Windows 10: Windows Notification Center not showing Email Notifications

Discus and support Windows Notification Center not showing Email Notifications in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Since the original release of Windows 10 I've had a periodic problem with the Windows Notification icon in the system tray. I use Outlook 2010 as my... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by moondoggy, Aug 14, 2016.

1. moondoggy Win User

Windows Notification Center not showing Email Notifications

Since the original release of Windows 10 I've had a periodic problem with the Windows Notification icon in the system tray.

I use Outlook 2010 as my email client however I have the built in Windows mail client set up so that I can received email notifications as I like to quickly look at the icon to see of there are notifications and to quickly scan the email subject to determine if I need to sit down and actually open outlook and download my email.

What happens periodically is that the notifications simply quit showing up. I have checked the notification center and Email appears on the list and is turned on. I have also went to the settings for the mail application and have found that notifications are turned on. That being said, a few minutes ago I I clicked on the mail application and there were 4 emails in the list however there wasn't a single notification showing up within the notification icon.

Now each and every time the notifications quite showing up something happens to trigger their return but thus far I have not been able to determine what it is that gets turned off and what it is that mysteriously turns it back on. It seems to me this has something to do with how frequently Windows is polling my email providers server for changes but that's just a thought as to what the issue is. Has anyone else seen this behavior and been able to determine what the issue is and how to fix it? Thanks.

:)

moondoggy, Aug 14, 2016
  2. KDSFX Win User

Action Center not showing mail or calendar notifications

I have the windows 10 calendar and email apps setup but they do not show any notifications in the action center. I have the email accounts set to show notifications in the action center but when I go to the setting page from action center to select which
    apps show notifications in the action center, email and calendar are not listed? any one else have this problem or know how to fix it?

KDSFX, Aug 14, 2016
  3. Kenny Mc Win User
    Outlook email not found in Settings > Notifications

After upgrading my Lumia 1520 to official Windows 10 mobile build 10586.164 with Update Advisor notifications for my 2 email stop working.

Checked under every account settings for notifications and "Play notification sound" and "Show Notification in action center" (literally translated from my language) are checked.

I try find Outlook email app under main Settings > Notification but the app not showing in available list for managing app notifications.

What i need to do for add Outlook email app in notification listing for managing my email notifications?

Kenny Mc, Aug 14, 2016
  4. ARC1020 Win User

I've seen this behaviour, but I haven't been able to determine the root cause. Like you say, you receive no notifications in the Action Centre/Taskbar icon to inform you that you've received new emails, but when you open the Mail app to create a new email for example, there are new emails just sat in your inbox. The problem is when I try to reproduce it to figure out what's happening, it then starts working correctly. Until the next time...

Although I have Outlook 2010 installed, I don't use it anymore (with 'Mail' being set as the default email program) and I'm using Outlook.com as my only email provider. Therefore, as the same problem happens to me too, I don't think the problem is due to your email provider or Outlook 2010. Instead, I think it's possibly due to a buggy Action/Notification Centre. In addition to intermittently not receiving email notifications, I also receive calendar notifications for items that I deleted from the calendar some time before, so I personally think the whole lot needs sorting out.

Just out of interest though, if you go to Windows Settings > Privacy > Background Apps. Do you have 'Mail' listed there as a background app?

Windows Notification Center not showing Email Notifications [​IMG]

ARC1020, Aug 15, 2016
  5. ARC1020 Win User
    If you don't see 'Mail' listed in Background Apps, one thing you could try is resetting the Mail app in order to make it become visible in the Background Apps section. Obviously, I haven't found out yet whether or not this fixes the issue, but it could be possible that when the Mail app isn't running or suspended, it needs to be able to run background processes in order for new email notifications to be displayed.

To reset the Mail app, go to Windows Settings > System > Apps & Features > Mail and Calendar > Advanced Options > Reset. Then reboot PC.

Tutorial here:
    App - Reset in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Back-up any emails that are only stored locally in the mail app, I.E. Not stored on a mail server or in your Outlook 2010 pst file.

You may need to press the reset button twice if at first it comes up with an error in red writing saying that the app couldn't be reset.

This will remove everything, reset the Mail And Calendar apps back to default factory settings and will need to be setup again (including re-enabling Notifications in the Mail App Settings).

