  10. Mouse Over to show preview of folder contents

Mouse Over to show preview of folder contents: All I Know Is I Want That Car*Busted