Mail will then be listed under Background Apps. However, I noticed that Calendar then disappears from the Background Apps section instead. I'm not entirely sure whether this is normal or whether I should be banging my head against the desk... *Confused

ARC1020, Aug 15, 2016
  6. moondoggy Win User
    At first I didn't see Mail in the background apps list so I performed the app reset and it now shows up in the listing. That being said, after a restart of my PC I waited to see if the notification icon would show any new mail and it never showed a single one. I knew there were new emails present because I was monitoring my inbox via my cell phone. Eventually, I gave up and used Outlook 2010 to download what I had in my inbox. Now, like I said in my original email, tomorrow may be a new day and I may start seeing new email notifications.

moondoggy, Aug 16, 2016
  7. moondoggy Win User
    OK, I wanted to update this posting as I finally have notifications appearing in the Action Center.

Apparently, my problems were all related to configuration and setup not a specific problem with my system or the Mail application however I did uninstall and reinstall the mail application during this process so it's hard to tell if the reinstall triggered anything or not.* Here's what I do know.

In the MAIL application itself if you click on the gear for settings and you select Manage Accounts you need to select the email account you have a concern with and then select "Change Mailbox Sync Settings". To get notifications to appear in in the action center and change the notification icon in the system tray you need to make sure that the selection option for "Download New Email" is set to "As items Arrive". Apparently, this was my problem as somehow during the 1607 Upgrade that selection option got changed to "Every 15 minutes". Also, I think this option only works if you have the Mail app open or have opened it during your logon session. Since I rarely open the Mail app (I use Outlook 2010 as my mail client) this was probably why I felt that the notifications were inconsistent.

In addition to the above I did note an inconsistency that's worth noting. In the Mail application under Settings -> Notifications you have the option to turn notifications on and to select if you want to display a banner and play a sound. However, if you open Settings -> System -> Notifications and Actions you will find the Mail application listed with the option to turn notifications on and off. If you click on the Mail icon within that list you will find additional switches where you can turn the banner and the sound off as well. What's important to note is that the System setting override whatever settings exist in the application settings as I have the Mail settings configured to show the banner and play a sound however in the system settings I only have the banner turned on. To me having the same option in two locations where one locations can override another is very confusing so I'm not sure what Microsoft's thought process is in regard to the Mail application.

moondoggy, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Notification Center not showing Email Notifications - Similar Threads - Notification Center showing

2. Notifications Center

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Notifications Center: Can someone help me? Because whenever I swipe my touchpad the notification center keeps popping out. Even I disable it, it keeps popping out whenever I swipe my touchpad. It annoys me because I keep accidentally swiping it and then it keeps popping out. Please help me....
  3. notification center

in Windows 10 Gaming
    notification center: there is no notifcation center. when i press windows N it only shows the date and time please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/notification-center/6a88f5f0-c29e-413d-abc6-2b9b25ac2130
  4. notification center

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    notification center: there is no notifcation center. when i press windows N it only shows the date and time please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/notification-center/6a88f5f0-c29e-413d-abc6-2b9b25ac2130
  5. Notifications not showing in Action Center

in Windows 10 Customization
    Notifications not showing in Action Center: I have applications that are showing notification banners but never show up in the Action Center even though I have it enabled. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/notifications-not-showing-in-action-center/8532d504-e5ee-45c4-ae25-6a6b80f04f17
  6. Outlook Notifications not showing because of Windows 10 Notification Center

Outlook Notifications not showing because of Windows 10 Notification Center: Hi, I want to have Outlook New Email Notification banner displaying, without the Notification showing via the Windows 10 Notification Center. I have gone to Outlook Mail Settings and enabled the Notification Banner. And in Windows Notifications Center Settings, I have: -...
  7. Action center not showing notifications

Action center not showing notifications: Basically I get notification bubbles but when I open action center, there are no notifications. For example, if I turn off Windows defender, I get notification popup like in first picture. But when I open it, there is nothing. The popup icon clears after wards as if I...
  8. Notifications not showing in action center

Notifications not showing in action center: Notifications not showing in action center, it shows the number of notifications I have and they show pop ups. But when I click the notification button its empty. Doing a reboot makes them all show up for a while but it's really annoying that I have to do this so often. Any...
  9. Notification Center

Notification Center: Hello, today i switched off my DiscordPTB app on no notification for trying some assets cause i don't know why even i got everything my discord dont send me notification. By the way when i switched on OFF i can't put on ON cause u can see on the screen is unselectable...can...
  10. Action Center not showing notifications

Action Center not showing notifications: Action Center shows that I have notifications. However, when I open the Action Center there are no notifications; notifications not showing. This problem started after the Feature update to Windows 10, version 1809 which was installed on 10/2. I tried these suggestions...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. lumia 640 news banner stopped showing headline in action center